The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hi everyone, I have an interview for Essex in January. Has anyone else heard back from them yet? Any ideas on what to expect in the interview, I wondered if anyone had had an interview there before? It starts at 9 and they say it finishes at approximately 5! I imagine part of it will be a group interview. I'm also still waiting to hear back from city. Good luck to everyone :smile:
City don't interview but says we will find out by 7th feb x

Posted from TSR Mobile
City don't interview but says we will find out by 7th feb x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Original post by Laice
Mine is on January 27 with Sheffield & January 29 with Essex anyone else on the same day(s)? Neither uni gives anything away about the format of their interviews, huh!

Hi Laice, my interview is on the 23rd with Essex. Good luck!
I've got an interview for Sheffield on the 14th of January yay :smile: I know, it doesn't give any clue as to what to expect from the interview, unsure on how to prepare for it! They seem to be spread out too xx
Reply 245
Congrats everyone on your interviews! Excited but so nervous. Best of luck to you all xx
Hi everyone,
I'm probably late but was wondering what the general deadline for speech and language postgrad applications was for 2014 entry? Do u know if any unis are still taking applications?
Any info would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 247
Hi Holly,

All the deadlines for Sept 2014 courses have now passed, I think Greenwich is a January 2015 start and therefore the application deadline is around June 2014 (but I'm not really sure on any of the details as I haven't myself looked into applying to Greenwich). Sorry.

Alex
Hi Alex thanks for your reply!
Could u tell me roughly when applications would open for 2015 entry and when they would close? Just so I have an idea :smile:
Thank you,
Holly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249
Hi Holly,

It varies for each university but is usually around Sept/Oct to mid Nov/early Dec for SLT (which is earlier than most postgraduate courses, due to its popularity).

Alex
Hey there,
I got a very good book recently called Speech and language therapy the decision-making process when working with children and it's edited by Myra kersner and Janet a. Wright. Obviously it's more geared towards the child side of assessment but you can adapt its suggestions of course.

It covers everything from the decision making process to developing as a SLT to the assessment and signs and symptoms of many disorders and how to deal with them. I'm finding it very informative and quite an easy read.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the video part but I think it could be a good way to show what you really know and how you adapt to situations so here's hoping!
Hey there Holpol87
I read your earlier post and I just wanted to extend some encouragement to you also. You experience sounds fantastic and you should be so proud of what you have done and what you are continuing to do in pursuit of the carter. It really is such a difficult course to get into and I think a lot of people can get disheartened from time to time but remember that it will come to you.

I know the application processes are so long and gruelling but I think in the end that it will be worth it for most of us. Hopefully you get City as you sound like you have so much experience, a great work ethic and an amazing passion. It is because of all those traits that I'd encourage you not to give up this year if you don't get somewhere. The SLT I shadowed said it took her 2 goes to get into the course in Limerick and when she told me all the experience she had behind her first time around I couldn't believe it.

This is my second time around to apply and believe me by the end of the applications I was so fed up and saying to myself if I don't get somewhere this year then I'm done but then I sat down and thought about it and I really can't imagine myself doing anything else. I got rejected from both places I applied to last year without even gaining an interview and one place told me it was because my work experience wasn't broad enough and the other told me it was because my degree wasn't good enough. So I broadened my horizons this year and applied for more courses and underwent more experience. So far I have gotten 2 rejections, 1 because I don't have enough work with adults and the other because my degree isn't good enough. The colleges want so many different things. I have an interview with UCL and am waiting on word back from 3 more. I was annoyed about the rejections but the fact that one place is willing to interview me has made me feel better because it proves that I have come even that little bit further than I did lasted and I'm a little closer. Be proud that you got an a waiting list and that they saw that you have strong attributes to consider you and please don't give up on that dream you have.

You should always be proud of what you have achieved and it sounds like you have achieved a lot and are a very kind soul. You will undoubtedly make a great SLT so hold onto that always. Please let me know how City goes and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Chin up.
Lauren xx
Reply 252
Hi guys, I just had a thought and wanted to confirm with you all. For the City Application, did you all receive a confirmation email that said something along the lines of " We have received your application and is now being processed..".. Because i never got an email like that, just the automated email saying that the application will only be processed if you have included all the correct documents etc..
Reply 253
Original post by SALT2014
Hi guys, I just had a thought and wanted to confirm with you all. For the City Application, did you all receive a confirmation email that said something along the lines of " We have received your application and is now being processed..".. Because i never got an email like that, just the automated email saying that the application will only be processed if you have included all the correct documents etc..

Same here. I got the automated email and as the deadline for references approached I got an email reminding me that one reference was outstanding. But nothing to confirm the application was complete and being processed.

Looking back to last year's thread, it seems people had the same experience then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 254
Original post by Katehb
Same here. I got the automated email and as the deadline for references approached I got an email reminding me that one reference was outstanding. But nothing to confirm the application was complete and being processed.

Looking back to last year's thread, it seems people had the same experience then...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good, was getting a little worried. I never even considered that it might have been a problem until this morning. I think the stress of waiting is getting to me a bit! haha. Should be fine then, thanks :smile:
Reply 255
Original post by SALT2014
Oh good, was getting a little worried. I never even considered that it might have been a problem until this morning. I think the stress of waiting is getting to me a bit! haha. Should be fine then, thanks :smile:

The stress of waiting - tell me about it!! I keep checking my email. Even though it's Saturday. Bonkers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Hey everyone,
I've only just seen this - its been so helpful! I've applied to Reading, UCL and City, found out I've got an interview with UCL on the 22nd but haven't heard back from the others! I was just wondering if anyone knew if City do interviews or just an email reply? Also you guys are right about the stress of waiting - I can't stop checking my emails! xx
Reply 257
Original post by JoLal
Hey everyone,
I've only just seen this - its been so helpful! I've applied to Reading, UCL and City, found out I've got an interview with UCL on the 22nd but haven't heard back from the others! I was just wondering if anyone knew if City do interviews or just an email reply? Also you guys are right about the stress of waiting - I can't stop checking my emails! xx

Hi there! City don't interview. It's just a straight yes/no by (I think) Feb 7th.

Congrats on the UCL interview! I'm there on the 22nd too. Thrilled to have an interview but really nervous too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by Katehb
Hi there! City don't interview. It's just a straight yes/no by (I think) Feb 7th.

Congrats on the UCL interview! I'm there on the 22nd too. Thrilled to have an interview but really nervous too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm on the 22nd too - eek! Do you guys have any idea of what the interview will be like?
Reply 259
Thanks! That's so scary I think waiting for a reply but hopefully everyone will be fine! I'm not too sure about the interview, I reckon they show you video like they said in the email and then maybe we discuss it in the interview?! I get so nervous in interviews though! What prep do you think you guys will do? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest