The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dtwolves
Thanks for the reply!

Are the campuses nearby to the city centre? I really like the area surrounding the Oxford colleges. Sorry if that's a sily question, but I'd be grateful if you could clarify.

Hopefully I can go along to the open day and get a better idea of the university.

I'm hoping to study something mathematical, do you have any idea how their maths department is?

Thanks in advance for the information.

I don't know about their maths department, but if you do study maths or something mathematically based at Oxford Brookes, I do believe you will be on Wheatley Campus, which is the same as me! :biggrin:

Anyway, Wheatley Campus is a few miles outside of the city centre. It is the only campus of which I know that isn't in the centre - however there are buses which come every 10/15 minutes quite late into the evening as well as early in the morning, and all times in between.

Here is a little more info on it for you :smile:

Oxford Brookes Wheatley Campus

Brookes Bus - this isn't run directly by the university, but by Oxford Bus company for the university.

Oxford Brookes Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mathematical Sciences

I would highly recommend going along on an open day if you can. You may well be invited along on an offer-holders day, if you do get an offer, and they do interview for some subjects.

They did interview me for Computer Science, but it is not like one of the serious, suit-up interviews. It is more a friendly chat about why you want to go to Brookes and about your field of choice. They even told us to go in casual dress for it (though you did still get people who came in a suit)! Though, of course, a baggy t-shirt with shorts or something is a bit.. not so good, even for a casual interview. Just go for smart casual, everyone likes that - and it is far easier to smarten down than it is to smarten up!

Oh, one last thing regarding the campuses (campusi??) - you can live on a different one to the one where you work. I am considering living on Headington Campus, and that is much closer to the city centre. I will leave you a link for all of the Oxford Brookes campuses here:

Oxford Brookes Campuses

Sorry about the long-winded post - I have ranted on a bit here. I do hope I helped :smile:
Original post by Soontobesuper
Hey Happy Birthday
Hi5 January Babies! :five:
My friends aren't really the going out types, so I can't really see being 18 making much of a difference to me

Thank you :biggrin: woo! :five: aww that's a shame :redface:

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Just under 5 months :smile: so its not too bad

Ah not too bad at all :biggrin:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Happy Birthday! :woo:

Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
:wizard2: Happy Birthday Lucy!!!:yay: :elefant: :party2:

When's the party? :colone:

Thank you very much :biggrin:

How about us lot have a party at mine now? :wink:
Original post by Blueray2
btw Happy birthday :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Yeah that does make sense, nice to see you being responsible :smile: and late May :smile:

I don't usually have motivation when I do work, I normally just start off slowly then get really into it

:lol: I'm not always- I learnt the hard way when I didn't take the relevant tablets one day so I could drink and I almost ended up in hospital before I even touched any alcohol :tongue: But that's not too far away, at least you don't have to wait until August or something! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
To everyone who PMd me: I'm not ignoring you, I promise I'll reply to your PMs as soon as I've finished with my revision/coursework stuff! :tongue: If anyone else wants to PM me, feel free! :biggrin:

Oh, and if you've quoted me, I'll reply after I finish my work too :tongue:

I forgive you then usycool1
:yep:
What do you have left to do?
Need help what motivates you to study? And how do you stay focused on long assignments that you have to complete by the end of the day? :s-smilie:

I'm not really the best person to ask, but just think of all the horrible things your teacher could do to you if you don't hand in that essay (dangle you upside down by the toenails, throwing you out the window... But don't let your imagination distract you too much :lol:).

On a more serious note, just set yourself targets of what needs to be done and by when, and have regular breaks, plenty of water etc. Use bribes of things you want- say you can't have that piece of chocolate until you've revised circular motion, or can't watch your favourite TV show unless you've finished the questions on differentiation (sorry I can't remember your subjects, but you get the point :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need help what motivates you to study? And how do you stay focused on long assignments that you have to complete by the end of the day? :s-smilie:

Am I not good enough to be Quoted?
Original post by keromedic
I forgive you then usycool1
:yep:
What do you have left to do?

I wasn't asking for forgiveness, I was just asking you all to deal with it :smug: :tongue:

But no, seriously, I've finished now so I'll just start replying to them! :yep:
Original post by usycool1
I wasn't asking for forgiveness, I was just asking you all to deal with it :smug: :tongue:

But no, seriously, I've finished now so I'll just start replying to them! :yep:

Fair enough :tongue:
You betta :yep:.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

not long to go now
Reply 9469
Original post by Robbie242

not long to go now

till what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He gets his letter from Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not long to go now

Best of luck :biggrin:, you're applying for maths right???
Original post by smile:D
Best of luck :biggrin:, you're applying for maths right???

Thank you :biggrin: yeah I've applied for Maths at Pembroke

I've applied for history :smile:, not holding out much hope though :tongue:
I've applied for history :smile:, not holding out much hope though :tongue:

Oh cool, haha neither am I, preparing myself for ze rejection tomorrow :lol:
Oh cool, haha neither am I, preparing myself for ze rejection tomorrow :lol:

I'll get autopooled, so I guess that's something, but I know it'll just be more waiting until I'm finally rejected.

Anyway it's not over til you get the letter :tongue:
Reply 9476
Original post by itssimplyme
He gets his letter from Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah right, thanks

good luck m8 :biggrin:
I'll get autopooled, so I guess that's something, but I know it'll just be more waiting until I'm finally rejected.

Anyway it's not over til you get the letter :tongue:

Ah I suppose, that must feel bad ahah :redface:

I suppose but better to prepare for a rejection

Original post by Qari
ah right, thanks

good luck m8 :biggrin:

Thanks bro! :biggrin:
Original post by Claree
I'll be autopooled too. Waiting for the letter's so nerve-wracking! :s-smilie:

Best of luck :biggrin:, I know and knowing my luck it won't even arrive tomorrow :rolleyes:
Just replied to the PMs (not the replies, but thank you to those who've sent them, I'll have a read of them in a second). :biggrin: Took me aaaages. :yawn: :tongue: But if I've missed anyone out, let me know! :biggrin: And if you wanna PM me (see my last post in purple), still feel free!

Latest