The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9380
Original post by ubi1
Don't know. All I know is this season Jokovic is doing everything possible to win French open.

Which is why choosing Becker wasn't exactly a great choice.
Reply 9381
Original post by Roger1

I herd somewhere that Marian Vaida dj0kvics long time coach wanted more time with his family or something?...
Reply 9382
Original post by ubi1
I herd somewhere that Marian Vaida dj0kvics long time coach wanted more time with his family or something?...

Ah, ok. It makes sense now somewhat.
Reply 9383
Original post by Roger1
Ah, ok. It makes sense now somewhat.

Is Qatar open starting 2maro ?
Original post by Roger1
No Rotterdam. Perhaps he plans on playing the Davis Cup tie after the AO. No MC again, although it's understandable at this stage of his career.

Incidentally, it looks like he's going to use the bigger racket this season. I don't know whether he will play Davis Cup or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9385
Original post by Krish4791
Incidentally, it looks like he's going to use the bigger racket this season. I don't know whether he will play Davis Cup or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've Predicted 63 Match wins for Fed this new season.
Reply 9386
Original post by Roger1

But Murray won Wimbledon and Lendl never did so Becker never winning RG shouldn't impede Nole too much. To be fair his clay game is pretty good already, I think if his mental game was better he would've won it this year so maybe that's where Becker can make the difference
Original post by ubi1
I've Predicted 63 Match wins for Fed this new season.

Seems reasonable: I'll go with a range of 58 - 68 wins.
Seems reasonable: I'll go with a range of 58 - 68 wins.

75% w/l seems good to me. I can't see him above 80% now, he can't match the new top 4 over a season.
Reply 9389
Original post by Rakas21
75% w/l seems good to me. I can't see him above 80% now, he can't match the new top 4 over a season.

63-15 ? Djokovic is going to get 80-5:frown:
Original post by lizzy95
But Murray won Wimbledon and Lendl never did so Becker never winning RG shouldn't impede Nole too much. To be fair his clay game is pretty good already, I think if his mental game was better he would've won it this year so maybe that's where Becker can make the difference

While Djokovic did make a pretty significant mental lapse against Rafa at RG (touching the net when he was 4-3 up) I don't think we can attribute that loss to mentality alone. The match was a mirror image of the Australian Open loss Nadal endured to him the previous year after he missed a routine backhand in the same position of the final set. Both played incredible matches and it was really the matter of a few points here or there. Djokovic does tend to have periods where he goes away in matches (and annoying tendency to overstate potential injuries, still) but as far as mentality goes he's still phenomenally resilient when behind - look at both matches against Wawrinka this year, at the AO and USO. What Becker will bring is more perspectives on how to beat Nadal, plus I think he'll encourage Nole to approach the net behind his serve a lot more, as Becker did in his years on the tour.

Rafa has a rematch with Rosol tomorrow in Doha - I'm expecting he'll go for a double bagel blow out in revenge for Wimbledon 2012 :biggrin:
Original post by Rakas21

Yeah, maybe not - but I think he can break back into the Top 4 one more time. Ferrer is basically the same age, and I would not be surprised to see him dropping a lot of points this year, so most likely Federer and Del Potro will try and fight for the No. 4 ranking as Andy Murray moves back up to 3.
Reply 9392

Let's just hope the switch is a successful one this time...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lizzy95

Perhaps you are right, although I think Nole is gonna incorporate more S&V and net play into his game, which is why he hired Becker... He is finding new ways to beat Nadal, which is a smart thing to do.
who here plays tennis? (as opposed to just watching it)

what your racket head and grip size?
Reply 9394
Yeah, maybe not - but I think he can break back into the Top 4 one more time. Ferrer is basically the same age, and I would not be surprised to see him dropping a lot of points this year, so most likely Federer and Del Potro will try and fight for the No. 4 ranking as Andy Murray moves back up to 3.

I've Fed finishing at 4 this season... With Ferrer on a free-fall and Delpo not consistent enough and with the good form Fed showed at the end of last season, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Fed to finish in the top 4.
Reply 9395
Original post by Sirocco11
While Djokovic did make a pretty significant mental lapse against Rafa at RG (touching the net when he was 4-3 up) I don't think we can attribute that loss to mentality alone. The match was a mirror image of the Australian Open loss Nadal endured to him the previous year after he missed a routine backhand in the same position of the final set. Both played incredible matches and it was really the matter of a few points here or there. Djokovic does tend to have periods where he goes away in matches (and annoying tendency to overstate potential injuries, still) but as far as mentality goes he's still phenomenally resilient when behind - look at both matches against Wawrinka this year, at the AO and USO. What Becker will bring is more perspectives on how to beat Nadal, plus I think he'll encourage Nole to approach the net behind his serve a lot more, as Becker did in his years on the tour.

Rafa has a rematch with Rosol tomorrow in Doha - I'm expecting he'll go for a double bagel blow out in revenge for Wimbledon 2012 :biggrin:

I definitely agree with you on your AO12 and RG13 match comparisons as Nadal could've easily won in Australia and Djokovic in Paris, I think if Djokovic had a choice he would probably go for this. I think although his mental strength was still good last season it was off his highest level (2011 season) for example Djokovic getting blown away in the 3rd set at RG and of course throwing away the lead in the 5th; Djokovic throwing away breaks in the 2nd and 3rd set in Wimbledon and the loss of the 3rd set in the US Open. Of course on all those occasions he didn't exactly have the easiest of opponents but if 2011 Djokovic was in those situations I think he could've taken all the grand slams last year. I think that's where Becker may be off assistance because as far as his play goes he can beat anyone on any surface at any time his mental side cost him last year. That's just my opinion though, pretty obvious who my favourite player is... :s-smilie:
Original post by Jack93o

Racket head size - roughly 99-100sq inch Midplus; Grip size: European Grip size 3 (about 110mm)
Original post by Jack93o

I play - I have two main rackets: Babolat Pure Drive GT+ and a WIlson Juice, both 100 sq inch head size.Grip size 4 1/4.
Nadal vs Rosol on now!

EDIT: What the hell is Nadal wearing? Lol :biggrin:
The Nadal-Rosol rematch is on.

Rosol waited ages for Nadal to go to the net for the coin toss first, started imitating him bouncing around the net and then elected to serve second. Everything Rafa hates - obvious Rosol is trying to get in his face early on. What a prick - just play the game.

Latest