University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by 0xygen
Ofcourse I'm not going to say that to their face...

I'm basing most of my knowledge on the CompSci course, they are ranked 16th (I think) to 23rd but their CS course doesn't include advanced modules.

I'm taking first year Biological Sciences, and I can confirm that those modules are far more than basic in the amount that we have to know and be able to apply. They go way beyond the necessities in providing 6 hours of practical time a week, and are always really supportive when you need help, as well. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I got ABC in my A levels as opposed to my ABB offer, so if you drop a grade then you'll probably be okay as long as you look promising.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1101
Original post by Chiriel
I'm taking first year Biological Sciences, and I can confirm that those modules are far more than basic in the amount that we have to know and be able to apply. They go way beyond the necessities in providing 6 hours of practical time a week, and are always really supportive when you need help, as well. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I got ABC in my A levels as opposed to my ABB offer, so if you drop a grade then you'll probably be okay as long as you look promising.

Really? Sounds pretty good. Do you know if Leicester has any good "links" with industries and firms? They don't really mention and brag about them like other universities. E.G. On the QMUL website they always talk about their graduate students now working with "linked industries" such as IBM etc..
Reply 1102
Original post by 0xygen
Really? Sounds pretty good. Do you know if Leicester has any good "links" with industries and firms? They don't really mention and brag about them like other universities. E.G. On the QMUL website they always talk about their graduate students now working with "linked industries" such as IBM etc..

I've never asked, but I've talked to some second years who said that the university was really helpful in helping them get a year in industry for their third year, for example. Either way, I think Leicester is the best place I could have gone, and in the end university choices are less about ranking and league tables and more about whether you're enthusiastic about the course and feel comfortable with the atmosphere of the university as a whole.
Reply 1103
Original post by Chiriel
I've never asked, but I've talked to some second years who said that the university was really helpful in helping them get a year in industry for their third year, for example. Either way, I think Leicester is the best place I could have gone, and in the end university choices are less about ranking and league tables and more about whether you're enthusiastic about the course and feel comfortable with the atmosphere of the university as a whole.

Sounds pretty cool, but most of Leicester's links are in Leicester / around Leicester. A uni of London will have links in / around London.. I need to ask Leicester if they have links in London..
Original post by 0xygen
Hey Sammy (Guessing that's your name), how long do "Open Days" or UCAS applicant days usually last? Need to book a train ticket.
They said that it starts at 9:30 I think... I need to book a return ticket.

Can't you get an open return? You could always just stay the whole day - go and see the city? Take someone with you and have dinner?
Reply 1105
Original post by Sammydemon
Can't you get an open return? You could always just stay the whole day - go and see the city? Take someone with you and have dinner?

I'm looking for the cheapest option, which in this my case is £30.

An open return is around £70 from London, x2 people = £140.. Can go to Paris with that :tongue:
Original post by 0xygen
I'm looking for the cheapest option, which in this my case is £30.

An open return is around £70 from London, x2 people = £140.. Can go to Paris with that :tongue:

Weird, try looking at 2x singles. I can get to St. Pancras from Leicester and back for £10-£20 each way.
Reply 1107
Weird, try looking at 2x singles. I can get to St. Pancras from Leicester and back for £10-£20 each way.

I tried, it's impossible
Reply 1108

I tried, it's impossible
Original post by 0xygen
I tried, it's impossible

Then just go by yourself and spend the whole day :biggrin: When is the open day?
Reply 1110
Then just go by yourself and spend the whole day :biggrin: When is the open day?

Paid £39, its cheaper when you book 1 month in advance + when you select the exact times. I'm going to the CompSci applicant day, so that's on the 15th of Feb.

I'm going to be staying there till like 5:50pm.. Won't be able to visit the actual city center as it would take me too long to get there:frown:
Original post by 0xygen
Paid £39, its cheaper when you book 1 month in advance + when you select the exact times. I'm going to the CompSci applicant day, so that's on the 15th of Feb.

I'm going to be staying there till like 5:50pm.. Won't be able to visit the actual city center as it would take me too long to get there:frown:

What time does the open day event actually finish? You ought to try to find time to see the city centre, it's only 5-10 minutes of walking from the railway station.
Reply 1112
What time does the open day event actually finish? You ought to try to find time to see the city centre, it's only 5-10 minutes of walking from the railway station.

It finishes around 4:30, but we will be at the accommodation area, so will probably get to the station at around 5:10pm... Then wait 40 mins for my train lol
Original post by 0xygen
It finishes around 4:30, but we will be at the accommodation area, so will probably get to the station at around 5:10pm... Then wait 40 mins for my train lol

It's a shame you couldn't get a later train, do you arrive much before the start? You could still see the city centre in 40 mins... It's a city of 300,000 people :wink:
Reply 1114
It's a shame you couldn't get a later train, do you arrive much before the start? You could still see the city centre in 40 mins... It's a city of 300,000 people :wink:

Is there anything to really see? I live in a busy city so I guess I've seen everything there is to see :tongue:

Where are the places in the city that people actually visit? I'll Google map them :biggrin:
Original post by 0xygen
Is there anything to really see? I live in a busy city so I guess I've seen everything there is to see :tongue:

Where are the places in the city that people actually visit? I'll Google map them :biggrin:

Well, they aren't all the same and Leicester is far from a pretty city. There are some interesting things to see but it would mostly be to just get a feel for the place.
Reply 1116
Well, they aren't all the same and Leicester is far from a pretty city. There are some interesting things to see but it would mostly be to just get a feel for the place.

Is it bad? I mean do students even bother travelling 40 minutes to go to the city centre?
Original post by 0xygen
Is it bad? I mean do students even bother travelling 40 minutes to go to the city centre?

It's not really "bad" in my opinion, however that's irrelevant, you should see it for yourself. Students are always going to the city centre for nights out, shopping and entertainment. You can get a bus there or cycle even from Oadby in less than 40 mins. I'm not sure where you got 40 minutes from.

Do you think students just stay in their rooms all the time?
Reply 1118
It's not really "bad" in my opinion, however that's irrelevant, you should see it for yourself. Students are always going to the city centre for nights out, shopping and entertainment. You can get a bus there or cycle even from Oadby in less than 40 mins. I'm not sure where you got 40 minutes from.

Do you think students just stay in their rooms all the time?

Oh thought you meant that it takes 40 mins to get to the city centre when you said "It takes about 40 mins to see the city centre". Also, I thought that students usually go to the O2 centre that's on campus. Didn't know that they go to actually city.
Original post by 0xygen
Oh thought you meant that it takes 40 mins to get to the city centre when you said "It takes about 40 mins to see the city centre". Also, I thought that students usually go to the O2 centre that's on campus. Didn't know that they go to actually city.

I think I have been to the O2/union (I was there before it became O2) twice in 5 years. There are loads of pubs/bars/nighclubs in town. I suppose the union is good for hanging with students only but it's just a noisy nighclub most nights unless there's a good band on.

Also, it takes about 15 mins to get to the city centre from the uni and around 5 from the station.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending