The Student Room Group

britain is the fattest nation is europe

Britain is the fattest nation in Western Europe, with more than a quarter of the population ranked as obese.

Obesity rates are rising rapidly across Europe but the UK rate of 26.1 per cent is more than twice that in France, at 12.9 per cent, according to a strudy by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Only Hungary outranks Britain with an obesity rate of 28.5 per cent. More than half of Europeans are overweight or obese, according to the report on health across the 27-nation OECD.
Obesity is more prevalent in women than men in most countries but fat men outnumber fat women in Norway, Iceland and Malta. The problem is worse among the poorer and less well educated. Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, asthma, arthritis and some forms of cancer are increased by obesity.
Many countries have stepped up efforts to tackle obesity. There have been taxes on foods high in fat and sugar, and several countries including Denmark, France, Finland and Hungary have passed legislation aimed at changing eating habits.
While obesity is rising, smoking and alcohol consumption are falling. Even so, the EU has the highest alcohol consumption in the world at 10.7 litres of pure alcohol per adult. Life expectancy in the EU was 79 years in 2010.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
seems like brits need to start hitting the gym.
I would like to take credit for helping to drag the figure upwards.
Well done Britain, Go us.

Fish & chips for everyone!!
Original post by Quantex
I would like to take credit for helping to drag the figure upwards.

I too am in the 26%. Feels good to be full :wink:
soon we can start the sequel to 'Fat And Furious'...
*reads thread whilst eating a donut*
Reply 7
Not good. We should introduce a rationing system for the obese, rather than sending them to hospital. That along with enforced exercise regimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Secretnerd123
*reads thread whilst eating a donut*

High five. Im eating cake.

Im allowed thought because im a healthy weight.
Read this as "brain is the fattest nation". I'm so lazy, that I can't read :facepalm:
Reply 10
I've never seen a fat french girl. I can't even comprehend a fat girl with a french accent for some reason.
Really not surprised
Original post by Jordooooom
I've never seen a fat french girl. I can't even comprehend a fat girl with a french accent for some reason.

I dont know why the last bit made me laugh :lol:
I propose a novel invention; landmines that are a certain weight at supermarkets.
There will be a secure entrance and guarded exit. At the entrance each person must stand on a scale. The BMI is calculated and if it is too high you are asked to only shop in the healthy section of the shop. The entrance to the unhealthy section is mined according to weight.

*Those with medical reasons to be exempt from the above can of course bypass this. Insanely buff guys with high BMI's for example can also be excluded at ease-you can't exactly lie to claim this applies to you.

The idea may need some work but the principle remains.

The final step is for this to work, obesity to go down, and for the anonymous individual on the internet to take credit for this.
Reply 14
It has been for a while now....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
they definitely should raise tax on fast food. the amount of obese people i see daily is disgusting. and people who are so large they have to use mobility scooters etc and take up aid that people who are actually disabled need. it's sad that it has to be us, but tbh i'm not even slightly surprised. I do feel sorry for the people who are large due to medical issues, but i'm pretty sure that's not the majority at all.
Original post by melinae
they definitely should raise tax on fast food. the amount of obese people i see daily is disgusting. and people who are so large they have to use mobility scooters etc and take up aid that people who are actually disabled need. it's sad that it has to be us, but tbh i'm not even slightly surprised. I do feel sorry for the people who are large due to medical issues, but i'm pretty sure that's not the majority at all.

Food is expensive enough as it is; why should everyone have to suffer because overweight people are lazy and greedy?
Medical reasons do not apply to most people.
Is it really up the government to tell us what to eat?
What next-the government advising on when to go to the toilet? If people are that dim they cannot choose what to eat themselves then kill them and make sure their stupid lazy genes do not contaminate the rest of the world. I mean it is hardly rocket sciene-eat more calories then you use and you gain weight. No excuses-all these "genetic" problems didn't apply 50-70 years ago for their grandparents and the general population for some reason:confused: :rolleyes:
Not having a go at you personally-just people who believe tax and government intervention is a solution. People should take responsibility for themselves for little things like eating ffs.
Reply 17
Too much binge drinking. Also, some of our national meals are undoubtedly unhealthy :teehee:
Reply 18
Just found out? :rofl3:
I'm not surprised!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending