The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by fuze-mo25
To be honest qualifications are not the only measure of intelliegence, there are countless graduates who have no general smarts or common sense. Just because someone gets 100% in A level maths does not mean he or she is better than anyone else at anything but maths. And with regards to needing cleverer figureheads its not exactly the british empire era were there was important and country changing things to do. I dont even think they do anything anyway. Hardly makes a difference what qualifications they have.
Being good at maths trancends into other areas.
Original post by Namige
Anything below an A is embarrassing to have. Considering almost everyone gets As nowadays.

yeah im sure they do, if you live on tsr
Reply 62
There was a time young Lords gained degrees from Oxford & Cambridge as a formality - barely any time was spent at study which was not even expected of them. With this in mind, I'm not against William studying at Cambridge, you could argue it's his birth right.
Yes, I agree. It is disgusting since they went to Eton and had the best education in the world. They are pampered and have not won their place it university (William) due to intelligence. Harry did not even go because he did so badly, and he only got into the AAC because he couldnt deploy on the frontline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jack Robinson
Yes, considering Prince William's gotten himself into Cambridge, and though the course isn't a conventional one, I don't think anybody gotten in with more mediocre A levels than his. Then there's prince charles our future king, he's done 5 O levels and TWO A levels gettings Bs and Cs AND he got HIMSELF into Camb as well. Then there's the others who've done way sub-par subjects such Georgraphy, PE, politics etc for A level and have still gotten awful grades - Bs and Cs, the like. Then there's the cherry on the pie, the Queen herself - she's got no qualifications AT ALL according to the Telegraph.
Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Surely not? We're being ruled by a pack of dunces. They admitted it themselves (Princess Diana did, at least)! What are we waiting for??? REVOLUTION!!!!!!

Considering the fact that they've had the best education than most people in this country then yes it is embarrassing. There's people who come from poor countries and still get better grades then them even though their English isnt great. The fact that they can get into Cambridge based on their ****ty grades makes me think what else has the country has let them slide based on their status.
That's it, keep on feeding the troll :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by tengentoppa
1. We're not being ruled by them. They're merely figureheads
2. Removing them would be bad for the economy (tourism etc.). Also, too much hassle.
3. I do agree royals should not get into uni on account of their status. It should be meritocratic.

The second point you make is incorrect since the revenue made from royal tourism is less than the tax we pay to fund their lives.
Original post by Birkenhead
I would add that I don't think anyone has got in with a greater set of extenuating circumstances either, being the third in line to the throne and all. ABC isn't too bad considering how much exposure he's had in the public eye and the myriad of engagements and commitments he's had to juggle.

For someone so condescending towards what they perceive as sub-par academic standards you are quite the grammatical libertine.

Extenuating? HE WENT TO ETON FFS.

Plus the media werent allowed to disrupt them during their education plus they had no duties until they were 18.

I call complete and utter bull****.

ABC is sub-standard, i got far better than that and most of my entire school year didnt even pass GSCE's nevermind A levels. Its an absolute disgrace

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by BC95
The second point you make is incorrect since the revenue made from royal tourism is less than the tax we pay to fund their lives.

You're making that up.

How much do you think "we pay"?
Reply 69
Original post by Clip
Most apparent intellectuals on TSR would struggle to get 5 O levels from the 1950s, never mind the A levels.

Ah how were the 50's pray tell
Reply 70
Original post by Clip
You're making that up.

How much do you think "we pay"?

Go look it up... it's a well recognised 'myth' that we profit from tourism associated with the monarchy.
Reply 71
Original post by BC95
Ah how were the 50's pray tell

I have no idea, but O levels as they were in the 80s/90s were tougher than A levels now.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I bet they wish they could have paid enough attention on their studies to gain better grades, but their life is completely different to ours. But to be honest, their grades weren't bad. Sure, they may be laughed out of TSR, but that's nothing new with all the A*A*A*A*A*A*A* "I did a thousand A Levels" students we have here.

As for the Queen, she's almost 90, how much education do you honestly think was available for women when she was younger? Women in those days would have been lucky to get to a high school instead of becoming a housewife (or helping their Mother until they were old enough themselves, at least). Upper class or not, education still wasn't what was prioritised.

I used to say that but I'd say there's far more people complaining about it here. I'd say there's still a decent distribution of grades on here :h:.
Reply 73
Original post by Clip
I have no idea, but O levels as they were in the 80s/90s were tougher than A levels now.

Hard enough to justify ABC being Cambridge worthy?
Reply 74
Original post by BC95
Hard enough to justify ABC being Cambridge worthy?

I don't know. Possibly. In the late 80s, early 90s the standard offer for Medicine from UCL was CCC, and you could get into Oxford with EE, provided you passed their own entrance essay.

But we're mixing two completely different things. William and Charles's A-levels. And William is going for a bespoke course. Anyone can do that - thousands of students go to Cambridge every year just by paying a few pound.
(edited 10 years ago)
a B is actually good!

A* outstanding/excellent
A excellent
B very good
C good
D ok
E bad
F poor
G very bad
U fail

BUT I wouldn't consider anyone who has below A in all science subjects to get in to medical school...maybe maths at least B ok... But the rest should be at A*-A
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Clip
I don't know. Possibly. In the late 80s, early 90s the standard offer for Medicine from UCL was CCC, and you could get into Oxford with EE, provided you passed their own entrance essay.

But we're mixing two completely different things. William and Charles's A-levels.

Since subject specific entrance exams still exist, are you convinced that William took this exam?

Or more believably was he admitted to the University regardless of grades and entrance exams?
Reply 77
Original post by BC95
Since subject specific entrance exams still exist, are you convinced that William took this exam?

Or more believably was he admitted to the University regardless of grades and entrance exams?

I think that's entirely irrelevant and nothing more than ignorance of the facts. A-levels are not for taking short courses at university. I can book myself on a course at Selwyn College tomorrow by handing over £500 and they won't care how many UCAS points I have.

William is not going there to read an undergraduate degree. How people who are apparently so educated (as the Cambridge students making the fuss) can miss that is the question,
Reply 78
Original post by Clip
I think that's entirely irrelevant and nothing more than ignorance of the facts. A-levels are not for taking short courses at university. I can book myself on a course at Selwyn College tomorrow by handing over £500 and they won't care how many UCAS points I have.

William is not going there to read an undergraduate degree. How people who are apparently so educated (as the Cambridge students making the fuss) can miss that is the question,

I'm well aware of the context. Moreover I doubt that this is the first and indeed the last time you will play the "ignorance" card when in debate.

It's nothing short of a fact that entrance is being given regardless of grades and entrance exams.

It is ignorance on your behalf however that you think the uproar among Cambridge University students (no matter how large population) is completely misguided and is based on inadequate research of the question at hand.
Reply 79
Original post by BC95
I'm well aware of the context. Moreover I doubt that this is the first and indeed the last time you will play the "ignorance" card when in debate.

It's nothing short of a fact that entrance is being given regardless of grades and entrance exams.

It is ignorance on your behalf however that you think the uproar among Cambridge University students (no matter how large population) is completely misguided and is based on inadequate research of the question at hand.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. This isn't an undergraduate course. It's a 10 week short course, and he's already a graduate. His A-levels are utterly irrelevant.

He's got an upper second from St Andrews. He meets the Cambridge Postgraduate requirements. I do not understand what you object to.

Latest

Trending

Trending