The Student Room Group

Help! I've chosen the wrong course - how do I reapply?

Sorry to crash in.
I think i've chosen the wrong course and i'm thinking of reapplying next year for a different course. I've already applied this year for sept 2014.
My question is:
How do i reapply?
When do i reapply?
Who do i go to if i want to reapply?

And one final question:
If i do reapply how would the application process differ?
Will i still get grants?
Do uni look down one those who reapply?(i can't think of any reason why they would )
Original post by hamsa16
Sorry to crash in.
I think i've chosen the wrong course and i'm thinking of reapplying next year for a different course. I've already applied this year for sept 2014.
My question is:
How do i reapply?
When do i reapply?
Who do i go to if i want to reapply?

And one final question:
Will i still get grants?
Do uni look down one those who reapply?(i can't think of any reason why they would )

Hi,

I've split your post into a new thread. It's usually best to start a new thread if you have your own questions - that way you'll get more answers.

However,
How do i reapply? When do i reapply? Who do i go to if i want to reapply?
You cannot completely withdraw your application this year and send in a whole new one. You can, however, use Extra and / or Clearing. That said, not all courses at all unis will be available in Extra and Clearing, plus unis will see your old PS, which will be for an irrelevant subject.

Your best bet may be to take a gap year and reapply this time next year. You do so via UCAS, in exactly the same way as you did this year. Your college will normally still agree to write a reference for you.

It doesn't, though you will have to speak nicely to your college about getting references and applying through them

Will i still get grants?
Yes. Your student finance entitlement won't change.

Do uni look down one those who reapply?
So long as you use your gap year productively, they often see it as an advantage - especially if you've done something relevant to your degree subject.
The other option you have is to ask for a course change at the Unis you originally applied to. You can't change Unis but you can ask to be considered for another course. Check you have the admissions requirement for the new course and email the Admissions Office asap.

PS.Also check out www.notgoingtouni.co.uk You don't have to go to Uni to do Engineering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi,

I've split your post into a new thread. It's usually best to start a new thread if you have your own questions - that way you'll get more answers.

However,
You cannot completely withdraw your application this year and send in a whole new one. You can, however, use Extra and / or Clearing. That said, not all courses at all unis will be available in Extra and Clearing, plus unis will see your old PS, which will be for an irrelevant subject.

Your best bet may be to take a gap year and reapply this time next year. You do so via UCAS, in exactly the same way as you did this year. Your college will normally still agree to write a reference for you.

It doesn't, though you will have to speak nicely to your college about getting references and applying through them

Will i still get grants?

So long as you use your gap year productively, they often see it as an advantage - especially if you've done something relevant to your degree subject.

Thank you for answering my question
The problem is i've already applied to biochemistry and i have 5 conditional offers, to start sept 2014, no defer entry so no gap year?

How can i apply to take a gap year?
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi,

However,

Will i still get grants?

Thank you
I'm also considering pharmacy since it has better job prospect compared to biochemistry and biomedical sciences. Do you think i can could change courses with the uni I've applied to, or go through adjustment for pharmacy later on.
Since they are both similar courses so my ps can be tweaked for pharmacy.
(edited 10 years ago)
You cannot now change your PS.

To ask for a changed course, you just email each University's Admissions Office and ask if this is possible.

Pharmacy is a very competitive course demanding high grades. Its rare for Pharmacy to appear in Clearing. You can only apply for course via Adjustment if you exceed both your Firm and Insurance offers.

Please do not highlight your posts in silly colours or in bold.
Original post by hamsa16
Thank you for answering my question
The problem is i've already applied to biochemistry and i have 5 conditional offers, to start sept 2014, no defer entry so no gap year?

How can i apply to take a gap year?

Hi,

At this stage you'd take a gap year by withdrawing your application and applying again in the autumn. Deferred entry is irrelevant now.

However, I would suggest that before you withdraw you ask the universities if they would change their offer to pharmacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest