The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Continuing with my goal of clearing as much of my stalled anime backlog as possible before the new year, I've finally finished Xam'd. I originally stalled it at four episodes as I couldn't get into it (a lot going on at once, with explanations and world building only coming in dribs and drabs), but after about the 10th episode I was hooked, and marathoned the remainder in two days. Wasn't overly satisfied with the ending, though. :s-smilie:

Next up is early noitaminA offering Jyu Oh Sei; I haven't actually started this one, but count it as being on my stalled list since I actually have it on DVD... and it's just been lying there for over half a year. :p: Am also curious to see how impressive my Blu-ray player's 'DVD enhancing' is. :beard:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
For me Obito didn't really cut it, all he went on was spewing crap about Rin a million times and then Naruto comes in with his talk no jutsu and that's basically what happened, it was horrible. The only thing that can make this arc better is Madara and I have to say the last few chapters have been pretty good but still doesn't make up for the mess with Obito. I just want him to die already.

Catch up to One Piece ASAP the current arc is amazing, people are considering it to be better than Marineford (I don't think it is though :P).

YH Obito was a real let down in terms of villains I would of preferred the bada** that was Tobi to be the villain as I think hes the best vilain in the show if you think about it. He did over his best friend, sensei and his son with no remorse and was just a cool and calculating carachter which you'd have thought was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else. Obito didnt happen for me im just gonna erase him from my mind.
Reply 6222
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Continuing with my goal of clearing as much of my stalled anime backlog as possible before the new year, I've finally finished Xam'd. I originally stalled it at four episodes as I couldn't get into it (a lot going on at once, with explanations and world building only coming in dribs and drabs), but after about the 10th episode I was hooked, and marathoned the remainder in two days. Wasn't overly satisfied with the ending, though. :s-smilie:

I enjoyed Xam'd.I remember reviewing it for our now extinct thread. :tongue: The opening by Boom Boom Satellites was also golden. :yes:

Next up is early noitaminA offering Jyu Oh Sei; I haven't actually started this one, but count it as being on my stalled list since I actually have it on DVD... and it's just been lying there for over half a year. :p: Am also curious to see how impressive my Blu-ray player's 'DVD enhancing' is. :beard:

I also liked Jyu Oh Sei, was a favourite during its broadcast season.
Reply 6223
I can only assume they're planning a second season of Unbreakable Machine-Doll as the last episode had no closure at all. In any case, the plot didn't leave a lot to be desired in the end, despite some promise to begin with. I did like Yaya, though. :giggle:
Just posted my Top 12 Anime of 2013 list on my blog, if anyone's interested. :smile:
Just posted my Top 12 Anime of 2013 list on my blog, if anyone's interested. :smile:

I totally agree with you on your first choice, who would dare to argue? I loved the series and honestly it's the best i've ever seen xD Though i was totally annoyed at the ending! I was crying with disappointment cuz it didn't answer anything! But then again... got me excited for the next series XD

I liked your choices, maybe i'll give the others a shot :biggrin:
Original post by AquaBubblez
I totally agree with you on your first choice, who would dare to argue? I loved the series and honestly it's the best i've ever seen xD Though i was totally annoyed at the ending! I was crying with disappointment cuz it didn't answer anything! But then again... got me excited for the next series XD

I liked your choices, maybe i'll give the others a shot :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: Yeah, the ending (or lack of one) was a bit disappointing, but I'll probably end up checking out the manga eventually. At least they didn't come up with a lame anime-original ending. :p:
Thanks! :biggrin: Yeah, the ending (or lack of one) was a bit disappointing, but I'll probably end up checking out the manga eventually. At least they didn't come up with a lame anime-original ending. :p:

IKR! I'm too scared to look at the manga lol Perhaps i will since i;m dying to know a lot of answers xD Who was your fav character? Mine is levi xD I also liked Annie heehee :colone:
IKR! I'm too scared to look at the manga lol Perhaps i will since i;m dying to know a lot of answers xD Who was your fav character? Mine is levi xD I also liked Annie heehee :colone:

Probably Armin for me, I always like strategist-type characters. :yes:
Probably Armin for me, I always like strategist-type characters. :yes:

are you reading the manga? Apparently his character in the anime didn't do him justice, in the manga his character was more developed, and there was more on his teamwork with eren; they work well together c:
are you reading the manga? Apparently his character in the anime didn't do him justice, in the manga his character was more developed, and there was more on his teamwork with eren; they work well together c:

Not yet, no - I've got too many other series on the go. :tongue: More character development can only be a good thing, though!
Original post by Rothwell
Personally... I couldn't get past episode 2 of SnK :blush:

haha I was the same until my bro forced me to watch the rest with him lol it gets better xD

Not yet, no - I've got too many other series on the go. :tongue: More character development can only be a good thing, though!

Yup! I'm planning to read it after my exams in Jan! Heehee, can't wait to plunge into the unknown xD
Original post by Rothwell
Well, I have episode 3 downloaded if I ever feel like trying again :smile: I just wish I weren't so picky with tropes.

you will love it :colone: you'll get this gut feeling, it's the feeling you get when going on rollercoasters; scared to death, naah I'm kidding! Though you do get a similar feeling :biggrin: it's for the thrill and I hope you continue it :smile:
Reply 6233
It's highly likely that a third season of Shingeki no Kyojin will happen once the manga has finished or at least has made some headway, given its overwhelming popularity. With this in mind, I didn't really consider the ending of the second season to be an actual ending. Of course, nothing has been green lit, so it could well be. Let's hope not.
Reply 6234

Not a bad list at all. Many I'd feature such as Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan (naturally), Psycho Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, Chihayafuru S2, Suisei no Gargantia and Zetsuen no Tempest. I suppose I would also put Hataraku Maou-sama! in my list because it was awesome.

The only thing I can't see that really stood out in a big way, and it's probably because you haven't seen it, is Monogatari S2. It's simply brilliant. Similarly, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S really came into its own during the sister arc, so it deserves a feature for me. Trying to think offhand…

I know you gave it an honourable mention, but a certain someone wouldn't forgive me if I didn't cite Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my list. I'd also feature Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince as it turned out to be considerably better than I initially thought. Same could be said of Ars Nova. Dammit, the more I think, the more comes to me. Kyousogiga was great too. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was easily one of the best romance series of the year. Oh, screw it. This is precisely why I don't create lists. :sad:

Edit:

I am intrigued by how high Gatchaman Crowds is. I was meaning to watch the first episode after seeing the PV and never got around to it. It looked really stylish too. One to marathon tomorrow, I think. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
Not a bad list at all. Many I'd feature such as Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan (naturally), Psycho Pass, Shin Sekai Yori, Chihayafuru S2, Suisei no Gargantia and Zetsuen no Tempest. I suppose I would also put Hataraku Maou-sama! in my list because it was awesome.

The only thing I can't see that really stood out in a big way, and it's probably because you haven't seen it, is Monogatari S2. It's simply brilliant. Similarly, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S really came into its own during the sister arc, so it deserves a feature for me. Trying to think offhand…

I know you gave it an honourable mention, but a certain someone wouldn't forgive me if I didn't cite Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my list. I'd also feature Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince as it turned out to be considerably better than I initially thought. Same could be said of Ars Nova. Dammit, the more I think, the more comes to me. Kyousogiga was great too. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo was easily one of the best romance series of the year. Oh, screw it. This is precisely why I don't create lists. :sad:

Edit:

I am intrigued by how high Gatchaman Crowds is. I was meaning to watch the first episode after seeing the PV and never got around to it. It looked really stylish too. One to marathon tomorrow, I think. :yes:

:colone:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
:colone:

Hmm, now I have an idea of who gave me Jojo's bizzare adventure (The anime and manga) as my secret santa :biggrin:.
Original post by Aiko

Fortunately, I have all the weekly rankings posts on my blog to help me narrow things down - if a show consistently featured in the Top 5 for its season, chances are it deserves to be featured in my end of year list too. :p: I don't rely purely on the statistics though, I've moved them up and down a bit based on things such as how well they ended, how much they've stuck in my mind (especially those that aired in the first half of the year) etc.

I wish I knew what it was about Bakemonogatari that I didn't like... even my rating of 2.5/5 feels generous, but I've kept it on the assumption that the show isn't bad, I just didn't 'get' it. Much in the same way that I really appreciated and probably overrate Genshiken Nidaime. :giggle: I did give Nisemonogatari's first episode a chance, but got no further, not much point forcing myself through something I know I won't like. :dontknow:

My reasons for skipping To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S were similar, if less negative - I found Index dire, and though I preferred the first series of Railgun, I wasn't exactly wowed by it either. Thought there were other more promising all-new series in the Spring season, like Red Data Girl and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge... :erm: okay, I probably made the wrong choice there, I'll admit it. :p:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure probably lost out due to competition in its season (Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Shin Sekai Yori etc... that was a great season!) I'm looking forward to the sequel, though. :biggrin: My thoughts on Kyousougiga changed on a weekly basis, but were definitely more positive than not by the end of the season. :smile: Haven't seen the others you mentioned. :no:

Original post by Aiko
Edit:

Fantastic! I think you'll like it. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6238
Fortunately, I have all the weekly rankings posts on my blog to help me narrow things down - if a show consistently featured in the Top 5 for its season, chances are it deserves to be featured in my end of year list too. :p: I don't rely purely on the statistics though, I've moved them up and down a bit based on things such as how well they ended, how much they've stuck in my mind (especially those that aired in the first half of the year) etc.

Definitely helps. I was trying to remember everything I had watched that stood out this year off the top of my head in my previous post and this was around three in the morning. :tongue:

I wish I knew what it was about Bakemonogatari that I didn't like... even my rating of 2.5/5 feels generous, but I've kept it on the assumption that the show isn't bad, I just didn't 'get' it. Much in the same way that I really appreciated and probably overrate Genshiken Nidaime. :giggle: I did give Nisemonogatari's first episode a chance, but got no further, not much point forcing myself through something I know I won't like. :dontknow:

The series as a whole is very much an acquired taste, I think. As you say, you either get it or you don't. As a big fan of Nisio Isin's works, I've always enjoyed watching the anime adaptations by Shaft (or White Fox for Katanagatari, hence the signature). That and Monogatari S2 really upped the ante, turning out to be easily one of the strongest showings of the year for me. It's a shame that you probably won't see it. At least, not in the foreseeable future, given your impression of the earlier seasons.

My reasons for skipping To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S were similar, if less negative - I found Index dire, and though I preferred the first series of Railgun, I wasn't exactly wowed by it either. Thought there were other more promising all-new series in the Spring season, like Red Data Girl and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge... :erm: okay, I probably made the wrong choice there, I'll admit it. :p:

Similarly, but to a lesser extent, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S came into its own, particularly during the sisters arc, as previously mentioned, otherwise it's unlikely it would even get a mention in any 'best of' list of mine. It helps that I like the characters too, especially Mikoto.

I never did pass the first episode of Red Data Girl or Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge? Worth watching both?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure probably lost out due to competition in its season (Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Shin Sekai Yori etc... that was a great season!) I'm looking forward to the sequel, though. :biggrin: My thoughts on Kyousougiga changed on a weekly basis, but were definitely more positive than not by the end of the season. :smile: Haven't seen the others you mentioned. :no:

Robotics;Notes is another I saw a few episodes of, but ended up stalling in favour of others. I should really get back to it.

Fantastic! I think you'll like it. :yes:

Will watch it now. :smile:
Just finishes Toradora and I have to say it was a great watch and one of the better rom coms I've seen. The story was well written and it does a good job of inducing viewers emotions but the best thing for me was the soundtrack and I mean the way they played the soundtrack with the scenes in the anime was perfect and portrayed a great sense of emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending