The Student Room Group

Banking internships / work experience at GCSE age?

Hi everyone. I am a fifteen year old, in Year 10 (GCSE) and I am interested in working in the Banking sector in the future. I was wondering if anyone knew any banks that were willing to take someone like me on for a week or two, in school holidays? I know that J.P.Morgan does a work experience program, but anything else?

Many thanks in advance for all the help.
Anyone?
Reply 2
I tried for this, but insurance and security reasons turned me down in many of the major and even smaller firms. Good luck though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think you have to be 16 or 18, I'm afraid. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by y.arora
I tried for this, but insurance and security reasons turned me down in many of the major and even smaller firms. Good luck though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks so much! I'll try some other place.
Original post by Carleyx
I think you have to be 16 or 18, I'm afraid. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know any for when I am 16 to 18? Thanks.
Original post by arjunbendre
Hi everyone. I am a fifteen year old, in Year 10 (GCSE) and I am interested in working in the Banking sector in the future. I was wondering if anyone knew any banks that were willing to take someone like me on for a week or two, in school holidays? I know that J.P.Morgan does a work experience program, but anything else?

Many thanks in advance for all the help.

Move this to the Investment Banking & Consultancy thread.

Investment banks (assuming this is what you mean run multiple programmes) although usually not as early as Year 10.

You can get work experience at this age by reaching out to banks and/or contacts.

Otherwise J.P. Morgan run a work experience programme in Operations for A Level students.

Also, the following banks run insight programmes in investment banking for A Level students (one to three days): Nomura, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, HSBC and RBS. Big Four also run things as well.

Also look out for the Credit Suisse 'Steps to Success' programme and Deutsche Bank 'I have a Dream' programme.

At this stage, you should be focusing on building a strong application for these events. This means having stellar grades in everything, winning academic awards, speaking other languages, running own business, sport, business competitions, any kind of work experience, participating in extra-curricular activities, keeping up to date with commercial affairs, finding any opportunities to participate in to build your profile as well as anything that demonstrates leadership, team-work, communication and interpersonal skills. Voluntary work is also looked upon favourly as well etc. This is what you should be doing in the holidays until you are old enough fully.

Some programmes are also run such as the UCL Finance Conference and LSE Investment Banking Conference and Young Investment Banker Programme.

You should also be aware investment banks target certain universities so aim high and these are: Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL and Imperial where they mostly recruit from.

They also recruit a handful from semi-targets such as Cass, Bristol, Bath, Exeter, KCL and Nottingham etc.

Outside of this, it is extremely difficult to break in.

You should also be aware that junior investment bankers in certain divisions are required to work anything from 80-100+ hours a week including all-nighters in some divisions.

For more, visit:

www.unofficialguidetobanking.com
www.mergersandinquisitions.com
www.ibankingfaq.com
www.wallstreetoasis.com

Banking is the most competitive (and well-paid) industry so start as early as possible. Make sure you are well presented and have a killer CV and Cover Letter.

All the best :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by will2348
Move this to the Investment Banking & Consultancy thread.

Investment banks (assuming this is what you mean run multiple programmes) although usually not as early as Year 10.

You can get work experience at this age by reaching out to banks and/or contacts.

Otherwise J.P. Morgan run a work experience programme in Operations for A Level students.

Also, the following banks run insight programmes in investment banking for A Level students (one to three days): Nomura, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, HSBC and RBS. Big Four also run things as well.

Also look out for the Credit Suisse 'Steps to Success' programme and Deutsche Bank 'I have a Dream' programme.

At this stage, you should be focusing on building a strong application for these events. This means having stellar grades in everything, winning academic awards, speaking other languages, running own business, sport, business competitions, any kind of work experience, participating in extra-curricular activities, keeping up to date with commercial affairs, finding any opportunities to participate in to build your profile as well as anything that demonstrates leadership, team-work, communication and interpersonal skills. Voluntary work is also looked upon favourly as well etc. This is what you should be doing in the holidays until you are old enough fully.

Some programmes are also run such as the UCL Finance Conference and LSE Investment Banking Conference and Young Investment Banker Programme.

You should also be aware investment banks target certain universities so aim high and these are: Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL and Imperial where they mostly recruit from.

They also recruit a handful from semi-targets such as Cass, Bristol, Bath, Exeter, KCL and Nottingham etc.

Outside of this, it is extremely difficult to break in.

You should also be aware that junior investment bankers in certain divisions are required to work anything from 80-100+ hours a week including all-nighters in some divisions.

For more, visit:

www.unofficialguidetobanking.com
www.mergersandinquisitions.com
www.ibankingfaq.com
www.wallstreetoasis.com

Banking is the most competitive (and well-paid) industry so start as early as possible. Make sure you are well presented and have a killer CV and Cover Letter.

All the best :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will, that is amazing! Thanks so much for that!

I shall have a look at those websites and I will do all the things you said to do, before stepping into the Banking world. Thanks once again.

Quick Reply

Latest