The Student Room Group

Best university for computer science with a btec qualification

What are the best universities in London that accept btec qualifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Brunel is very good for engineering and science subjects and it accepts btec extended diplomas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Generally, the best BTEC-friendly universities are Brunel and City. While UCL etc. take BTECs, they are not as alert to the different skills that BTEC students have, when compared to A-level students.

However, if you have an applied science BTEC, you might find it varies a lot as to whether they will take your BTEC as relevant for CS - so do check with the admissions tutors at each place via email.

George
Reply 3
How about King's? They offer DDD at BTEC.

Original post by gbuchanan
Generally, the best BTEC-friendly universities are Brunel and City. While UCL etc. take BTECs, they are not as alert to the different skills that BTEC students have, when compared to A-level students.

Intriguing, what do you mean by this?
Reply 4
Kings is the best university you can get into with BTEC, I dont think this was available last year, but this year they accept BTEC considering its advanced diploma
Reply 5
Original post by YAP
How about King's? They offer DDD at BTEC.

Intriguing, what do you mean by this?

Mmm... some universities take BTECs but make no allowance for the differences in learning styles between BTEC and A Level (e.g. weight of coursework versus examinations).

Some senior staff voice very negative opinions of BTEC students. As a faculty member (at a Russell Group university in London), I've heard colleagues talk about "BTEC riff-raff" and "BTEC no-hopers". That institution takes BTEC qualifications though. If an institution has that sort of attitude, it isn't going to be good to be there as a BTEC student, and in that case, the drop-out of BTEC students was way higher than 'A' level students.

The point I wish to make is that accepting entry with BTECs isn't the same as understanding the background of BTEC students, nor the same as expecting the same outcome for them.
Hence, there is a huge difference between 'accepting' and 'valuing' BTECs? This isn't a dig against a single institution, but if they can't answer how many BTECs they get, and what their relative success rate is (with real facts and figures)....run.

George
Reply 6
Original post by gbuchanan
Some senior staff voice very negative opinions of BTEC students. As a faculty member (at a Russell Group university in London), I've heard colleagues talk about "BTEC riff-raff" and "BTEC no-hopers". That institution takes BTEC qualifications though. If an institution has that sort of attitude, it isn't going to be good to be there as a BTEC student, and in that case, the drop-out of BTEC students was way higher than 'A' level students.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Hope you're not talking about King's?! (I checked the website, there isn't a Gordon in the informatics department, so fingers crossed... :smile: )
Original post by mahad1912
What are the best universities in London that accept btec qualifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend is doing Computer Science at Queen Mary's. He got in with DDD Computer Science BTEC. Most universities will accept you, as long as you assure them you're not bad at mathematics. i,e GCSE maths or any maths competitions.

However it'd be harder to get into an engineering course. Such as Computing Systems (electronics engineering and computer science mixed). You will also have to catch up with other people in the first year, work on Mathematics more.

Queen Mary is a reputable university for Computer Science, good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
My friend is doing Computer Science at Queen Mary's. He got in with DDD Computer Science BTEC. Most universities will accept you, as long as you assure them you're not bad at mathematics. i,e GCSE maths or any maths competitions.

However it'd be harder to get into an engineering course. Such as Computing Systems (electronics engineering and computer science mixed). You will also have to catch up with other people in the first year, work on Mathematics more.

Queen Mary is a reputable university for Computer Science, good luck.

Queen Mary is on my uni list so that's good to know.

What about getting into it with a btec in applied science?

Would it be harder or would they even consider it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Queen Mary is on my uni list so that's good to know.

What about getting into it with a btec in applied science?

Would it be harder or would they even consider it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would not consider it, or you'd have very very little chance. They make an exception for Computer Science BTEC since it is directly related to the course. They prefer A'level mathematics students because they want proof that you're good with logical interpretation.

It may be hard to get into Queen Mary's, but some other universities will accept your BTEC Applied Science for a computer science course.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
They would not consider it, or you'd have very very little chance. They make an exception for Computer Science BTEC since it is directly related to the course. They prefer A'level mathematics students because they want proof that you're good with logical interpretation.

It may be hard to get into Queen Mary's, but some other universities will accept your BTEC Applied Science for a computer science course.

So I guess I shouldn't put qmul as one of my uni choices then. Although I will get back to them again and talk to the right people to see what my chances are.

Do you think my chances are still any good even if I compromise the uni rank?

And do they look at how you did in gcse ict and maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I guess I shouldn't put qmul as one of my uni choices then. Although I will get back to them again and talk to the right people to see what my chances are.

Do you think my chances are still any good even if I compromise the uni rank?

And do they look at how you did in gcse ict and maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're probably better off ringing them and asking them straight. :smile:
If you know any computer languages and can produce a nice portfolio then you may actually have a chance, however some units such as Anglia Ruskin would be fine with anything. But again, its not an aspirational university.
I suppose if they do consider you and you don't have maths a levels, they'll definitely look at your GCSE. But Thats only if they consider you in the first place.
ICT doesn't have much to do with computer science. Unless you did some sort of Java scripting in there, I know I did. But it wasn't necessary for my ict course.
It's a real shame I was an ******* at school and only got a C in gcse maths. It's come back to haunt me with the options available

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spaghetti
It's a real shame I was an ******* at school and only got a C in gcse maths. It's come back to haunt me with the options available

It's always worth contacting the university's admissions office in such circumstances, before applying, to see if there's something you can take at your college as a substitute for GCSE maths. For instance, if they normally ask for a grade B, but you have a C, they might make you an offer that would ask for Functional Skills in Maths at level 2.
Original post by DrAndrewColes
It's always worth contacting the university's admissions office in such circumstances, before applying, to see if there's something you can take at your college as a substitute for GCSE maths. For instance, if they normally ask for a grade B, but you have a C, they might make you an offer that would ask for Functional Skills in Maths at level 2.

Well, I have a distinction in my Maths for IT Practitioners module, however I've already sent my application off and received all offers, so it's a bit too late. I never really thought of looking into the top tier unis because I've always been an average student, although I feel I am above average when it comes to IT. I think I played it safe, maybe a bit too safe.

Edit: by playing safe I mean I think the universities I applied to were a very safe bet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Spaghetti
Well, I have a distinction in my Maths for IT Practitioners module, however I've already sent my application off and received all offers, so it's a bit too late. I never really thought of looking into the top tier unis because I've always been an average student, although I feel I am above average when it comes to IT. I think I played it safe, maybe a bit too safe.

No worries. Either way, best of luck come August, and if your results are better than you dared hope, don't forget about Adjustment:

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/results/better-than-expected

As the page notes, even if an institution isn't listing vacancies on the Adjustment system, still give them a call.
Reply 16
yeah im starting Computer Science At leeds next year with and the requirements are DDD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending