The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm in year 11 and I'm deciding on my A levels. We have to choose an enrichment course and I'm wondering whether to do the EPQ. Is it good and beneficial? What have people thought about it? :smile:
Reply 4581
What exactly is EPQ? How does it work? What do you have to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by targetpainter
Hey, sorry if this has been discussed at some point, but I was just wondering at the kind of amount of sources the assessors are gonna be expecting (we're doing Edexcel) for an artefact.

I've taken info from about eight or nine so far, but I've heard people say you need to reference upwards of twenty, something I sincerely hope isn't true.

If anyone who's done the project or knows more about this than me could get back to me on this, it'd be really appreciated.
Cheers

I did ano artefact for the Edexcel EPQ and sorry but had maybe 30+ sources?
I mean doing something like a questionnaire to your tutor group to find out more about your subject is already 20 new sources if you mention all the results, literally a google search and websites and songs and tv shows or youtube videos are all sources, even if you dont use them but watched them theyre still a source which contributed to your overall outlook, just write in your sources log or whatever its called now this source told me ... But it held little relevance to my focused study on ...
Also the one thing my teacher harped on about all year long was that an amazing essay/piece doesnt get you an A*. You could end up with a crap final piece but have 1) a very well structured proposal 2) detailed project diary and 3) insightful evaluation and get top marks, because the split for marks on the actual project and the background work to it is 30% versus 70% (dont quote me on those numbers)

Hope thats help!
Original post by yasmin.mahfouz
I did ano artefact for the Edexcel EPQ and sorry but had maybe 30+ sources?
I mean doing something like a questionnaire to your tutor group to find out more about your subject is already 20 new sources if you mention all the results, literally a google search and websites and songs and tv shows or youtube videos are all sources, even if you dont use them but watched them theyre still a source which contributed to your overall outlook, just write in your sources log or whatever its called now this source told me ... But it held little relevance to my focused study on ...
Also the one thing my teacher harped on about all year long was that an amazing essay/piece doesnt get you an A*. You could end up with a crap final piece but have 1) a very well structured proposal 2) detailed project diary and 3) insightful evaluation and get top marks, because the split for marks on the actual project and the background work to it is 30% versus 70% (dont quote me on those numbers)

Hope thats help!

Ah, much obliged, thank you :-)
Original post by tsjmcgrath

That sounds interesting, although I haven't even covered Entrepreneurial Culture yet. I quickly looked it up, so my definition may not be totally right, but you may want to reference how Google used to have (or still has, it's all a little vague) a 20% time policy, in which employees could experiment with their own projects for 20% of their time - it helped to create GMail, Google News and AdSense (not Google Glass, as I initially thought, which came from Google X, I believe). Which exam board are you with for Economics?

We did a brief cover of it but i found it very interested and ended up doing my own research of it. and then i heard about the EPQ then i thought it would be ludicrous if i didn't do i on that. I guess you can say it also has a slight Business Studies relation to it aswell!! Oh wow, Thank you so much, I'm at research stage right now and i wanted to include examples of Businesses who successfully inforce the culture and the great benefits. it gives me a lot to talk about as i can also mention and relate it back to all the economic objectives. thanks again for that example!!

And i'm doing AQA AS Economics! :smile: :smile:
Original post by Shido
What exactly is EPQ? How does it work? What do you have to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See the first page of this thread, it should explain a lot of what you have to do. :smile:

Original post by jennifer.tariah
We did a brief cover of it but i found it very interested and ended up doing my own research of it. and then i heard about the EPQ then i thought it would be ludicrous if i didn't do i on that. I guess you can say it also has a slight Business Studies relation to it aswell!! Oh wow, Thank you so much, I'm at research stage right now and i wanted to include examples of Businesses who successfully inforce the culture and the great benefits. it gives me a lot to talk about as i can also mention and relate it back to all the economic objectives. thanks again for that example!!

And i'm doing AQA AS Economics! :smile: :smile:

Oh I see, yeah, I might have to do some research on it too! Is this part of micro- or macroeconomics? :smile: Yeah, but then there are lot of similarities between Business and Economics, certainly in microeconomics. In fact my Economics teacher is officially a Business Studies teacher - our Economics department only has one teacher officially who we'll get for A2. No problem! I know of another business who encourages it, or what I gather from it, which is Vox Media. They're primarily a journalism business, but they hold a "hackathon" every now and again called 'VAX' from which some of the products developed may end up being used to help run the business as a whole. (See: VAX 1, VAX 2)

Ah, same! :smile:
Original post by tsjmcgrath
See the first page of this thread, it should explain a lot of what you have to do. :smile:

Oh I see, yeah, I might have to do some research on it too! Is this part of micro- or macroeconomics? :smile: Yeah, but then there are lot of similarities between Business and Economics, certainly in microeconomics. In fact my Economics teacher is officially a Business Studies teacher - our Economics department only has one teacher officially who we'll get for A2. No problem! I know of another business who encourages it, or what I gather from it, which is Vox Media. They're primarily a journalism business, but they hold a "hackathon" every now and again called 'VAX' from which some of the products developed may end up being used to help run the business as a whole. (See: VAX 1, VAX 2)

Ah, same! :smile:

To be honest I'd say its more Macro because i'm not specific about enforcing the culture in only one market, but all markets because when only one market is booming, it may not have such a beneficial effect on the national economy. oh thank you again!!
what is yours about?
Original post by jennifer.tariah
To be honest I'd say its more Macro because i'm not specific about enforcing the culture in only one market, but all markets because when only one market is booming, it may not have such a beneficial effect on the national economy. oh thank you again!!
what is yours about?

Yeah, I guess it could be macro. It depends, it might even fit into both really. :P No problem. :smile: I haven't made my mind up yet!
Original post by Paramore<3
Is anyone heading for the January 2014 deadline to submit their project? :smile:

I am!
I am really worried :frown:
Hi,

My deadline is January

I am nearly finished my second draft but my college won't look at drafts apparently they arent allowed too.
I'm really worried that I'm doing the wrong thing and that its just not good. I saw two examples of EPQ An A* and an E and I really couldn't tell the difference between them. What makes it successful?
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is doing a design brief (for an artefact), or a Fashion design related EPQ?

:smile:
Reply 4591
hi guys i want to do my epq on a medically related topic and have chosen stem cell theory. has anyone done a similar topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gaby_xo
Hi,

My deadline is January

I am nearly finished my second draft but my college won't look at drafts apparently they arent allowed too.
I'm really worried that I'm doing the wrong thing and that its just not good. I saw two examples of EPQ An A* and an E and I really couldn't tell the difference between them. What makes it successful?

Your very detailed log book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerd44
hi guys i want to do my epq on a medically related topic and have chosen stem cell theory. has anyone done a similar topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing a medically related topic too, probably something related to neurology but I don't know where to start :frown: Any advice?
Original post by Obliviate
Your very detailed log book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the log book the Proposal A? B ect type documents.
We don't have access to it as such, we just got given one document at a time and got told to fill it out.
I have been keeping a timetable and records of what I have done for the past year..

Does the essay not matter as much as the 'log book' then?
Original post by gaby_xo
Is the log book the Proposal A? B ect type documents.
We don't have access to it as such, we just got given one document at a time and got told to fill it out.
I have been keeping a timetable and records of what I have done for the past year..

Does the essay not matter as much as the 'log book' then?

Yeah, your log book is actually worth more than your final thing. They look for how you improved your work through it, learned from your mistakes, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
guys - I'm looking to do an epq on the psychology of post traumatic stress disorders - anyone got any suitable question ideas i could use?
Reply 4597
Hi, my EPQ is Cold-War related, but I was wondering if I could actually do it
I've previously studied the cold war at gcse so not in a great amount of detail
Would it be ok to do it still because I'd still have to do a lot of research and don't remember most of it?
I need help guys...
I've missed a lot of college (been very ill) and haven't done much of my epq at all. I think I'm going to have to submit it this year (I'm in A2) and so was wondering what the main things are to focus on, I know I don't have much time and I've barely started...:cry2:
Reply 4599
Original post by Biryani007
I need help guys...
I've missed a lot of college (been very ill) and haven't done much of my epq at all. I think I'm going to have to submit it this year (I'm in A2) and so was wondering what the main things are to focus on, I know I don't have much time and I've barely started...:cry2:

What pieces have you done so far?

Original post by Saraah17
Hi, my EPQ is Cold-War related, but I was wondering if I could actually do it
I've previously studied the cold war at gcse so not in a great amount of detail
Would it be ok to do it still because I'd still have to do a lot of research and don't remember most of it?

Thats perfectly fine.

Quick Reply

Latest