The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone seen the latest SAO special?

Have just downloaded with the intent to watch it tomorrow morning. =l
Ok, even though I said I would watch it tomorrow, I JUST finished it (skipped the whole memory rubbish, literally the exact same stuff as the SAO episodes...)

The last 8 seconds of it give you a small (SMALL) glimpse to the next series.
Even though you knew it was bound to happen half way through. =l

Best bit is in the last 20 mins or so though IMO.

Rating - 6.5/10
Reply 6262
Original post by AngryJellyfish
My initial reaction to Hajime was similar, but there's definitely more to her than the usual genki girl anime trope. :yes: Definitely one of the most memorable protagonists of the year for me. :biggrin:

Yup, definitely. It's difficult not to remember her. :giggle:

Original post by SyedaK
What do you guys think of NoruGami?

I haven't read the manga, but I'm looking forward to the anime adaptation. :yes:

Original post by Scienceisgood
Ok, even though I said I would watch it tomorrow, I JUST finished it (skipped the whole memory rubbish, literally the exact same stuff as the SAO episodes...)

The last 8 seconds of it give you a small (SMALL) glimpse to the next series.
Even though you knew it was bound to happen half way through. =l

Best bit is in the last 20 mins or so though IMO.

Rating - 6.5/10

Essentially a recap of sorts then? I was thinking of revisiting SAO at some point, so maybe this special will suffice. :tongue:
Reply 6263

This is definitely going to be the dandiest series of the season. :awesome: :tongue:
Original post by Aiko

This is definitely going to be the dandiest series of the season. :awesome: :tongue:

:hmmmm2:

:zomg:

BRB, I've got a competition to win.
Anyone seen the special of SAO yet?
If so, what did you think of it?
Reply 6266
:hmmmm2:

:zomg:

BRB, I've got a competition to win.

Aha, I didn't see this post! :laugh: When posting this, I did think of the identify thread. :tongue:
Reply 6267
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anyone seen the special of SAO yet?
If so, what did you think of it?

Will watch it tonight and relay my thoughts after. :yes:
Don't think I've mentioned this on TSR before, but this year I'm not starting any new manga series unless they're on my Kindle, as I'm out of space for physical books. :o: I'll be continuing with the series I've already started, of course, but that shouldn't be many since I'm up to date with the English releases of them all - maybe one or two newly published volumes a month on average, as opposed to the one or two a week and a huge splurge on payday that was previously the norm. :p:

Aside from a few oneshots that I read to get a feel for the device, my first full length manga series for Kindle will be 'Give My Regards to Black Jack'. Which is easily worthy of a 5/5 rating based on the first volume alone, and I've got a further 12 to look forward to. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6269
Original post by Aiko

I am stupidly excited about this show - all attempts to resist the hype were pretty pointless!
Reply 6270
Don't think I've mentioned this on TSR before, but this year I'm not starting any new manga series unless they're on my Kindle, as I'm out of space for physical books. :o: I'll be continuing with the series I've already started, of course, but that shouldn't be many since I'm up to date with the English releases of them all - maybe one or two newly published volumes a month on average, as opposed to the one or two a week and a huge splurge on payday that was previously the norm. :p:

Aside from a few oneshots that I read to get a feel for the device, my first full length manga series for Kindle will be 'Give My Regards to Black Jack'. Which is easily worthy of a 5/5 rating based on the first volume alone, and I've got a further 12 to look forward to. :biggrin:

Out of space? Impressive. :tongue: But yeah, reading manga digitally is definitely the way forward. Although I can appreciate that there's something to be said of having a shelf with your entire collection. That, and swiping doesn't come close to turning the page. :no:

Original post by caraniel
I am stupidly excited about this show - all attempts to resist the hype were pretty pointless!

Likewise, I've already fallen in love with the PV. I think I've watched it a dozen times already! :giggle: That aside, let's face it, you can't really go wrong with Watanabe and Bones. That's a winning formula right there. :yes:

Photo or it never happened... :unimpressed:
Original post by Aiko
Out of space? Impressive. :tongue: But yeah, reading manga digitally is definitely the way forward. Although I can appreciate that there's something to be said of having a shelf with your entire collection. That, and swiping doesn't come close to turning the page. :no:

More or less. :p: There's gaps here and there, but certainly not enough room for another new series. :no: I really like reading manga on my Kindle though, so the change to digital should be easier than I was anticipating. :smile:
Reply 6273
Well, I've finished watching the SAO Extra Edition episode. It was nice to revisit the anime again without having to re-watch the entire thing and the narration/thoughts from the characters was good. As for the original content, the mini quest at the end was nice enough, but nothing that would push the main plot forward to suggest that there's going to be a continuation. Still, the fact that such an episode was created, would suggest that a sequel could happen. Like a primer for us fans.

On a related note, given that I'm watching Log Horizon at the moment, it was interesting to draw more direct comparisons from watching this.

Spoiler

That's funny because shortly after finishing SAO I stumbled upon Log Horizon and even I started comparing the two... Haven't seen accel world though, will give that a go as well.
Reply 6275
Original post by Aiko
Well, I've finished watching the SAO Extra Edition episode. It was nice to revisit the anime again without having to re-watch the entire thing and the narration/thoughts from the characters was good. As for the original content, the mini quest at the end was nice enough, but nothing that would push the main plot forward to suggest that there's going to be a continuation. Still, the fact that such an episode was created, would suggest that a sequel could happen. Like a primer for us fans.

Sequel to SAO was announced the other day http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-31/sword-art-online-ii-1st-promo-main-cast-staff-revealed

Can't say I'm excited, didn't much enjoy SAO.
Reply 6276
Original post by GalaxygunnerX
That's funny because shortly after finishing SAO I stumbled upon Log Horizon and even I started comparing the two... Haven't seen accel world though, will give that a go as well.

Yeah, I'd recommend Accel World. Even though I personally preferred SAO, you can tell that Kawahara's writing had improved. Accel World felt more considered and complete.

Sequel to SAO was announced the other day http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-31/sword-art-online-ii-1st-promo-main-cast-staff-revealed

Can't say I'm excited, didn't much enjoy SAO.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. :smile:

Edit: And you didn't? Curiously, why not? I found it reasonably enjoyable to watch, despite its flaws. It was easily one of my most anticipated series to watch each week when it was airing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6277
Original post by Aiko

Ah, thanks for the heads up. :smile:

Edit: And you didn't? Curiously, why not? I found it reasonably enjoyable to watch, despite its flaws. It was easily one of my most anticipated series to watch each week when it was airing.

I enjoyed the 1st half, but the 2nd half just felt like subpar fanfiction to me.......also can't profess to be a massive fan of the characters. I did attempt the light novels to see if they were any better - didn't get very far!

SAO is a pretty show - production values are top notch anyway, but the writing just didn't match up for me. Doesn't help that I am in no way a gamer so much of it bored me. Same with Accel World actually - dropped that extremely quickly since I thought the characters were even duller than the SAO ones!

My New Years resolution is to stop watching sequels to shows I struggled to finish, was mainly triggered by the announcement of an SAO S2.....I just don't want to bother going there again.
Reply 6278
I enjoyed the 1st half, but the 2nd half just felt like subpar fanfiction to me.......also can't profess to be a massive fan of the characters. I did attempt the light novels to see if they were any better - didn't get very far!

SAO is a pretty show - production values are top notch anyway, but the writing just didn't match up for me. Doesn't help that I am in no way a gamer so much of it bored me. Same with Accel World actually - dropped that extremely quickly since I thought the characters were even duller than the SAO ones!

My New Years resolution is to stop watching sequels to shows I struggled to finish, was mainly triggered by the announcement of an SAO S2.....I just don't want to bother going there again.

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. On my part...

Spoiler

Ultimately, I think SAO could have been brilliant, given its premise, but its execution, and I'm referring more to Kawahara's storytelling here, could have been better. Still, it clearly has done something right to warrant its popularity and upcoming sequel.
Reply 6279
Gatchaman Crowds is such a bizarre anime. A twisted take on the ever popular superhero genre. The plot has direction of sorts, but equally, it's difficult to tell where they're planning to take this. Still, it's a very stylish anime. The female protagonist and the current antagonist are both insane, but in a good way. :tongue:

Spoiler

Edit:

Although, what a disappointing ending. It felt terribly rushed. It was almost as if the writers had intended this to be two seasons, but were then instructed to end it in one at short notice. Shame, the series had potential, but the abrupt ending has prohibited this. Nonetheless, was a fun anime to watch. Nothing too special, but certainly worth watching. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)