The Student Room Group

Birmingham Nightlife

Hey,

I'm just interested in finding out what people think of Birmingham's nightlife. What are the best clubs or pubs? What's the gay village like? What sort of prices are drinks at? Etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
XLS and Jesters are good gay bars, the whole village is good but can be expensive, broad street has student nights, mainly thursday where it is dirt cheap¬
Birmingham nightlife is brilliant, never been to the gay village but in terms of other clubs Gatecrasher and Risa on Broad Street are my favourites. Tickets are between £3-£6 for most nights and drinks aren't pricy at all, especially on Thursdays as that's student night. Whatever you're into, there's always plenty to do and if you do come to Birmingham I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!
I have no idea but I'm a Birmingham university applicant myself, so interested to see the responses :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Can confirm the nightlife is excellent on any night of the week. I think the main gaybar is called Nightingales, I've been once and it was fun :smile:
Reply 5
Anyone who goes to The University of Birmingham how cheap is it getting to the clubs? As the campus to my knowledge is sort of on the edge of Birmingham/not in the centre.
Reply 6
Completely forgot I made this thread :P

Original post by x-Sophie-x
I have no idea but I'm a Birmingham university applicant myself, so interested to see the responses :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Aston uni, which I think is relatively near UOB not sure. But if you go out in a big group it's like £1.50. I know it's like 15 mins to walk from gay village back to Aston so that's not bad.

I only know the gay village. Nightingale is a massive club, with 3 floors. They have events like x-factor singers, big gay night out with people coming in from other cities and lots of other events. Sidewalk is a major gay bar.

If you go out on Thursday to gay village, and probs anywhere else, expect drinks to be cheap and the places to be packed as it's student night :P

If you want anymore info just pm me :smile:
Original post by DashingHero

I'm at Aston uni, which I think is relatively near UOB not sure. But if you go out in a big group it's like £1.50. I know it's like 15 mins to walk from gay village back to Aston so that's not bad.

I only know the gay village. Nightingale is a massive club, with 3 floors. They have events like x-factor singers, big gay night out with people coming in from other cities and lots of other events. Sidewalk is a major gay bar.

If you go out on Thursday to gay village, and probs anywhere else, expect drinks to be cheap and the places to be packed as it's student night :P

Oh cool, sounds awesome.
But why so much emphasis on this gay village? o.O
Reply 8
Oh cool, sounds awesome.
But why so much emphasis on this gay village? o.O

Erm... my sexuality :P I prefer guys
Erm... my sexuality :P I prefer guys

Oh right, well since I'm a girl, I don't think I'll be heading that way :tongue:
Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 10
Oh right, well since I'm a girl, I don't think I'll be heading that way :tongue:
Thanks anyway :smile:

Er just to point out gender doesn't affect one's sexuality i.e. a girl can be gay :P

Sure :smile:
Er just to point out gender doesn't affect one's sexuality i.e. a girl can be gay :P

Sure :smile:

Woops, you're right, my bad :redface:
Original post by corax
Anyone who goes to The University of Birmingham how cheap is it getting to the clubs? As the campus to my knowledge is sort of on the edge of Birmingham/not in the centre.

Dead cheap providing you generally go during the week (I've heard gatecrasher on a saturday costs like £10 but we generally go to the night at the guild called fab on a saturday :smile:)
I did a massive explanation about nightlife on my blog if you wanna look:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438693&page=2 (post under xmas title)
But if not generally really cheap, taxis are £1.50-2 each (for around 4-10 people) one way so £3-£5 for an evening which is really good, if you were feeling brave and sober enough to not stumble you could even walk there from the vale in say 25 mins.
Drinks are dirt cheap on certain nights, mondays gatecrasher £1 j-bombs and shots, £1.80 doubles etc and as said above thursdays vodbull means j-bombs and vodka and red bull is under £1.50. Stupid tuesdays at players is also cheap for drinks at around £1-£1.50 for a drink. So not an expensive night out! But top tip, pre drink if you want to make it even cheaper and I find it makes it more fun :smile: Hope this helped
Reply 13
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Dead cheap providing you generally go during the week (I've heard gatecrasher on a saturday costs like £10 but we generally go to the night at the guild called fab on a saturday :smile:)
I did a massive explanation about nightlife on my blog if you wanna look:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438693&page=2 (post under xmas title)
But if not generally really cheap, taxis are £1.50-2 each (for around 4-10 people) one way so £3-£5 for an evening which is really good, if you were feeling brave and sober enough to not stumble you could even walk there from the vale in say 25 mins.
Drinks are dirt cheap on certain nights, mondays gatecrasher £1 j-bombs and shots, £1.80 doubles etc and as said above thursdays vodbull means j-bombs and vodka and red bull is under £1.50. Stupid tuesdays at players is also cheap for drinks at around £1-£1.50 for a drink. So not an expensive night out! But top tip, pre drink if you want to make it even cheaper and I find it makes it more fun :smile: Hope this helped

Ooh thank you, that's a big help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
Ooh thank you, that's a big help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have any other Q's about Bham/uni etc feel free to ask as am currently procrastinating from doing work haha. Hope your looking forward to coming to bham! :smile:
Reply 15

Aston is pretty much in the city centre and is the nearest. UoB is a bit further out in Edgbaston, but has Selly Oak nearby for people who just want to go pubbing, or there's Harborne the other side for students there, which, whilst pubs again, is a pretty decent night out. BCU are a bit stuck because they're up in Perry Barr (man campus) so it's a bit harder for people to get to town from there though taxis often do specials for students.

Almost forgot, UCB are in the city centre too, so it's not too bad for them to get out.

There's loads going on in Brum if you look, there's Broad street for your typical night out, the Arcadian, the gay quarter, the Custard Factory, some massive clubs too if you're into that sort of stuff.
Reply 16
Original post by quinnf1
XLS and Jesters are good gay bars, the whole village is good

Based on many personal experiences, i'd say Jesters, XLS and The Village are the worst places to go.

Jesters is a smelly little underground den where people go when everywhere else is closed.

The Best places to go are Sidewalk, Nightingale and Loft Lounge by far.
Brum nightlife is great. You'll never be stuck for nights out. Thursday is the students night as has been said previously. Weekend's tend to be a bit more expensive, but not that much more.

Nightingale in the gay village does Pounded every Thursday which is dead cheap.

For all you possible Astoners there's a Pounded night at the SU on a regular basis as well as Quids at the Gosta Green pub, which is right next to campus, on Monday and Saturday nights.

There's at least one bar crawl a month aimed at all Brum students called Carnage as well as many many more.

Hope this is helpful & good luck to you all with your applications :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Birmingham night life is f****** sick everything about it is good, especially indi bar on a Thursday then followed by luxx bar on a Saturday if you want to wine up your
body then that's the place to go to secure a good wine and get drunk of your face.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
hi im think about going to birmingham city uni, is it any good I also want to know if it is a diverse uni, is there many black people there. I went to an open day and I did not see many (not to sound racist) just dont want to be the only one lol !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending