The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looking at the Swansea/Citeh game, City weren't really impressive. Swansea was poor defensively all round which allowed the former to win; in fact Swansea could have even won themselves. Not sure if they'll be able to keep this up -- if they are to win the title then they need to perform better tbh but maybe not.

The transfer window is sort of make or break for us and the gooners. We won't win the league with our strikeforce nor will Arsenal -- I'm not sure if we'll win the league with our midfield either.

Also, wonder what we'll have to do with Thorgan Hazard and Piazon. I think at this point the best would be for Piazon --> Everton, and Thorgan --> Vitesse. I think Everton would suit the former more the way the play. Hopefully he will be able to develop as a CF of some sort though rather than just a winger.

Another thing: Chalobah's loan expires soon; I don't really see the harm in giving some game time here tbh. If Essien is off and Mikel keeps up his frustrating performances it may not be such a bad idea.
Reply 9681
Original post by The Assassin
Looking at the Swansea/Citeh game, City weren't really impressive. Swansea was poor defensively all round which allowed the former to win; in fact Swansea could have even won themselves. Not sure if they'll be able to keep this up -- if they are to win the title then they need to perform better tbh but maybe not.

The transfer window is sort of make or break for us and the gooners. We won't win the league with our strikeforce nor will Arsenal -- I'm not sure if we'll win the league with our midfield either.

Also, wonder what we'll have to do with Thorgan Hazard and Piazon. I think at this point the best would be for Piazon --> Everton, and Thorgan --> Vitesse. I think Everton would suit the former more the way the play. Hopefully he will be able to develop as a CF of some sort though rather than just a winger.

Another thing: Chalobah's loan expires soon; I don't really see the harm in giving some game time here tbh. If Essien is off and Mikel keeps up his frustrating performances it may not be such a bad idea.

Well, we'll have to wait until the end of the window. I would like Chalobah to go to a prem club first, he's had a mixed spell at Nottingham forest, so I don't see the point of putting him into our team when he hasn't shown he's good enough this season.

I wonder what Mourinho's plan for the future is, he's said what he wants to do. But it's almost the antithesis of his philosophy what he's talking about, possession football, using the youngsters. Only at inter has he shown that he'll use the youngsters. But he's got most things this season spot on. Results are more important than the performance anyway.
I don't know about that. I thought in general he's been fine. He did amazing with Watford last year and looked kind of demotivated to go to Forest at the start too.

Barkley didn't look great for Leeds either but he's been doing pretty well with Everton this season.

Even if there performances aren't great Chalobah would get the best experience if he was playing with the first team. I wouldn't mind taking risks to do that tbh and using them like United/Arsenal often did.

Someone said something similar but if Guarin came in here for example, he would be rotated a bit and would get more playing time than Chalobah would, yes, because he's better and more experienced. However, I would rather Chalobah got 25% of the game time that the former would get so he can develop at the highest level. If we then bring in a player in the summer (when there will be far more options) then Chalobah is still easily young enough to go out on loan again (if need be because he shows he isn't ready).

Nothing against Guarin but it is tedious sending so many players out on loan instead of being braver and playing them a little more regularly. Would Guarin really be a long-term fix too? No one who's really world class that we would be able to get this window anyways.
Reply 9683
Good points tbh. If Chalobah comes in and is a revelation, we've now got a player for the future who can play for a good 10-15 years for us. Would be very sentimental to see a home grown player like him. But I guess Chelsea's philosophy is against continuity, I like how Mourinho said he's staying for a long time though.

Statements like that to the media shows intent and the way he said he wants to get english players into the team. It sounds like he'll just go and get Barkley and Shaw tbh, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to Mourinho's statements, but if he walks his talk. I will be very impressed.
I honestly wish you lot gave youth a chance in your own team, rather than letting other managers develop them? How else are you going to make the next Terry/Lampard character at this club without giving youth a chance. You have a very good academy, and its seriously worrying that your Ramsey/Wilshere/Barkley equivalents are kicking the ball in Holland or the Championship rather than getting PL experience.
Yes, true, and with Terry/Lampard we were seeing their quality playing in week in week out prior to Abramovich (know Lamps isn't a youth product but he wasn't anything too special when he joined us). Don't think we would've seen them become the players they were had they not been playing regularly.

Of course, for every Terry there's also a Carlton Cole in terms of the quality but we will never find out if they truly become good unless we play them in the first team.

^^Hopefully not. Maybe one of them if we really need to but I don't want to buy both of them! Let's see what Mourinho does. Agree on everything.
Juan Mata is leaving this window judging from his reaction after being subbed. Another bad game for him and he will leave.
Reply 9687
Original post by cleveradam
Juan Mata is leaving this window judging from his reaction after being subbed. Another bad game for him and he will leave.

While he may feel like he wants to leave, it's down to the club, if a team doesn't pay up, why should we sell him and weaken our squad? For that reason, I don't see him leaving.
mourinho's a prick man.

he ruined Kaka, and now he's trying to do it to Mata too.

what is with him and players with four letters in their names, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter. I wonder Jose.

narcissistic prick man. no one care about your four letter name, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter Jose.

He is such a beast, the best thing is that he can do so much with the ball too
Original post by ipoop
I hate arsenal :grumble: Walcott scored :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least Spurs beat ManU. This means I can buy some popcorn to accompany reading the ManU thread seeing all the glory hunters moaning and decorate 4th place as a trophy.
Original post by mrmicrosoft
mourinho's a prick man.

what is with him and players with four letters in their names, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter. I wonder Jose.

narcissistic prick man. no one care about your four letter name, with a vowel being the second and fourth letter Jose.

Lets hope you don't get Koke...
""No funds for José Mourinho as Chelsea loss nears £50m" - Matt Hughes.

Chelsea have abandoned their long-standing target of breaking even after recording a loss of £49.4 million for the year ending June 2013.

The club will focus instead on restricting annual losses to comply with Uefas Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations, something they expect to manage despite a dramatic change in their financial fortunes; they posted a £1.4 million profit the previous year.

It means that José Mourinho will not be given any significant transfer funds during the January window and may even have to sell players before he can buy next summer.

Peter Kenyon, the former chief executive, set Chelsea a five-year target to stem the clubs losses when he was appointed in 2004, a target that they belatedly achieved 12 months ago, but the club has since prioritised complying with FFP while remaining competitive on the field.

Under FFP, clubs losing more than €45 million (£37.4 million) over a two-year accounting period from 2011 to 2013 will face sanctions from Uefa, with punishments ranging from a fine or points deductions to suspension from European competition.

Yet despite losing more than that in a single year, Chelsea are confident of compliance as investment in stadiums, other infrastructure, youth development and charitable foundations are exempted by European footballs governing body.

The impact of FFP will become more significant in future years, however, with the level of acceptable losses falling to €45million (£37.4million) over a three-year period from 2013 and then €30million over the next three years. During this period Chelsea will budget for losses just inside Uefas limit rather than strive for profitability.

Chelseas latest accounts reveal the extent of the clubs reliance on Roman Abramovich, as Uefa will permit any losses only if they are covered by an owner rather than loans, and the financial restrictions that Mourinho must operate under as he attempts to take more trophies to Stamford Bridge.

Chelseas need for a top-class striker is obvious, but financing new signings could be contingent on offloading one or more of the squads biggest assets, such as Juan Mata or David Luiz, neither of whom has played regularly under Mourinho this season.

The need for economy as Chelsea look to control their wage costs will also influence forthcoming contract talks with John Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole, who have yet to be offered new deals despite being free agents at the end of the season and Mourinhos insistence that he wants them to stay.

Chelseas seemingly altered financial position over the past 12 months is easily explained by the absence of two exceptional factors that combined to produce the first profit of the Abramovich era.

The club made £18million last year from the cancellation of BSkyB shares in their digital media operation and, most significantly, earned £47.3million from winning the Champions League in May 2012, which led to a shortfall of approximately £30million the next year after Chelsea failed to qualify for the knockout stage of the competition only six months later.

The combined £58million cost of signing Oscar and Eden Hazard last year is also reflected in the present results.

There is positive news for the club elsewhere in their accounts, however, with turnover up to a record £255.8 million as a result of a 19 per cent growth in the clubs commercial income after new sponsorship deals with Audi, Delta Air Lines and Azimut Hotels.

Chelsea also signed a ten-year sponsorship deal with adidas worth £300million last June that will be recorded in their 2013-14 accounts.

Bruce Buck, the chairman, emphasised Chelseas commitment to FFP, although the club do have concerns about whether the regulations will be implemented with sufficient rigour by Uefa.

Manchester City recorded losses of £97.9 million in their most recent accounts to December 2012 despite winning their first Barclays Premier League title that season, and, as they have continued to invest heavily on new players, are likely to require exemptions from Uefa to meet the £37.4 million loss limit.

Arsenal and Manchester United are both profitable and so will not be troubled by FFP.

"From the very beginning of the current ownership of Chelsea Football Club, a long-term objective was financial sustainability, and the subsequent implementation of Financial Fair Play by Uefa and by the Premier League has brought that to the top of the agenda for football clubs," Buck said.

"We are pleased therefore that we will meet the stipulations set down by Uefa in their first assessment period, and by our own analysis we are progressing from a commercial viewpoint as well as continuing to add trophies to our collection, which we never lose sight of as our most important goal."

Chelsea's rich tapestry

Peter Kenyon, the incoming chief executive, set Chelsea a five-year plan for breaking even when he arrived at the club in 2004, but the club have been unable to wean themselves off Roman Abramovichs largesse.

The Russian owners huge spending spree led to Chelsea making a loss of £88million for the period covering his first season at the club in 2003-04, which increased further to £140million, then a record, the year after.

Chelseas turnover has increased dramatically from £75million to £255.8 million as they have become a leading global player in ten years under Abramovich, but owing to the owners penchant for paying off managers at huge cost as well as investing heavily in new players, they have struggled to break even.

The club did make a £1.4million profit after last years Champions League triumph, but will now focus on complying with Financial Fair Play."
Original post by little_tom
I honestly wish you lot gave youth a chance in your own team, rather than letting other managers develop them? How else are you going to make the next Terry/Lampard character at this club without giving youth a chance. You have a very good academy, and its seriously worrying that your Ramsey/Wilshere/Barkley equivalents are kicking the ball in Holland or the Championship rather than getting PL experience.

You know what would happen though. Journalists will moan that we're abusing the loan system because we're 'stockpiling' on kids. At least they're getting game time. Not sure how many minutes of Premier League action Zaha has had at Man Utd, but I actually forgot he played for them because I've never seen him play on highlights etc. unless he's had an injury or something.
mourinho's a prick man.

He didn't ruin Kaka. Kaka got injured after the World Cup and lost his pace. Mourinho playyd him when he was fit, but it got to the point where Real Madrid had got used to playing without Kaka that it was unfair to drop Ozil just because Kaka became fit again. Simple.
Real Madrid did fine without Kaka since they had Ronaldo and a whole host of other players. Ronaldo is one of those players that you can't drop even if he doesn't track back. He has loads of energy and he wins a team so many games on his own.

There are some players that if they're fit, they go straight back into the team. Ronaldo and Messi have earned that privilege. You could say other players like Iniesta, Ribery and Bale have the same privilege to some extent.

Mata, as good as he is, isn't in the same category. He may have been our best player in the last 2 years, but Mourinho has found a way for Chelsea to function without him. I feel bad for Mata as he's done nothing to deserve his fate atm, but Mourinho seems to know what he's doing. Chances are he'll go in the summer for 30-35 million. We have players like Piazon and Thorgan who are 5/6 years younger that'll be happy playing as much as Mata has and have even more scope for improvement.

I'm not 100% happy with what's going on but if he knows what he's doing and things are working out fine, who are we to question him?
Original post by 9MmBulletz
He didn't ruin Kaka. Kaka got injured after the World Cup and lost his pace. Mourinho playyd him when he was fit, but it got to the point where Real Madrid had got used to playing without Kaka that it was unfair to drop Ozil just because Kaka became fit again. Simple.
Real Madrid did fine without Kaka since they had Ronaldo and a whole host of other players. Ronaldo is one of those players that you can't drop even if he doesn't track back. He has loads of energy and he wins a team so many games on his own.

There are some players that if they're fit, they go straight back into the team. Ronaldo and Messi have earned that privilege. You could say other players like Iniesta, Ribery and Bale have the same privilege to some extent.

Mata, as good as he is, isn't in the same category. He may have been our best player in the last 2 years, but Mourinho has found a way for Chelsea to function without him. I feel bad for Mata as he's done nothing to deserve his fate atm, but Mourinho seems to know what he's doing. Chances are he'll go in the summer for 30-35 million. We have players like Piazon and Thorgan who are 5/6 years younger that'll be happy playing as much as Mata has and have even more scope for improvement.

I'm not 100% happy with what's going on but if he knows what he's doing and things are working out fine, who are we to question him?

Nah you're looking too much into it. With someone like Mourinho it simply comes down to the four letter names, and the vowel placements.

Note how he had a preference of Ozil because the vowels in his name were the first and third letters, not second and fourth like Jose...
Nah you're looking too much into it. With someone like Mourinho it simply comes down to the four letter names, and the vowel placements.

Note how he had a preference of Ozil because the vowels in his name were the first and third letters, not second and fourth like Jose...

Hazard
Ronaldo
Di Maria
Makelele

I'm not going to argue with you because you clearly are trying to wind people up
Reply 9698
To be fair, he was an obvious troll and I'm sure he's trolled this thread before with this username.

I have a feeling he's a reincarnation of another user too.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
To be fair, he was an obvious troll and I'm sure he's trolled this thread before with this username.

I have a feeling he's a reincarnation of another user too.

Nah I saw how vexed Mata was Mou subbed him, and I was just like what you doing man, this guy carried Chelsea for years, give him an effin chance!!

Players like Mata and Luiz were in top-top form last season (that long shot against Fulham though:coma:), and it' just sad to see them regress so much from last year.

Remember the rumours in summer of Luiz to Barca, and Mata out, and all of you guys were like 'what? That'll never happen! He'd be crazy to do that!'. Doesn't look that too unlikely now tbh.

And re: Luiz I was really hoping now that Chelsea has a long term manager who can really put some time into the team, he would be converted into a CDM, and starting there regularly, as he can be a joy to watch and has that troll factor too

(edited 10 years ago)

Latest