The Student Room Group

PS4 Vs Xbox One? Which one are you going for?

Scroll to see replies

No idea. It seems Sony are playing it safe by keeping the same names for their consoles. Xbox One sounds like "the one".

The Xbox sounds better in casual conversation eg.

Guy 1: So lads, what are you getting out of all the new consoles?
Guy 2: I'm a Playstation man, so PS4 for me
Guy 3: I'm getting the One
Guy 4: Same, I'm getting the One two

Something about having "the one" compared to PS4 is more appealing. It says I've got what you all need. The one. Maybe I'm just infatuated with the name.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
No idea. It seems Sony are playing it safe by keeping the same names for their consoles. Xbox One sounds like "the one".

The Xbox sounds better in casual conversation eg.

Guy 1: So lads, what are you getting out of all the new consoles?
Guy 2: I'm a Playstation man, so PS4 for me
Guy 3: I'm getting the One
Guy 4: Same, I'm getting the One two

Something about having "the one" compared to PS4 is more appealing. It says I've got what you all need. The one. Maybe I'm just infatuated with the name.

Xbox One is a terrible name. I can imagine a kid asking his parents for it for Christmas and them getting him an original Xbox.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr Smurf
Xbox One is a terrible name. I can imagine a kid asking his parents for it for Christmas and them getting him an original Xbox.

Well that's your opinion. It's more creative than anything Sony have been doing.
While saying Xbox One is not particularly appealing to the ears, referring to the console's nickname as "the one" makes it look like it's like the "ultimate console". I'm guessing it was a marketing ploy by Microsoft. They were selling the dream and I just happened to buy it
Well that's your opinion. It's more creative than anything Sony have been doing.
While saying Xbox One is not particularly appealing to the ears, referring to the console's nickname as "the one" makes it look like it's like the "ultimate console". I'm guessing it was a marketing ploy by Microsoft. They were selling the dream and I just happened to buy it

I've literally never heard anyone refer to it as 'the one' before you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
i too have the one!
Original post by heyimbored
I've literally never heard anyone refer to it as 'the one' before you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair do's - I thought that's how people would refer to it. Like some people would've called the Xbox 360 Xbox/the 360
Ah if that's not the case I'm sure it'll catch on haha
Fair do's - I thought that's how people would refer to it. Like some people would've called the Xbox 360 Xbox/the 360
Ah if that's not the case I'm sure it'll catch on haha

It might catch on after a while I suppose, I think 'the one' might be to vague though, 360 couldn't be anything else, but 'the one' could be anything really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyimbored
It might catch on after a while I suppose, I think 'the one' might be to vague though, 360 couldn't be anything else, but 'the one' could be anything really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the one could be anything, but if someone asks if you have a PS4 and you say you have "the one", people will catch on hopefully. Help me get this to be a worldwide trend :colondollar:
Reply 188
You'll know who won the war by what name the old generation uses for any console. I feel this gen they'll be calling their child's console a 'Playstation'.
Original post by The_Guv
You'll know who won the war by what name the old generation uses for any console. I feel this gen they'll be calling their child's console a 'Playstation'.

Because of the PS1 and PS2s almost monopolistic success they will always use "Playstation". The older teachers at my school were saying it back when the PS3 was £425, was selling a lot worse, had rubbish online and a barren wasteland of a games library.
Reply 190
Original post by Mr Smurf
Because of the PS1 and PS2s almost monopolistic success they will always use "Playstation". The older teachers at my school were saying it back when the PS3 was £425, was selling a lot worse, had rubbish online and a barren wasteland of a games library.

It doesn't happen immediately. I remember during the NES when consoles were called 'a Nintendo', then with the Mega Drive kids were 'playing on their Sega' (from what I know, in America they still used 'Nintendo' because the SNES was more successful there), then the PS1 changed it to 'a Playstation' or even 'a Sony' (including all possible pronunciations), that definitely changed with the Xbox 360. I more often hear how someone is erroneously 'playing on their Xbox' than Playstation, but given how historic and successful the PS1 and PS2 were and that the PS3 and PS4 are still around, it's understandable you will still here the odd adult say 'Playstation', but more likely they'll be using it correctly with knowledge of what's being played, than those using 'Xbox'.
Can someone who has both consoles balance out the pros and cons of each console please, rather than people who don't have both making premature judgements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by aahliahatake
Can someone who has both consoles balance out the pros and cons of each console please, rather than people who don't have both making premature judgements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think many people will have both at this stage.
Original post by Psyk
I don't think many people will have both at this stage.

Oh yeah ._. I don't even have one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
WoW, the emoticons are disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will hopefully buy the Xbox One in the summer

Reasons:

I've been on Xbox live for 9 years now and love the online service and have made many friends who are also going to be getting xbox one

The controller is better

I think kinect functionality could be useful not just for gaming but as a multimedia device

I prefer FPS and 3PS games to other genres and there aren't many good ones on PS4. Looking forward to Titanfall, Halo 5 and the next gears of war when it's announced.

Many of my friends who bought the PS4 said there aren't any good games currently other than battlefield and fifa which are multiplatform.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 196
Which have you got, or are you going to get. I'm still undecided...
Xbox One gets delivered on the 14th with Titanfall.

I'll probably get a PS4 down the line. Most likely after Naughty Dog release a couple of games.
Reply 198
I have a PS4, it's nothing special but I'm waiting for the proper next gen games
I've got a PS4, everyone i know who had a Xbox One have sold it to get a PS4

Quick Reply

Latest