The Student Room Group

The Economics A-Level thread

We don't have one so I thought I'd make one.

We can post any questions/etc we have.

I'm currently doing AS on Edexcel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We have some dodgy teachers in our school :frown:
Original post by Kosovaa
We have some dodgy teachers in our school :frown:

My teacher is THE WORST.

I'm literally self teaching myself the entire subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Speak to the faculty staff.... Solved my issue! Although they do host workshops after classes and through 1-2pm. Maybe a suggestion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also too self-teaching myself A2, I got A at AS. My teacher's cant explain fml. I'm struggling with Labour/Wage graph though, I seem not to understand how to show a monopoly which can charge at lower wage, with lower output, because I dont understand the MRP / Labour Supply with MC and it just confuses me to the max
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I am also too self-teaching myself A2, I got A at AS. My teacher's cant explain fml. I'm struggling with Labour/Wage graph though, I seem not to understand how to show a monopoly which can charge at lower wage, with lower output, because I dont understand the MRP / Labour Supply with MC and it just confuses me to the max

What board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Check out pajholden on youtube, he makes alevel econ videos- he explains concepts/diagrams really well. :smile:
Reply 8
http://www.dbseconomics.blogspot.ae/

My teacher runs this, doesn't normally help with theoretical parts of the course but it is great at giving examples that are relevant and helps with answering the non-multiple choice questions. Great for AO2, plus it goes back to 2009 so just type in 'Monopoly' for e.g. and it comes up with a bunch of stuff. Also check out the tutor2you(?) blog, which helped me massively last year for theory in unit 2 :smile:
Reply 9
I'm doing AQA AS economics, but if you buy the revision guide on Amazon (for about £9 for all exam boards) it explains itself really well and great for self teaching!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
What board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA
Opportunity cost m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
We don't have one so I thought I'd make one.

We can post any questions/etc we have.

I'm currently doing AS on Edexcel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, just noticed this thread, currently doing A2 Economics also under Edexcel :smile:, did alright at AS so I'd be happy to help out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
How are my fellow A level Economists faring so far into the year? How much (or how little!) revision has everyone done so far?

I'm currently studying for AS with AQA. Here's a post I posted in the main sub-forum, hope it's useful:

Original post by NikolaT
Whilst I haven't gotten my A in AS yet (:crossedf:) these resources have helped me so far:

Tutor2u is an invaluable source for anything - revision notes, presentations, real life examples, etc.

EconomicsHelp similarly has fantastic articles.

Reading BBC News -> Business -> Economy regularly (for me, everyday) is probably a must at both AS and A2 - it helps put macro as well as some micro into context, and can provide relevant real world data to use.

Anyone else have any tips?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Hey, just noticed this thread, currently doing A2 Economics also under Edexcel :smile:, did alright at AS so I'd be happy to help out.

Sorry just read your reply!
Thank you :smile:
Do you have any typed resources by any chance? I'm literally self teaching and it's not going well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NikolaT
How are my fellow A level Economists faring so far into the year? How much (or how little!) revision has everyone done so far?

I'm currently studying for AS with AQA. Here's a post I posted in the main sub-forum, hope it's useful:

Brilliant! Thankd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Brilliant! Thankd

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heh, and I thought being a classicist-economist made me unique. :tongue: Still taking Greek, right? Or am I mis-remembering?

Are you actually self-teaching or virtually, due to bad teacher(s)?
Original post by NikolaT
Heh, and I thought being a classicist-economist made me unique. :tongue: Still taking Greek, right? Or am I mis-remembering?

Are you actually self-teaching or virtually, due to bad teacher(s)?

hehe! Yup, still taking Greek!
Not taking Classics though :frown: I decided I really regretted not taking History at GCSE and wanted to for AS.
Taking: Politics, ICT, Economics & History

Virtually, due to bad teachers. - but bad as in REALLY REALLY bad. She doesn't teach / just talks about Kidneys :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
hehe! Yup, still taking Greek!
Not taking Classics though :frown: I decided I really regretted not taking History at GCSE and wanted to for AS.
Taking: Politics, ICT, Economics & History

Virtually, due to bad teachers. - but bad as in REALLY REALLY bad. She doesn't teach / just talks about Kidneys :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, some heavy subjects there, info-wise. I'm kinda confused as to how you're taking Greek, I thought you were taking it for AS?

I'm taking Politics too. I guess this means we can be study buddies. :wink:

And ouch, I feel sorry for you. My macro teacher sometimes rambles on about his wealth and richness, and how he charges insane prices for tutoring because he's 'just that good' but he's alright really. :tongue: Micro teacher is great. I still sometimes find it difficult to wrap my head around some things though. Can't imagine how you're surviving so far.

So, kidneys. That's... not random. XD
It mad how many people have awful teacher for economics. My Macro teacher awful but my micro teacher is amazing so i suppose it can of evens out. If done pretty much do revision yet though but did do so of the multiple choice questions the other day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending