The Student Room Group

Primark...advice please

Hey, I got a 3 month temporary contract at Primark in mid October ( the manager said it may turn permanent, but he was very vague).. Next week is my 10 week review and today I was £10 short on my tills .. Do you think this will affect my chances of getting a permanent job?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I worked at Debenhams for over 4 years - imbalances in the till were a regular thing, especially at Christmas.
I would think it depends, they'll take all things into consideration. For instance have you come up short on your tills before? If it was a recurring pattern then obviously it will look like you're stealing/making mistakes.
Reply 3
Did you steal it?
Reply 4
Why does everyone think OP stole it?
Reply 5
Original post by dada55
Why does everyone think OP stole it?

Maybe they have a history of doing such a thing?
Reply 6
Original post by SirLover
Maybe they have a history of doing such a thing?

By the way OP's post is written it seems like it was an one off occurrence and If they need a permanent job, I don't think it is worth risking it for £10.
Reply 7
Its surprisingly easy to be down on a till, primark tills can be just as bad. If its a one off you will be fine.
When I worked there we had someone who lost £240 in one transaction in their probation period but they were kept on (didnt process the transaction correctly).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You should be fine, when I was working there, people were off by like £50; the most they got was a disciplinary
Original post by ForeverDreams
Hey, I got a 3 month temporary contract at Primark in mid October ( the manager said it may turn permanent, but he was very vague).. Next week is my 10 week review and today I was £10 short on my tills .. Do you think this will affect my chances of getting a permanent job?

Yes it's likely to get the job, I was on a 3 month contract and I got the permeant job, make sure ur not late, even though you was £10 short on tills they give u like 1-2 chances until ur kicked out lol
Original post by zahra_d
I hope it wasn't money that was taken by you but since I don't know I won't make that assumption - if it was, then I honestly think you aren't trustworthy enough to work there. If it wasn't however, I'm sure your superviser will understand and trust that something else is the reason for this. Honestly is the best policy tbh, plus there's always CCTV if push comes to shove!

You already made that assumption

Original post by YOLOLOLZ
Did you steal it?

No I did not

Original post by Mandeep12345
Yes it's likely to get the job, I was on a 3 month contract and I got the permeant job, make sure ur not late, even though you was £10 short on tills they give u like 1-2 chances until ur kicked out lol

I haven't been late, I think it's gonna be 11 or 12 weeks tomorrow but haven't had my 10 week review yet. Duno if tat's a bad thing?
Reply 11
Hiya! I've been working at Primark since about July last year. I have one friend who has been down on her till too many times to count. If you're down on your till three times, they'll give you a quick training course and pretty much hope it doesn't happen again. She has just been on her third training course (and has only been there a few months longer than me!). . . So they aren't exactly quick to chuck people out for being bad at the till.

It really doesn't matter to much, have you got many WOWs? What's your relationship like with your supervisors/managers? Are you good at any other aspects of the job? (I'm literally terrible tbh, I got a few WOWs and put loads of effort in up until my last review, but now all I do is hide in the changing rooms or go have a chat with people. I can't fold to save my life, my supervisors all laugh at me when I try and break down cardboard boxes, or I try and take baskets to the front of the store.)

You've already been there longer than ten weeks, your chances are looking pretty good. Hope you keep it!
Original post by Polecat
Hiya! I've been working at Primark since about July last year. I have one friend who has been down on her till too many times to count. If you're down on your till three times, they'll give you a quick training course and pretty much hope it doesn't happen again. She has just been on her third training course (and has only been there a few months longer than me!). . . So they aren't exactly quick to chuck people out for being bad at the till.

It really doesn't matter to much, have you got many WOWs? What's your relationship like with your supervisors/managers? Are you good at any other aspects of the job? (I'm literally terrible tbh, I got a few WOWs and put loads of effort in up until my last review, but now all I do is hide in the changing rooms or go have a chat with people. I can't fold to save my life, my supervisors all laugh at me when I try and break down cardboard boxes, or I try and take baskets to the front of the store.)

You've already been there longer than ten weeks, your chances are looking pretty good. Hope you keep it!

They havent mentioned that I've been down on tills so I'm hoping that it was just the once :smile: I don't know what WOWs are, so I'm guessing I haven't lol I'm pretty quite but I'm nice to my managers havent been on their bad sides. Thankyou :biggrin: i might find out today so i hope I get it
Reply 13
They havent mentioned that I've been down on tills so I'm hoping that it was just the once :smile: I don't know what WOWs are, so I'm guessing I haven't lol I'm pretty quite but I'm nice to my managers havent been on their bad sides. Thankyou :biggrin: i might find out today so i hope I get it

God, you're lucky, at my store all they ever talk about are the bloody WOWs. Do you give out customer service surveys? For every tenth customer, we're supposed to write our name down for them and ask them to review us, aha. I don't really bother anymore, but I was mentioned in the staff newsletter last summer for 'great customer service'. Proudest moment of my life! :wink:
Have you found out yet? :smile:
Original post by Polecat
God, you're lucky, at my store all they ever talk about are the bloody WOWs. Do you give out customer service surveys? For every tenth customer, we're supposed to write our name down for them and ask them to review us, aha. I don't really bother anymore, but I was mentioned in the staff newsletter last summer for 'great customer service'. Proudest moment of my life! :wink:
Have you found out yet? :smile:

What does WOW stand for? Oh, is it that online prize draw thingy? No I haven't found out, it's been exactly 12 weeks from the day I started! I was talking to this guy that started the same time as me and apparently the manager said that we'd find out if we're in or out near Christmas and that probation ended on jan 1st but who knows xD
Reply 15
What does WOW stand for? Oh, is it that online prize draw thingy? No I haven't found out, it's been exactly 12 weeks from the day I started! I was talking to this guy that started the same time as me and apparently the manager said that we'd find out if we're in or out near Christmas and that probation ended on jan 1st but who knows xD

I think it just means 'wow', but they like to capitalise it, aha! Yep, the online prize draw thingy. If a customer puts down your name and says something nice about you or something, you'll get a little flag thing put on the wall. We have them all down the corridor in the staff area!
Original post by Polecat
I think it just means 'wow', but they like to capitalise it, aha! Yep, the online prize draw thingy. If a customer puts down your name and says something nice about you or something, you'll get a little flag thing put on the wall. We have them all down the corridor in the staff area!

Oh i see.. I generally don't mention the online draw anymore. Honestly, can't be asked.. some customers just can't wait to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending