The Student Room Group

DSA for anxiety & panic disorder?

So basically I will be applying to Student Finance soon and my tutor said that I should look into DSA as there might some funding available if eligible. It would be great to get extra money as i will get the maximum bursary and maintainance loan.

Currently I am working with my psychologist and doing CBT to help reduce my anxiety so that it does not affect me. But am so unsurehow I should apply for the DSA as I don't need like a Dictaphone or whatever. I do however get exam arrangement.

I have how read that it can also count towards the cost of halls? I mean the uni I wanna go to the quieter halls with ensuite are more expensive and I very very very very very OCD about like hygiene and stuff...

Anyone else have some advice or whatever if they have been in the same experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lala121
So basically I will be applying to Student Finance soon and my tutor said that I should look into DSA as there might some funding available if eligible. It would be great to get extra money as i will get the maximum bursary and maintainance loan.

Currently I am working with my psychologist and doing CBT to help reduce my anxiety so that it does not affect me. But am so unsurehow I should apply for the DSA as I don't need like a Dictaphone or whatever. I do however get exam arrangement.

I have how read that it can also count towards the cost of halls? I mean the uni I wanna go to the quieter halls with ensuite are more expensive and I very very very very very OCD about like hygiene and stuff...

Anyone else have some advice or whatever if they have been in the same experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth emailing SFE about it, because I know that they do give money for mental health disorders but that's a very broad term isn't it?

I'm also suffering with bad anxiety and some mental health issues of my own and I'd also like to know.

You're not alone:h:
Reply 2
Original post by laurenatlantic
It's worth emailing SFE about it, because I know that they do give money for mental health disorders but that's a very broad term isn't it?

I'm also suffering with bad anxiety and some mental health issues of my own and I'd also like to know.

You're not alone:h:

You mean the worlds broadest term ever!! Its really annoying sometimes. But I check this mental health evidence sheet and it included anxiety, depression, concentration etc. I will keep you informed if I find something out :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
DSA don't give you moeny. They usually pay for equipment and make exam recommendations.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
DSA don't give you moeny. They usually pay for equipment and make exam recommendations.

Oh really. Well thats really confusing well I will see what I get (if apply) Thanks xx
Reply 5
Original post by lala121
Oh really. Well thats really confusing well I will see what I get (if apply) Thanks xx

If they give an allowance for something, (such as printer ink) you can claim that back. But it's not like student finance where you'd actually be given money in the first place.
Original post by OU Student
If they give an allowance for something, (such as printer ink) you can claim that back. But it's not like student finance where you'd actually be given money in the first place.

Yes this is true.

I'm dyslexic and get DSA - but never see the money.

I have to keep receipts and then submit them at the end of the academic year up to a certain amount.
Reply 7
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Yes this is true.

I'm dyslexic and get DSA - but never see the money.

I have to keep receipts and then submit them at the end of the academic year up to a certain amount.

Oh okay I get it now! If you dont min me asking do you know what I might get? If you know? If you dont thats fine boo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
Oh okay I get it now! If you dont min me asking do you know what I might get? If you know? If you dont thats fine boo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry no idea!

I'm dyslexic so it's a different type of disability where I get book allowance and extra teaching sessions.

I don;t know what you would be able to claim - but there is no harm asking!
Reply 9
Moving this to Disabled Students forum - I'm sure someone there may have an idea of what you may get.
Reply 10
It's possible to be have the difference between an ensuite and standard room covered by Disabled Students Allowance, as far as I'm aware. But I stress it's only a possibility. You will need to apply and discuss this in your Needs Assessment. Your DSA Assessor will then decide whether such a recommendation is justifiable and your funding body will need to agree to it.

There's a wide variety of things DSA can provide for, though, not just a dictaphone or laptop. The non-medical helper allowance can provide for a mentor/support worker for example. This can be someone who you meet regularly to discuss and organise your workload and help you to reduce anxiety.

It's probably worth at least applying and attending the Needs Assessment. You might be surprised and what . Also, if you have little to no experience of university, you might not even know some of areas you will need support in. The DSA Assessor could therefore suggest things he or she feels is suitable.

Original post by laurenatlantic

They don't "give money". Disabled Students Allowance is provided and it meats additional study costs that result due to disability. The student invariably doesn't see the money, only the equipment or support that is provided (though certain costs may be re-imbursed such as a set amount for books or travel, depending on need).

It's given to anyone with a disability or medical condition Yes mental heath disorder is a broad term, but that doesn't mean that support is limited to just a few conditions. Providing someone has a diagnosed condition they are eligible to claim.

How much support they receive will be determined during a Needs Assessment, and ultimately depends on how their condition(s) affect them and what their course involves.
Reply 11
Original post by River85
It's possible to be have the difference between an ensuite and standard room covered by Disabled Students Allowance, as far as I'm aware. But I stress it's only a possibility. You will need to apply and discuss this in your Needs Assessment. Your DSA Assessor will then decide whether such a recommendation is justifiable and your funding body will need to agree to it.

There's a wide variety of things DSA can provide for, though, not just a dictaphone or laptop. The non-medical helper allowance can provide for a mentor/support worker for example. This can be someone who you meet regularly to discuss and organise your workload and help you to reduce anxiety.

It's probably worth at least applying and attending the Needs Assessment. You might be surprised and what . Also, if you have little to no experience of university, you might not even know some of areas you will need support in. The DSA Assessor could therefore suggest things he or she feels is suitable.

They don't "give money". Disabled Students Allowance is provided and it meats additional study costs that result due to disability. The student invariably doesn't see the money, only the equipment or support that is provided (though certain costs may be re-imbursed such as a set amount for books or travel, depending on need).

It's given to anyone with a disability or medical condition Yes mental heath disorder is a broad term, but that doesn't mean that support is limited to just a few conditions. Providing someone has a diagnosed condition they are eligible to claim.

How much support they receive will be determined during a Needs Assessment, and ultimately depends on how their condition(s) affect them and what their course involves.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and advice :smile: . I really appreciate it :smile::smile::smile::smile:. I was very hesitant about applying for DSA as I was not sure what they could do for me, but now I have a cleared image. Thank you :yy::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by River85

That was the wrong term to use, sorry :colondollar:
I looked it up about how to make a claim and you have to have a note from your doctor and consultant and fill out a form and have a meeting; I'm quite pleased that it's rigorous and stops certain people from claiming when they don't have a condition.
Original post by lala121

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your very OCD about hygiene you'd probally need to go into a studio flat, student kitchens are normally messy no matter who lives there- people don't always wash things up straight away or clean up their mess or take out the bins if they are supposed to, particularly if its their first time living away from home.
But you'll have to apply for accommodation before your needs assessment (usually) so there's no guarantee that they'll cover some of your accommodation cost so make sure you don't pick one that you would not be able to afford without DSA.
Reply 15
Original post by jelly1000
If your very OCD about hygiene you'd probally need to go into a studio flat, student kitchens are normally messy no matter who lives there- people don't always wash things up straight away or clean up their mess or take out the bins if they are supposed to, particularly if its their first time living away from home.

Am more ocd about bathrooms then kitchens. :tongue: weird....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by x__justmyluck
But you'll have to apply for accommodation before your needs assessment (usually) so there's no guarantee that they'll cover some of your accommodation cost so make sure you don't pick one that you would not be able to afford without DSA.

I will have to apply for accommodation around may. So hopefully it would be done before otherwise I will have to find another way to get the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121

Posted from TSR Mobile

I opted out of normal student halls in the end but I was told by an advisor that DSA could help me cover the cost of a more expensive room... they can also cover things like a laptop, printer + ink, books, travel (e.g. to appointments) etc... also if you are in receipt of DSA you are usually a priority if you run into financial trouble for the universities financial assistance grants, it's certainly worth applying for and just see what you can qualify for

as for exam arrangements, you can access disability services at your uni regardless of whether you get DSA and they will organise things like extra time, rest breaks and smaller/individual rooms
Original post by lala121
Am more ocd about bathrooms then kitchens. :tongue: weird....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see
Reply 19
Original post by doodle_333
I opted out of normal student halls in the end but I was told by an advisor that DSA could help me cover the cost of a more expensive room... they can also cover things like a laptop, printer + ink, books, travel (e.g. to appointments) etc... also if you are in receipt of DSA you are usually a priority if you run into financial trouble for the universities financial assistance grants, it's certainly worth applying for and just see what you can qualify for

as for exam arrangements, you can access disability services at your uni regardless of whether you get DSA and they will organise things like extra time, rest breaks and smaller/individual rooms

Thank you! I have already spoken to my uni about exam arrangements so that's great. Its really helping me in the long run as having things in place really help me to reduce my anxiety assure myself everything will be FINE. so what do you mean you opted out did you decide to rent private? I was thinking of doing that but am really scared about all the bills etc. Especially as o have never lived away from or the city I might be moving to (Southampton)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest