The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue Meltwater
So would I. But what if you were to get a rerun of the 1979 referendum, where the voters were to vote in favour of independence but it were to be denied because of the turnout? That would just drag the entire affair out even further and create even more bitterness. I don't really have an answer to the dilemma other than praying for high turnout - the only solution I can see which would remove either problem is compulsory voting, though that comes with its own whole share of ethical problems.

That situation won't arise.

From a personal perspective though. If 50% of the electorate can't be arsed to vote, then I don't see how any of the groupings for the two potential outcomes can claim the moral high ground.

It's about just or this referendum though. I'd prefer everybody to be forced to vote in any election even if its just to spoil their ballot.

That way that would stop triumphalist politicians claiming any high ground when somebody can point out X voted for you, but 100 - X didn't.

Did you get a chance to read those links on defence?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'm saying that the flawed accountancy methodology that the SNP use is pants. The UK buys equipment in from abroad in some areas so theoretically nowhere in the UK gets more money spent on it than it pays in.

Scotland doesn't have an aircraft industry so no matter what we do we'll never get anything that gets spent on anything that flies that can ever be attributed to Scotland. Neither do we build things like tanks.

With your warped logic you appear to promising an organic defence industry that builds, operates and maintains everything by ourselves.......which we know that the YeSNP campaign has been telling porkies to us about.

What method do the SNP use?
What Scotland be like if don't vote yes can we afford to risk that?
Original post by Left Hand Drive
What method do the SNP use?

Their own one that they're developing.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy/SNAP

plus the GOvernment and Expenditure Revenue Scotland (GERS)

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independence-economist-attacks-evidence-in-debate-1-2857358
Reply 4824

Yep, considering we'll be far more prosperous, outward-looking, financially stable, able to make decisions on the international stage, liberal, tolerant and fun than under the alternative.

That'll no doubt annoy all you neo-Calvinists in the nationalist movement who like everything to be mildly ****, the world to be controlled by lecturing elder-of-the-kirk types and that everyone should be broadly dependent on the state.

But we're going to be in the United Kingdom. An amazing country with a wonderful history and a bright future. I, for one, am looking forward.

Can we afford the risk of voting yes? All of the evidence points to we can't. That's not withstanding the desire of many to remain in the UK.

There's a significant amount of grief whoring about the existing state of affairs. We are in a significantly stronger position now than many of our European friends.

The issue that many seem to forget is that pretty much everything that impacts on society is already devolved. Healthcare and education being the two main issues.
(edited 10 years ago)
I am extremely tempted to go to Sturgeon's talk in St Andrews on Monday and directly ask her why her government has a bigoted stance on tuition fees in an independent Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

****ed.

Thatcher made ‘secret cuts’ to Scottish budget

Can't see this happening in the event of a No vote :rolleyes:
Original post by cowsforsale
****ed.

Thatcher made ‘secret cuts’ to Scottish budget

Can't see this happening in the event of a No vote :rolleyes:

You may want to actually read the article you've quoted. It doesn't actually say that secret cuts were made.

However if your left quoting selectively released papers from before you were born as a reason. You must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It may have missed you by, but cries of 'Maggie' tend to beast by a vocal minority who actually think most of us care about what a politician thought about doing 30 years ago will actually impact on today.

The SNP have promised me a positive campaign. All they've managed so far is bluster, bull **** and now trying to stir up some anti Tory bile that only gets the blood up of the extreme left wingers who are already in the SNP now.

theybe now recently been trying to say that we'll somehow be punished if we vote no.

Who's been getting called project fear again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
You may want to actually read the article you've quoted. It doesn't actually say that secret cuts were made.

However if your left quoting selectively released papers from before you were born as a reason. You must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

You're free to draw your own conclusions from that articles, whilst the rest of us come to another. I merely copied the headline.

Mrs Thatcher rejected this level of cuts, but in a memo her Private Secretary Andrew Turnbull said she felt "it would be better... to trim Scottish programmes as and when opportunity arose rather than through a very conspicuous exercise".

Tories secretly wanted to cut millions from Scottish budget

BBC Scotland's Westminster correspondent Tim Reid reports on how George Younger's refusal to accede to bigger cuts disappointed Mrs Thatcher and sparked a cabinet row.

Link

I guess you disagree with those too?

It may have missed you by, but cries of 'Maggie' tend to beast by a vocal minority who actually think most of us care about what a politician thought about doing 30 years ago will actually impact on today.

Yawn
The SNP have promised me a positive campaign.

They promised you?
As opposed to Better Together? Go on then, what is the vision for Scotland in the even of a No vote? What is the vision for the rUK in the event of a No Vote?

I supposed you'd call this positive then?

[video="youtube_share;7FOGH-kw_aE"]http://youtu.be/7FOGH-kw_aE?t=4m29s[/video]

All they've managed so far is bluster, bull **** and now trying to stir up some anti Tory bile that only gets the blood up of the extreme left wingers who are already in the SNP now.

Go on then, was this SNP who broke the news?

Your whole argument is based on being indignant that a central government should want to bring spending (higher under the Barnett formula in Scotland for entirely political reasons) into line with that in England. How does this square with Scotland being the poor relation? And with Scotland currently having a bad deal?
You're free to draw your own conclusions from that articles, whilst the rest of us come to another. I merely copied the headline.

Tories secretly wanted to cut millions from Scottish budget

Link

I guess you disagree with those too?

Yawn

They promised you?
As opposed to Better Together? Go on then, what is the vision for Scotland in the even of a No vote? What is the vision for the rUK in the event of a No Vote?

I supposed you'd call this positive then?

[video="youtube_share;7FOGH-kw_aE"]http://youtu.be/7FOGH-kw_aE?t=4m29s[/video]

Go on then, was this SNP who broke the news?

Your friend Choo Choo failed to answer the question so I will put it to you:

What do you think of the SNP proposal to discriminate against RUK students in an independent Scotland in defiance of EU law? How does it make Scotland a fairer society to do this?

Also, the Scottish Tories have three times as many MSPs as the Lib Dems. I thought Scotland was full of socially aware Good Samaritans and all the evil Tories lived 'doon sooth'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
Your whole argument is based on being indignant that a central government should want to bring spending (higher under the Barnett formula in Scotland for entirely political reasons) into line with that in England. How does this square with Scotland being the poor relation? And with Scotland currently having a bad deal?

Spending is higher north of the border because of protection of the NHS and so on from devolved powers in the Scottish parliament. South of the border, the UK government are privatising everything. So yes, I agree with you that spending is higher for a reason. Independence will protect Scotland from the outrageous actions of the UK Government.
Original post by Midlander
I am extremely tempted to go to Sturgeon's talk in St Andrews on Monday and directly ask her why her government has a bigoted stance on tuition fees in an independent Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be free for people "who live and work" in Scotland. I don't see how that is discriminatory. The people "who live and work" in Scotland are only getting a vote in the referendum. Is that discriminatory too?
Sorry, I meant to say "protection from privatisation" in my post.
Reply 4835
Original post by Choo.choo
Spending is higher north of the border because of protection of the NHS and so on from devolved powers in the Scottish parliament. South of the border, the UK government are privatising everything. So yes, I agree with you that spending is higher for a reason. Independence will protect Scotland from the outrageous actions of the UK Government.

I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

The Scottish Government's spending is set by the UK Government. It is given a block grant. That the Scottish Government chooses to spend this in certain ways is irrelevant to the overall quantum of spending.

As for the NHS - I think you've managed to find a rather poor one to go on there. The UK Government is increasing NHS spending above inflation projections for every year of this parliament. Spending is going up. This resorts in Barnett consequentials, giving even more money to the Scottish Government - which they had to be shamed into spending on health.

It will be free for people "who live and work" in Scotland. I don't see how that is discriminatory. The people "who live and work" in Scotland are only getting a vote in the referendum. Is that discriminatory too?

It's got nothing to do with "work", it's residency based alone. It will also apply to everyone resident in any other EU country - aside, it seems, from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That's why it's discriminatory. Absurdly so, in fact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L i b
I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

The Scottish Government's spending is set by the UK Government. It is given a block grant. That the Scottish Government chooses to spend this in certain ways is irrelevant to the overall quantum of spending.

As for the NHS - I think you've managed to find a rather poor one to go on there. The UK Government is increasing NHS spending above inflation projections for every year of this parliament. Spending is going up. This resorts in Barnett consequentials, giving even more money to the Scottish Government - which they had to be shamed into spending on health.

Yes, the Scottish Government gets a block grant from the UK Government (hence Independence for full fiscal autonomy), but it is the Scottish Government that decides what it spends that money on.
Original post by L i b
It's got nothing to do with "work", it's residency based alone. It will also apply to everyone resident in any other EU country - aside, it seems, from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. That's why it's discriminatory. Absurdly so, in fact.

As I said, people who "live and work" in Scotland are getting it free. Those who don't have to pay. Why should we hand out free tuition fees to people who don't live and work here?
Original post by Good bloke

"From GERS we know that in 2010-11 the total budget attributed to Scotland by Westminster (ie both the Scottish block grant and the money spent by London “on Scotland’s behalf”) was just under £64 billion, including all debt repayment and other costs. The total tax revenue raised in Scotland over the same period when a geographical share of North Sea revenue is included was £53 billion, which left Scotland with an estimated net fiscal balance deficit of £10.7 billion (or 7.4% of GDP).

In 2010-11, the equivalent UK position including 100 per cent of North Sea revenue was a deficit of £136 billion (or 9.2% of GDP). This means that Scotland pays for itself better than the UK as a whole.

But it has an extra burden to carry too. Scotland was allocated a share of that UK deficit, which was added to the nation’s debt balance, on a per-capita basis rather than being related to Scotland’s own finances. The per-capita share amounted to £11.4 billion, whereas as we’ve seen the actual Scottish deficit was £10.7 billion. In other words, £730 million that was not spent by or on Scotland has been added to our share of the UK’s crippling debt, in just one year.

This is an invisible annual subsidy by Scotland to the rest of the UK. It’s a bit like going out to lunch with your friend and getting a £9 main course, while your friend gets one that costs £11. When the bill comes your friend insists you split the bill at £10 each, thereby charging YOU £1 for the meal THEY ate." - Link

"Scotland paid £27bn more than was received in public spending, they suggest that the actual figure was nearer to £31bn" - Link

This is also a good read. Notice how everything is kept on the hush hush?? Scotland could have been as prosperous as Switzerland
Reply 4839
As I said, people who "live and work" in Scotland are getting it free. Those who don't have to pay. Why should we hand out free tuition fees to people who don't live and work here?

Er, we do, that's EU law. And as for your "live and work" thing, that is factually wrong - it has nothing to do with working status.

What the Scottish Government wants to do is uniquely discriminate against students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Our closest neighbours. A Bulgarian or Maltese student would be entitled to free tuition in Scotland, not not one from across the North Channel in Larne.

Yes, the Scottish Government gets a block grant from the UK Government (hence Independence for full fiscal autonomy), but it is the Scottish Government that decides what it spends that money on.

So you now admit you were wrong to suggest the level of public spending had anything whatsoever to do with the Scottish Government?

Latest

Trending

Trending