The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel like 2013 went by WAY too fast??

It's already the last day of 2013. I swear it feels like I was celebrating New Year's 2013 just two weeks ago. I think it was because I moved to London in October and it was a move that I first found out about in February. It was my first international move in 9 years haha. Other than that, I got into university for 2014 entry. Also, some of my closest friends already started uni back in September so it was a lot different. It was quite a year!

Lol these are probably some of those 1 AM thoughts that I normally have :colondollar:
Anyone else feel like 2013 went by too fast? Why do you think made it go by so fast?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to be 21 next year, I can't believe. I still remember being at my infant school: lying to my teacher that I went to the headmistress' office, picking up raisins of the floor to eat after somebody dropped them, trading Pokemon cards, pretending to be a dog in the school field, experiencing my first splinter etc...

Gone too fast.
Reply 2
It so did! So so so so fast.
Reply 3
We're going to die soon.
No. I was painfully aware of the passing of each day
It's going faster because of rapidly advancing technology. Even my mum agrees that its going faster now that she's older than when she was younger.

If we both think the year is going by rapidly, it has to be because we have so much more clouding our minds and distracting us that we don't have time to really chill and enjoy life like people could in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah, that's because there was one extra day in 2012.
Nup. Didn't go fast enough for me!

Although now that I think about it, my nephew is 9 months old today. Feels like he was born just yesterday! :cry2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Yakob
I'm going to be 21 next year, I can't believe. I still remember being at my infant school: lying to my teacher that I went to the headmistress' office, picking up raisins of the floor to eat after somebody dropped them, trading Pokemon cards, pretending to be a dog in the school field, experiencing my first splinter etc...

Gone too fast.

Yeah! I'll be 18 in March and I keep reflecting back on my childhood. Just earlier today, I was reminiscing to my sister about about living in Indonesia and what I did as a 4 year old haha.

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
It's going faster because of rapidly advancing technology. Even my mum agrees that its going faster now that she's older than when she was younger.

If we both think the year is going by rapidly, it has to be because we have so much more clouding our minds and distracting us that we don't have time to really chill and enjoy life like people could in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's probably true! It seems like I never have time to take it slow and enjoy life. I think we''re all a bit too addicted to social media and such. It would be a good resolution to limit social media and do something else instead.

Original post by Mike_123
Yeah, that's because there was one extra day in 2012.

One day doesn't make a huge difference, does it? Yes, a lot can happen in a day. It just seems an extra week would make more difference. It's probably just me; everyday goes by fast
It's honestly crazy how fast it's gone! 2014 means new friends and new opportunities! It also means going back home to England, which I'm looking forward to a lot
People say this every year ...
Reply 11
yes it went so fast for me as well
Reply 12
It went syprisingly fast! Thank goodness. Am ready to leave that hell hole called High School:smile:)
No actually not any faster than the past 17 years.
It's a mathematical phenomenon:
If you have time on the x-axis of a graph, and it covers 5 years of time. There is a segment of that axis that covers one year, it appears to be 1/5th of the time.
As a five year old, this is abstractly the case - you have a 5 year long reference line. As a 10 year old, the reference line is 10 years long, leaving a single year as a smaller fragment of your subjective universal time. As a 50 year old, it becomes smaller still with respect to your memory of the time you've been alive. I imagine the effect is exacerbated as accessibility of memory decays, if not the memories themselves.

There's also an additional perceptual component:
We tend to ignore the 'familiar' as it's not 'new and interesting'. As we age, more and more becomes 'familiar'. If less happens that is 'important' less time seems to pass.
Reply 14
It went REALLY fast. And now comes the panic mode for 2014....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Maid Marian
People say this every year ...

+1 for being the first person to notice despite being, like, the 5th reply.
Reply 16
The years fly by as you get older.
Who cares, World Cup in June. 162 days to go.
I know people do say this every year, but in my opinion it's never been as noticeable personally as it is this year. I wasn't looking forward to 2013 for various reasons, and just thought that it would probably drag. Over the past week, I've found myself getting confused between this year and this time last year, because it genuinely feels close enough to be the same Christmas! I can remember one evening this time last year when I watched a particular film, and it's so scary to think that it's an entire year ago that it happened.

Perhaps if I spent less time wasting my time, I'd make more of my time. Yes.
Original post by CJKay
+1 for being the first person to notice despite being, like, the 5th reply.

:u:

Quick Reply

Latest