The Student Room Group

why are western feminists so quiet on islam?

not even talking about islamic countries necessarily , but the millions of muslim women that now live in the western world. these are women who deal with real problems , yet instead they always moan about retarded issues like why does m&s designate toys for boys or girls . or the latest disney movie. or men's golf clubs (while women should be allowed to keep their own segregated clubs).

Scroll to see replies

Because Muslim feminists (or feminists who happily defend Islam) exist and are often quick to kick the arses of the feminists who speak against Islam.
Reply 2
lmao literally minutes after i posted this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2526126/Her-eyes-larger-wrists-Disney-heroine-Frozen-STILL-ridiculous-proportions.html

it's a cartoon you idiots! do men complain that they have to look like or be as rich/powerful as any of the male leads in the disney universe to be seen as ''worthy''? i mean it's much easier for a girl to be thin than it is for a guy to be tall, hot and have ultimate wealth and status. there's billions of thin girls out there but very few princes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mimi112

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2526126/Her-eyes-larger-wrists-Disney-heroine-Frozen-STILL-ridiculous-proportions.html

it's a cartoon you idiots! do men complain that they have to look like or be as rich/powerful as any of the male leads in the disney universe to be seen as ''worthy''? i mean it's much easier for a girl to be thin then it is for a guy to be tall, hot and have ultimate wealth and status. there's billions of thin girls out there but very few princes.

Yet another example of why the general public generally doesn't take feminism seriously.
Reply 4
God that's not even right. The wrists seem almost in proportion to her body.

it's the eyes that are way, way too big.
Reply 5
if they dislike ''western patriarchy'' so much, they should absolutely loathe islamic patriarchy. it doesn't get more patriarchal than that.

i remember a show about a muslim guy who was detained for years at gitmo and he was innocent. i felt really bad for him. then they showed him having dinner with one his former guards after being released. his wife was also there in a burka, sitting quietly at the table like a submissive dog. suddenly i didn't feel so bad for him. at least he didn't make her eat on the floor, i guess .
(edited 10 years ago)
Hard to take Western Feminist serious. Most are usually spoilt, jumped up white women with delusions of grandeur with little to no regard to other women's problems.
Reply 7
where are all the local feminists?
Reply 8
Because most feminists read the Guardian.

And helping Muslim women doesn't help them silly!
Reply 9
Original post by mimi112

it's a cartoon you idiots! do men complain that they have to look like or be as rich/powerful as any of the male leads in the disney universe to be seen as ''worthy''? i mean it's much easier for a girl to be thin than it is for a guy to be tall, hot and have ultimate wealth and status. there's billions of thin girls out there but very few princes.

'Her eyes are larger than her wrists'

inb4 complaints about anime.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Queen_Victoria
Hard to take Western Feminist serious. Most are usually spoilt, jumped up white women with delusions of grandeur with little to no regard to other women's problems.

weepy - whiny, white middle class women.
Original post by mimi112
weepy - whiny, white middle class women.

Yep!
Just look at TSR.

Muslims are constantly complaining about "hostility" against them when people are against the burka/hitting women.

Almost everyone on TSR who isn't Muslim speaks against Muslim women's oppression.

Edit: I don't think Muslim women are the only ones who need help. I think there are many Muslim men and women who would like to live a normal life but can't because of their families. If I ever become rich I'll open a charity for those people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mimi112
if they dislike ''western patriarchy'' so much, they should absolutely loathe islamic patriarchy. it doesn't get more patriarchal than that.

i remember a show about a muslim guy who was detained for years at gitmo and he was innocent. i felt really bad for him. then they showed him having dinner with one his former guards after being released. his wife was also there in a burka, sitting quietly at the table like a submissive dog. suddenly i didn't feel so bad for him. at least he didn't make her eat on the floor, i guess .

What in the world made you dub her a 'submissive dog'? That she was sitting? Or that she was sitting quietly? That she wasn't half-naked? That she was wearing a burka? Seems to me like you're the one behaving abnormally here, not 'western feminists'. So a man's wife wears a burka - does that necessarily mean that HE made her put it on?
Reply 14
Original post by Dragonfly07
Just look at TSR.

Muslims are constantly complaining about "hostility" against them when people are against the burka/hitting women.

Almost everyone on TSR who isn't Muslim speaks against Muslim women's oppression.

Edit: I don't think Muslim women are the only ones who need help. I think there are many Muslim men and women who would like to live a normal life but can't because of their families. If I ever become rich I'll open a charity for those people.

so why don't we see feminist articles in the huff post or guardian on that and instead everything is focused on disney, barbie and men's golf clubs?
Reply 15
Because Western feminists are (typically) not Muslim, and therefore don't talk about the things that they're not affected by.

That's like saying "why don't white people talk about racism?" because racism really, really doesn't concern white people at the same scale as POC.

Likewise, non-Muslim feminists have little to no first-hand experience of issues faced by Muslim women, so they're not exactly qualified to talk about it.
Reply 16
Original post by Dragonfly07
Just look at TSR.

Muslims on TSR speak against the oppression of Muslim women just as much as those who aren't Muslim.
Reply 17
Original post by mimi112
not even talking about islamic countries necessarily , but the millions of muslim women that now live in the western world. these are women who deal with real problems , yet instead they always moan about retarded issues like why does m&s designate toys for boys or girls . or the latest disney movie. or men's golf clubs (while women should be allowed to keep their own segregated clubs).

Shami Chakrabati needed her beauty sleep
Reply 18
None of their business.
Reply 19
Original post by faketitle
What in the world made you dub her a 'submissive dog'? That she was sitting? Or that she was sitting quietly? That she wasn't half-naked? That she was wearing a burka? Seems to me like you're the one behaving abnormally here, not 'western feminists'. So a man's wife wears a burka - does that necessarily mean that HE made her put it on?

i would love to know that. and i would love to hear an honest answer without her fearing she will be ''honorably killed'' or disowned for not agreeing with practices 1500 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest