The Student Room Group

Can someone explain meiosis?

I'm doing As biology, and learning about meiosis at the moment.
here's my explanation of meiosis at the moment.

1st division.
- chromosomes and centriole duplicate.
(Early prophase)

- chromosomes line up, and spindal begins to form
(Late prophase)

- Chromosome pairs up at the equator.
(Metaphase)

- Spindal pulls chromosome apart
(Anaphase

- Cell membrane constricts
Telaphase.

Is this correct?
Also can someone in very simple English, explain the 2nd division of meiosis.

Please and thank yoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
there are loads of useful diagrams on google that help you understand cell division
Reply 2
Original post by iWoof
I'm doing As biology, and learning about meiosis at the moment.
here's my explanation of meiosis at the moment.

1st division.
- chromosomes and centriole duplicate.
(Early prophase)

- chromosomes line up, and spindal begins to form
(Late prophase)

- Chromosome pairs up at the equator.
(Metaphase)

- Spindal pulls chromosome apart
(Anaphase

- Cell membrane constricts
Telaphase.

Is this correct?
Also can someone in very simple English, explain the 2nd division of meiosis.

Please and thank yoy

Nearly so. You have grasped the main concept, but quite simplistically. There are events, such as the formation of the synaptonemal complex and subsequent crossing over, which are an integral part of prophase 1. Also, the prophase 1 is further subdivided into LZPDD--Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene and Diakinesis, but I don't think you need to know about that. Just remember that crossing over and reduction division take place during MEIOSIS one, in which 2n-->n no of chromosomes in daughter cells.

The 2nd division of meiosis is nothing worth understanding. If you have studied mitosis, then the major events that take place during meiosis 2 are almost similar to mitosis. There is no reduction division here i.e. 2 parent cells with n chromosomes produce 4 daughter cells with "n" chromosomes again, so no reduction division takes place here.

I think that is all about it. Do tell me if you want more details.
Original post by iWoof
x

Your depiction of the important steps is quite good. Nevertheless I would add the Interphases of meiosis. The only one which I would improve in your depiction is the Telophase: Instead of to write that the cell membrane is constricted, the cell begins to split, so two cells with identical chromosome sets come into being.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dynamo123
Nearly so. You have grasped the main concept, but quite simplistically. There are events, such as the formation of the synaptonemal complex and subsequent crossing over, which are an integral part of prophase 1. Also, the prophase 1 is further subdivided into LZPDD--Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene and Diakinesis, but I don't think you need to know about that. Just remember that crossing over and reduction division take place during MEIOSIS one, in which 2n-->n no of chromosomes in daughter cells.

The 2nd division of meiosis is nothing worth understanding. If you have studied mitosis, then the major events that take place during meiosis 2 are almost similar to mitosis. There is no reduction division here i.e. 2 parent cells with n chromosomes produce 4 daughter cells with "n" chromosomes again, so no reduction division takes place here.

I think that is all about it. Do tell me if you want more details.

Am i being an idiot, or did OP say meiosis, mitosis is what has been explained.
Meiosis involves independent segregation and crossing over right? Or are the two processes almost identical.
Reply 5
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Meiosis involves independent segregation and crossing over right? Or are the two processes almost identical.

I read this and was worried AS biology has failed me!
Original post by Maccman
I read this and was worried AS biology has failed me!

You read my comment or read the OP?
Reply 7
You read my comment or read the OP?

I am agreeing with you, was pretty confused when he only mentioned one division..
Reply 8

Um, I mentioned crossing over after the formation of the synaptonemal complex. The OP didn't.
Original post by Dynamo123
Um, I mentioned crossing over after the formation of the synaptonemal complex. The OP didn't.

My point was I think OP got meiosis and mitosis mixed up :s-smilie:

You are looking for differences, right?

In comparison to meiosis, mitosis creates two diploid daughter cells which are identical to the mother cell in terms of genetics, while meiosis creates four haploid daughter cells which are not genetically identical to the mother cell. Thus meiosis is capable of creating gametes and genetical variability of the descendants is possible. Against that mitosis is just a breeding of cells which are not able to create genetical variability.

Moreover mitosis has more processes in comparison to meiosis.
Reply 11
My point was I think OP got meiosis and mitosis mixed up :s-smilie:

my explanation was of meiosis.
But only the 1st division. Where two haploid cells are formed.
Reply 12
Original post by iWoof

The guy with the long explanation was correct, however that was A2 level. What you put at the top is fine. The second stage is also very similar to the first. He said it was similar to mitosis in the second stage because you can't split haploid cells

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by GeogBerry
The guy with the long explanation was correct, however that was A2 level. What you put at the top is fine. The second stage is also very similar to the first. He said it was similar to mitosis in the second stage because you can't split haploid cells

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhh I get it now
Thanks everyone
Original post by Kallisto
You are looking for differences, right?

In comparison to meiosis, mitosis creates two diploid daughter cells which are identical to the mother cell in terms of genetics, while meiosis creates four haploid daughter cells which are not genetically identical to the mother cell. Thus meiosis is capable of creating gametes and genetical variability of the descendants is possible. Against that mitosis is just a breeding of cells which are not able to create genetical variability.

Moreover mitosis has more processes in comparison to meiosis.

Original post by iWoof

Nope, I know the differences, I was under the impression that independent segregation and cross over occurred in meiosis I?
Nope, I know the differences, I was under the impression that independent segregation and cross over occurred in meiosis I?

As far as I can see crossing over comes first to enable a recombination. This step counts to Prophase I what belongs to meiosis I. If independent segregation is another word for segration in four haploid daughter cells, then you are wrong. Haploid daughter cells are splitted in Prophase II what counts to meiosis II. In the other hand the segregation in four haploid daughter cells begins in Telophase I. From the perspective of the beginning independent segregation counts to meiosis I. But if independent segregation means the split of two homologous chromosomes in two haploid cells with double chromosomes, then independent segregation is a part of meiosis I too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending