The Student Room Group

Looking for...

A fellow English language student whose started or completed their A2 coursework :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Im doing mine at the moment, are you doing the language investigation?:smile:
I sure am but I am self teaching myself it so finding it difficult because you are meant to have someone to bounce ideas off and I have no one :no:
Reply 3
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
I sure am but I am self teaching myself it so finding it difficult because you are meant to have someone to bounce ideas off and I have no one :no:

Yeah Im sat here with the first draft meant to be in for monday like...AGHH. what you doing yours on?
You can throw me some ideas if you want. I had 76/80 and am first year Eng lang degree student now.
Original post by __naomij
Yeah Im sat here with the first draft meant to be in for monday like...AGHH. what you doing yours on?

All I have so far is I am interested in children and the evolution of English language. I prefer answering questions rather than making hypotheses.

My idea was to get 3 children books for literacy, maths and science dating back to early 1900's and compare them to 2000's books in same subjects. The problem I have is I need someone to tell me if it is a good or bad idea! :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JennaEmBee
You can throw me some ideas if you want. I had 76/80 and am first year Eng lang degree student now.

How did you go about your data analysis? Im doing jamie oliver vs nigella lawson and have just finished transcribing data, thanks
Reply 7
All I have so far is I am interested in children and the evolution of English language. I prefer answering questions rather than making hypotheses.

My idea was to get 3 children books for literacy, maths and science dating back to early 1900's and compare them to 2000's books in same subjects. The problem I have is I need someone to tell me if it is a good or bad idea! :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

using three books is a lot unless theyre really small you could probably get away with doing one, but if youve done the language and change topic this would defo work:smile:
using three books is a lot unless theyre really small you could probably get away with doing one, but if youve done the language and change topic this would defo work:smile:

I was thinking small books. I'm super aware of the word count.

So far I've studied language acquisition. Now approaching language change. How about yourself?

Great choices for Chefs. I guessing you're focusing on gender aspects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I was thinking small books. I'm super aware of the word count.

So far I've studied language acquisition. Now approaching language change. How about yourself?

Great choices for Chefs. I guessing you're focusing on gender aspects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah as long as you have a good set of data else itll be hard to keep under the word count im guessing! done change and aquistion breifly, finishing coursework peices then going back to both topics for revision :smile: yeah gender, jamie oliver v nigella lawson
yeah as long as you have a good set of data else itll be hard to keep under the word count im guessing! done change and aquistion breifly, finishing coursework peices then going back to both topics for revision :smile: yeah gender, jamie oliver v nigella lawson

Cool. Are you setting out to answer a question or to prove a hypothesis?
Really enjoying acquisition but am more intrigued in language change. Starting that next week. Have you been using the AQA book much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends on what your data is, my tutor tried getting everyone to use the same structure which was fine for some but not for me. Also word limit (for me at least) was a load of ****e, my final piece was 6000.

I analysed the differences in techniques used to advertise to men and women, so my data was 5 ads for men, 5 ads for women. My teacher wanted it to be set out like - lexis:ad1 ad2 ad3 etc, then semantics ad1 ad2 ad3 but it just didn't run smoothly so I set it out as ad1 all frameworks, ad2 analysis of all FWs and commented on differences as I was going as I had ten things to analyse. How's yours going?
Reply 12
Cool. Are you setting out to answer a question or to prove a hypothesis?
Really enjoying acquisition but am more intrigued in language change. Starting that next week. Have you been using the AQA book much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably use a research question but ill write one out once I've gathered the data so i can be a bit more specific:smile: Acquisition is a lot more interesting I found but I had an awfully bad teacher for language change so maybe thats why haha. We've been given two revision books from CGP and thats it :/
Reply 13
Original post by JennaEmBee
It really depends on what your data is, my tutor tried getting everyone to use the same structure which was fine for some but not for me. Also word limit (for me at least) was a load of ****e, my final piece was 6000.

I analysed the differences in techniques used to advertise to men and women, so my data was 5 ads for men, 5 ads for women. My teacher wanted it to be set out like - lexis:ad1 ad2 ad3 etc, then semantics ad1 ad2 ad3 but it just didn't run smoothly so I set it out as ad1 all frameworks, ad2 analysis of all FWs and commented on differences as I was going as I had ten things to analyse. How's yours going?

I have two transcripts ready so I think im just gonna analyse it sentence by sentece and make a tally of every feature that appears then spplit them into their frameworks and see what ive got then, dont know how else I could do it!! Yours sounded interesting, Im slightly worried I dont have enough features from the data but I guess I can put that in the evaluation or something...
Reply 14
Me!

But I'm on the WJEC board so I don't know how much help I can be, I did get full marks last year though.

Can I ask you what your word limit is?
It's just that the data you've suggested seems like a lot to be writing about and you might benefit from just having two pieces of data which you can compare.
Original post by Lialore
Me!

But I'm on the WJEC board so I don't know how much help I can be, I did get full marks last year though.

Can I ask you what your word limit is?
It's just that the data you've suggested seems like a lot to be writing about and you might benefit from just having two pieces of data which you can compare.

Hey Me :biggrin:

The word limit is 2500 - short and sweet lol

I might compare a literacy book then from 1900's and a recent literacy book for a child aged, say, 6 year olds.

If I'm completely honest my heart isn't in this investigation at all but think that is because I don't get any reassurance from a tutor per se.

However, I do not want to fail English and I have to carry it out to the end or no Unit for me.

:frown:
Reply 16
Hey Me :biggrin:

The word limit is 2500 - short and sweet lol

I might compare a literacy book then from 1900's and a recent literacy book for a child aged, say, 6 year olds.

If I'm completely honest my heart isn't in this investigation at all but think that is because I don't get any reassurance from a tutor per se.

However, I do not want to fail English and I have to carry it out to the end or no Unit for me.

:frown:

Sounds good to me :biggrin: I'd keep it just the two, you can slip in more high-level analysis. Another idea, if you want more to talk about, could be to go back in time a liiiittle bit more and pick school books that were focused at either a core subject (sciences) or female subject (sewing, cookery) and compare them because I bet the language would be a lot different when aimed at different genders in those times.

It must be hard to get hold of this stuff though if you haven't got a teacher to help you.

I've finished my first piece, my second is meant to be done in 3 days but I haven't even started it. Sigh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending