The Student Room Group

need some advice on applying for medical school

hi there, I have been looking into applying for medical school but I have a few reservations about doing so. Firstly I have a 5 year old daughter, so my priorities are slightly different to most students, secondly I am a mature student and am worried about the competition from younger students and last I still need to sit my Highers. If there is anyone that has been in any of these situations and have managed to through medical school any advice and help would be highly appreciated. thanks Sarah:smile:
Original post by sarahk89
hi there, I have been looking into applying for medical school but I have a few reservations about doing so. Firstly I have a 5 year old daughter, so my priorities are slightly different to most students, secondly I am a mature student and am worried about the competition from younger students and last I still need to sit my Highers. If there is anyone that has been in any of these situations and have managed to through medical school any advice and help would be highly appreciated. thanks Sarah:smile:

I can't help with some of the issues personally but I know people in my year who are both mature and with kids :smile: So it can be done!

The competition for places is FIERCE! But if you really want it don't let it put you off!

Would you do your highers in 1 year?

As a mature student you will need to have an excellent personal statement - work experience, volunteering, leadership, teamwork, public speaking, outstanding achievements.....

If you have any other questions just let me know :smile:
Reply 2
hi, thanks for reply,

I will be doing my Highers over 2 years as I will need to do int2 first in the science subjects. does this make a big difference for mature students not having passed all your Highers in 1 sitting??
I am going to be giving up my current job to get experience in care work, what kind of achievements would they be looking at? thanks again :smile:
hi, thanks for reply,

I will be doing my Highers over 2 years as I will need to do int2 first in the science subjects. does this make a big difference for mature students not having passed all your Highers in 1 sitting??
I am going to be giving up my current job to get experience in care work, what kind of achievements would they be looking at? thanks again :smile:

Publications, research, national/international prizes, evidence of pro-active approach.....

As a mature student they will expect you to have a more extensive CV than a school leaver as you have had more time!

Any other questions?
Reply 4
hi, thanks for reply,

Doing them over 2 years is fine. In terms of achievements the main things are to have done work experience in a medical setting (i.e. a hospital, GP practice etc.) and also voluntary work (ideally in a care setting, e.g. a hospital volunteer). Then you need to be able to reflect upon them when you come to write your personal statement, i.e. explain what you've learnt about being a doctor from you work experience; what the job entails, what skills one requires and all that stuff).

EDIT: Are you a graduate or undergrad?
Reply 5
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Publications, research, national/international prizes, evidence of pro-active approach.....

As a mature student they will expect you to have a more extensive CV than a school leaver as you have had more time!

Any other questions?

I don't think OP is a graduate so publications and research will be difficult to achieve.
Original post by modini
I don't think OP is a graduate so publications and research will be difficult to achieve.

You can still get involved prior to university - she has 2 years whilst doing her highers :smile:
Original post by modini
Doing them over 2 years is fine. In terms of achievements the main things are to have done work experience in a medical setting (i.e. a hospital, GP practice etc.) and also voluntary work (ideally in a care setting, e.g. a hospital volunteer). Then you need to be able to reflect upon them when you come to write your personal statement, i.e. explain what you've learnt about being a doctor from you work experience; what the job entails, what skills one requires and all that stuff).

Work experience is pretty much essential for a successful application.

Ideally you should aim for a range of clinical environments for example GP, hospital, allied healthcare professional like pharmacy.

Yes - very important to reflect during the personal statement and how it has lead you to conclude that medicine is for you :smile:
Reply 8
Work experience is pretty much essential for a successful application.

Ideally you should aim for a range of clinical environments for example GP, hospital, allied healthcare professional like pharmacy.

Yes - very important to reflect during the personal statement and how it has lead you to conclude that medicine is for you :smile:

Yeah I suppose so.
Original post by modini

I'm a undergraduate - final year UCL medic - due to graduate in July 2014!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!
Reply 10
Original post by modini

Thanks for advice.
I haven't studied anything over svq3, I am currently a self employed hairdresser so this will be a massive career change, I will definitely go and do some work experience/volunteer work. but with my age will I be able to do work experience as that is something high school children do through school?
Thanks for advice.
I haven't studied anything over svq3, I am currently a self employed hairdresser so this will be a massive career change, I will definitely go and do some work experience/volunteer work. but with my age will I be able to do work experience as that is something high school children do through school?

In many ways your age will be an advantage.

I was turned down at 17 as I wasn't an adult :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 12
Thanks for advice.

Yeah you shouldn't have any trouble getting work experience just because you're a bit older. You will have to be quite proactive when getting work experience though as not all places allow it.
Reply 13
I'm a undergraduate - final year UCL medic - due to graduate in July 2014!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!

:eek: Good luck for finals!
Reply 14
Original post by modini
Yeah you shouldn't have any trouble getting work experience just because you're a bit older. You will have to be quite proactive when getting work experience though as not all places allow it.

Thanks so much for all the advice, glad I came across this website, I am hoping being older and a parent will go in my favour, as I have lots of life experiences, but its the academic side that I have to work on :smile:
Original post by modini
:eek: Good luck for finals!

Thanks and sorry for misquoting earlier - I misread your post thinking it was form the OP!
Reply 16
Thanks and sorry for misquoting earlier - I misread your post thinking it was form the OP!

Hehe no probs.
Reply 17
Thanks so much for all the advice, glad I came across this website, I am hoping being older and a parent will go in my favour, as I have lots of life experiences, but its the academic side that I have to work on :smile:

No problem. There's a lot of info on TSR about applying to med. Useful link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

I've pm'd you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending