The Student Room Group

The Biggest Turn Ons In A Person is Physical attractiveness? Shallow much?

Faith in humanity -1. :frown: Do you agree that Physical Attractiveness is the #1 turn on? Why have the majority of the people voted it as the #1 turn on?:
Top Biggest Turn Ons in a Person

I'm surprised "intelligence" wasn't #1.

For me in order:
Intelligence
Sense of Humor
Kind Heartedness
Lovingness
Attractive

What turns you on in a person?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't get attracted by how many light bulbs a person can screw.
Reply 2
Original post by JindleBrey
I don't get attracted by how many light bulbs a person can screw.

But you do get attracted to someone attractive you can screw right?:tongue:
Reply 3
I don't believe it's the number one turn on, however in most cases you're not immediately attracted to someone because of their intelligence/personality. You see them first, so surely physical attractiveness would be the immediate turn on. Though yes, overall I value the other qualities higher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Precious Illusions
You see them first, so surely physical attractiveness would be the immediate turn on. Though yes, overall I value the other qualities higher.

This. You can't see if someone's intelligent or funny, but you can see if someone's physically attractive.
To me, physical attractiveness can make a short-term impact on you, but if the person's quite shallow, or has a bad personality, then you don't feel attracted to them anymore. On the flip side, girls who have nice personalities and are great to hang around with can grow on you, even if you didn't immediately notice me.
Reply 6
I think in the beginning it is often about physical attractiveness. Especially when you go clubbing or so, you are blanking out intelligence and lovingness mostly. But I agree that when you know someone better, there are different things that makes you feel attracted. However I am honest enough to say that I will never date someone I find ugly, even if she is really nice. But the attraction has to be there, and if i feel not only a little bit physically attracted, there is no chance.
Lets assume you are in a group with several friends/girls, all relatively ok-good looking.
What is most important to me here is:
-humour - once some physical attractiveness is there, this plays a huge role, if i want to further meet her
-intelligence - kind of goes with humour often, intelligent girls can have great humour because they make intelligent jokes
-the non agreeing ( this is very vital and may not often be said: I just feel very attracted to someone, who is not agreeing to everything I say, who is challenging what I say, who makes fun a little bit about some things I say) -> There has to be a balance though, if someone constantly disagrees, that wouldn't make things work. I think this thing happens for both genders. Its like flirting, you are kind of making yourself interested.
For example I know someone, who has/had a crush on me, and she is really nice, not bad looking, but whatever I say, she just always says yes and is so lovely and agrees to everything I say. Even though she is super nice, there is no real attractiveness there.
-physical appearance(has to kind of fit into my type - not too fat, not too small)
-smile - very important, a cute smile is sooo much - makes me wanna kiss them directly
Reply 7
Original post by Precious Illusions
I don't believe it's the number one turn on, however in most cases you're not immediately attracted to someone because of their intelligence/personality. You see them first, so surely physical attractiveness would be the immediate turn on. Though yes, overall I value the other qualities higher.

This is why Muslims like the burka I guess?
Reply 8
It's the truth. Physical appearance is the first thing you see before even knowing someone. If they're over-weight and spotty, chances are you're not going to find them attractive and already form ideas in your head about what they're like, thus feel "turned off".
In my past experience I've always got to know and love the person then evaluate their appearance, this applies with friends etc..
Reply 10
Quelle surprise.
Oh be quiet with the faith in humanity lost bull****. As if you've wanted to bang someone because they got far ahead in trivial pursuit.
Reply 12
Why do women see the need to lie about this all the time? There is nothing wrong with being endeared towards someone based on their physical appearance. We all do it. There's no shame. It isn't a negative reflection on humanity. Why is it not just as low to dismiss someone based on their intellect??
Reply 13
Original post by Jjj90
Why do women see the need to lie about this all the time? There is nothing wrong with being endeared towards someone based on their physical appearance. We all do it. There's no shame. It isn't a negative reflection on humanity. Why is it not just as low to dismiss someone based on their intellect??

Because there are less intellects in this world? Wouldn't that make them much more endearing?
Reply 14
Relationships have a core physical element, so it stands to reason physical attractiveness is important.

All the qualities you mention are key (well, personality/intelligence etc), and endear you to a person as well as allowing you to build a relationship, but without some physical attraction it would be a platonic friendship.
Reply 15
Original post by cavemanit
Because there are less intellects in this world? Wouldn't that make them much more endearing?

Probably but it's no less shallow. Nothing wrong with shallow.
Reply 16
Original post by zjs
Relationships have a core physical element, so it stands to reason physical attractiveness is important.

All the qualities you mention are key (well, personality/intelligence etc), and endear you to a person as well as allowing you to build a relationship, but without some physical attraction it would be a platonic friendship.

I just had a dream about The Wire, Lamar didn't feature :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by Jjj90
Probably but it's no less shallow. Nothing wrong with shallow.

It's less shallow because it's harder to achieve.
Reply 18
Original post by cavemanit
It's less shallow because it's harder to achieve.

Doesn't that make it more shallow?
Personally don't see how it's at all shallow or something to be frowned upon if looks are your biggest turn on.

If looks are what turns you on about a person, fine. If it's something else, be that personality, intelligence or whatever that's fine too. I don't see why one is 'good', the other 'bad', or 'shallow'.

Surely it's personal choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending