The Student Room Group

Would you be put off dating someone if they were a vegetarian?

I haven't been a vegetarian for very long, but I'm already starting to get maddened by myself! Not being able to eat normal things in normal fast food places, checking the backs of packets to make sure I'm not out of my depth - even having to check cosmetic packets (like what, I thought testing on animals was illegal in the UK anyway)
It's totally worth it, of course, to save the animals - but is it just me or are vegetarians just infuriating? They need to come up with a proper burger substitute because goddamn I could murder mcdonalds right now

Scroll to see replies

just eat meat
Reply 2
I'm a meat lover so I probably wouldn't date a vegetarian. Especially the ones who seem to kick up a big fuss about it.
Reply 3
I'm a vegetarian, and when I met my boyfriend, he was a meat-eater. We have now been together for about a year and a half and he has become a vegetarian himself (of his own accord).
Being a veggie is a bonus feature as far as I'm concerned :yep:
Personally I dont mind, I like it when people have their own little things.

Then I can devour all the meat.
Reply 6
It would be weird for me cause if i was to take them for dinner i'd feel awkward eating meat in front of them
Not if she wouldn't be put off dating someone who will only cook her eggs, chips and beans for dinner! :awesome:
I wouldn't mind too much. As long as they wouldn't lecture me about why you shouldn't eat meat and were comfortable with me eating it.
Reply 9
Original post by Kat12395
I haven't been a vegetarian for very long, but I'm already starting to get maddened by myself! Not being able to eat normal things in normal fast food places, checking the backs of packets to make sure I'm not out of my depth - even having to check cosmetic packets (like what, I thought testing on animals was illegal in the UK anyway)
It's totally worth it, of course, to save the animals - but is it just me or are vegetarians just infuriating? They need to come up with a proper burger substitute because goddamn I could murder mcdonalds right now

I was a vegetarian for 8 years (I've been eating meat again since 2012). I think the main problem with being a vegetarian and dating, aside from scarce availability of other options and poor meat substitutes, is only if the former decides to force their views onto and preach emphatically about them to their partner. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem for most people (and I know that craving for Maccy D's very well lol!)
Original post by bluebubblegum
I wouldn't mind too much. As long as they wouldn't lecture me about why you shouldn't eat meat and were comfortable with me eating it.

I'm a vegetarian and I hate people who preach like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Haha my bf is vegetarian and I'm not -- but tbh I would be a better vegetarian than him! I always check the back of packets and stuff and he doesn't. I don't see why someone being veggie would put them off :/
Reply 12
Yep. The only place i would be able to eat is in subway. I have a friend who is vegetarian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Not at all, but I would be if you state what I should or should not eat.
I've found that most restaurants have a vegetarian option. I'm sure most takeaways do too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm a vegetarian and my boyfriend isn't. It's not an issue, I'm not arsed about eating meat, although sometimes it can kill romantic cooking together (What's that you say? You stirred my food with the spatula you just flipped your bacon with? Awesome, toast it is) it affects literally nothing. We go out to eat, he'll kindly let us cook quorn together, and he enjoys vegetarian restaurants as a chance to appreciate new food. I don't hold him to my personal values and don't have an issue with him enjoying meat. It's all gravy. Vegetarianism shouldn't be something that affects your life in a negative way.

Plus if anyone buys me haribo he automatically gets to eat it. Who wouldn't love that in a chick?
Reply 16
I wouldn't mind dating one, but I guess the other person would be pretty ticked off because I have protein pretty much in every meal.
Reply 17
I've been a vegetarian since I was about 13 and it's never been an issue with anyone I've dated. I don't particularly have an issue with other people eating meat, and I don't preach about vegetarianism, I just personally don't want to eat it.

My current boyfriend loves cooking and will happily cook me a vegetarian meal, and often enjoys the same meal as me.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you really want to be a vegetarian.
I was vegetarian from birth until not so long ago. Can't say it ever really made a difference to any relationships.
Reply 19
Original post by Kat12395

You aint saving any animals by not eating meat ..... Any animals you would eat would already of been killed, and as vegetarians are a vast minority of people in the world i don't think the killing of animals is going to change anytime soon....

I personally probably wouldn't date a vegetarian because we would probably have completely different views about everyday stuff. I would sleep with 1 though so i could cook a bacon sandwich next morning in her presence :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending