The Student Room Group

Legalisation of prostitution: Yes or No? And Why?

For the sake of this debate thingy, we are going to assume we are talking about 'consensual prostitution'.

Pros:
- Victimless crime
- Prevents them being done underground, and more safer working environments would be created
- Oldest profession
- No longer oppression of women, possibly liberating
- Prevents spread of HIV/AIDs, as everyone would be screened
- It's their own body and thus, their own choice
- Its just another form of labour

Cons
- Promotes the view that sex is a commodity
- Will increase the no. of drug addicts (people may become prostitutes to fund their drug habits)
- Devalues sex, as it would be viewed as a job and can be bought, sold or traded
- Unable to punish the people that forces prostitution
- Screening everyone is not practical, possibly expensive and waste of resources
- Going by the idea 'their body, their choice', then we should legalise all drugs?
- Just because it is the oldest, doesn't mean its the most moral
- Sexually objectifies women and men
- Could be argued that there are victims
- Damages the prostitutes emotionally, mentally and psychologically
- Most prostitutes may be (not physically) forced into prostitution due to circumstances

I have found these from several websites, please don't get annoyed with me when I cant explain why they are a pro or a con.

So, do you think we should legalise prostitution? Yes or No? And Why?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can someone move this to society?
Reply 2
No: go look at Germany!
Original post by Wattsy
No: go look at Germany!

What is your reasoning and please expand on Germany?
:bump:
Reply 5
Original post by nivvy21

The political parties there are saying its got well out of hand with £100 all you can shag offers being commonplace in brothels as well as exploitation. Its more the exploitation that I'm thinking about though, its almost impossible to fully regulate that kind of business, we suffer enough human trafficking before we open these floodgates too. Prosititution isn't usually like Secret Diary of a Call Girl, its more like that Channel 4 documentary if you've seen that. Legalisation and regulation can't help that sort of situation.
Reply 6
'Going by the idea 'their body, their choice', then we should legalise all drugs?' Yes, anyone with common sense knows we should legalise drugs.
In the end I think legalising prostitution would be more beneficial than not. It would make the lifestyle safer for those in that situation and hopefully decrease the criminal element.

You can't get rid of prostitution anyway. You can make it illegal but you can't get rid of it. If you drive it undergound then the women caught up in it are hidden even deeper from healthcare, professional help and are more at the mercy of criminals.

Make it legal, safe and taxable

Original post by nivvy21

Do you know what happened last time they tried to expand on Germany?
Yes sure, why not. How much!?
Reply 9
Legalising prostitution will make it safer for a lot of the women and men who do it, in terms of their sexual and physical health. Also it creates more jobs.
Original post by Wattsy
The political parties there are saying its got well out of hand with £100 all you can shag offers being commonplace in brothels as well as exploitation. Its more the exploitation that I'm thinking about though, its almost impossible to fully regulate that kind of business, we suffer enough human trafficking before we open these floodgates too. Prosititution isn't usually like Secret Diary of a Call Girl, its more like that Channel 4 documentary if you've seen that. Legalisation and regulation can't help that sort of situation.

LOL, £100 all you can shag, sounds like a messed up food ad! Hmm, yes, I agree, but surely, the law would have some kind of regulation and monitoring?

Original post by Jordooooom
'Going by the idea 'their body, their choice', then we should legalise all drugs?' Yes, anyone with common sense knows we should legalise drugs.
In the end I think legalising prostitution would be more beneficial than not. It would make the lifestyle safer for those in that situation and hopefully decrease the criminal element.

You can't get rid of prostitution anyway. You can make it illegal but you can't get rid of it. If you drive it undergound then the women caught up in it are hidden even deeper from healthcare, professional help and are more at the mercy of criminals.

Make it legal, safe and taxable

I agree. But, what do you say to others who say you simply cannot regulate it?

Original post by Scorlibran
Do you know what happened last time they tried to expand on Germany?

Assuming that is an innuendo of some sort, what happened?

Original post by Bill_Gates
Yes sure, why not. How much!?

How would I know? :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by nivvy21
- Sexually objectifies women

And not men? They can be prostitutes as well.

I am pro-legalisation. It's a job like many others and if carried out responsibly, it doesn't harm anyone.
Reply 12
Original post by nivvy21
LOL, £100 all you can shag, sounds like a messed up food ad! Hmm, yes, I agree, but surely, the law would have some kind of regulation and monitoring?

We could have regulation but we also have regulation on drugs, does it work? Absolutely not. Does Germany's regulation in current form work? Absolutely not. Let them try their new stricter bill out before we jump feet first into this potential disaster.
Reply 13
Original post by nivvy21

- Unable to punish the people that forces prostitution

If anything I think that legalising and properly regulating prostitution would make it easier to punish those sort of people. If brothels had to be licensed and regularly inspected in order to be legal then it would make it much easier to tell apart those which provide a safe environment to practise a legitimate trade and those which are no better than slave dens. The police would be able to focus on cracking down on places where harm is actually being done.
Original post by Ivanka
And not men? They can be prostitutes as well.

I am pro-legalisation. It's a job like many others and if carried out responsibly, it doesn't harm anyone.

Yes, I shall amend my OP. And agreed, but surely: it could potentially physically, emotionally, mentally, psychological harm the prozzies?

Original post by Wattsy
We could have regulation but we also have regulation on drugs, does it work? Absolutely not. Does Germany's regulation in current form work? Absolutely not. Let them try their new stricter bill out before we jump feet first into this potential disaster.

Hmm, ok, understood.
Reply 15
This should really be a decision left to prostitutes. None of us have experienced their lifestyle to say whether we should legalize it or not. I suggest a hooker referendum.
Reply 16
This is only a moral problem, all over cons are bull****. Its the same with drugs. Its a moral problem regarding whether we want to live in a society where its o-k to buy sex and score coke at tescos.
Original post by nivvy21
Assuming that is an innuendo of some sort, what happened?

It was a WWII reference.
Original post by Scorlibran
It was a WWII reference.

Terrible at history, sorry! :biggrin:
Reply 19
One more point I initially forgot: there are people who would like to have sex, but they don't have a partner to do it with. Not everyone has so much self-esteem to directly ask strangers or friends if they want to have sex with them, and even if they have, they may face rejections. If there is a service offered, it will help these people seeking intercourse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending