The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know, if I've been rejected by a university, can I then apply to another university through UCAS even though my five choices have been used up? I heard something along those lines and wondered if it was before the 15th Jan I could put in application to another uni in place of the one that rejected me? Thanks
Original post by WannaGetAnA
There's still time, don't panic! :smile: btw, how was your birthday?

True, I'll try not to :redface: it was lovely thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatimaja
Does anyone know, if I've been rejected by a university, can I then apply to another university through UCAS even though my five choices have been used up? I heard something along those lines and wondered if it was before the 15th Jan I could put in application to another uni in place of the one that rejected me? Thanks

I don't think you can, I'm afraid :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pandora.
Officially seen episodes I-VI now. I love them all :eek3::love::love:

Yay! Which one do you like the best? :biggrin:
Original post by fatimaja

I think it might be that you re rejected or have withdrawn from all five by march then you can apply to another or something, so unless you applied less than a week ago then I don't think so- sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robbie242

Commiserations mate. :console: Best of luck at Warwick. :biggrin: What's this I hear about you only sitting one of the STEP papers though? :sly:
Original post by smile:D

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Offer from Cambridge for Economics!!! :smile:

WELL DONE GUYS! Enjoy your celebrations. :biggrin:

Original post by Endless Blue
Pooled by Jesus. Didn't qualify for auto-pool but we'll just have to wait and see I guess

Best of luck in the pool, you must've impressed at interview. Fingers crossed. :crossedf:

Before anyone asks, I still don't know.
Original post by Felix Felicis
Commiserations mate. :console: Best of luck at Warwick. :biggrin: What's this I hear about you only sitting one of the STEP papers though? :sly:

Best of luck in the pool, you must've impressed at interview. Fingers crossed. :crossedf:

Thanks. :smile: I will be very surprised if you don't come out with an offer :tongue:

you dont know because youre in the pool,...or you havent received a letter yet?

Thanks bro :smile: I'm not sure as of yet, I'm gonna attempt STEP II and STEP III questions but if it becomes all too much I can fall back on a safe STEP I for reaching my uni offer
Original post by Lucy96
Congratulations to you both :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by -bethan-
Well done you, wow! :teehee:

Thank you :biggrin:
Anyone got any general tips about the ISAS in OCR A2 chemistry and/or OCR biology.Just general tips would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 9551
Original post by usycool1
Yay! Which one do you like the best? :biggrin:
I think Return of the Jedi (I'm rewatching that tonight/tomorrow night so I'll see :biggrin:), but all of the original trilogy are equally amazing. Ep II and III I enjoyed more than I expected from reviews - Phantom Menace was probably the weakest, but still a good watch. Thank you for the recommendation, I'm completely in love with the series! :awesome:

Bloody Jar Jar Binks though... :angry:
I think Return of the Jedi (I'm rewatching that tonight/tomorrow night so I'll see :biggrin:), but all of the original trilogy are equally amazing. Ep II and III I enjoyed more than I expected from reviews - Phantom Menace was probably the weakest, but still a good watch. Thank you for the recommendation, I'm completely in love with the series! :awesome:

Bloody Jar Jar Binks though... :angry:

Really? I watched the first one some time during Christmas and was bored out of my mind. My brother said that the first one is boring but the other ones are great so I think I might give the other movies a go.
trying to understand the whole point of these january exams,the disguised 'mark schemes' are all on the internet on ocr's website (exam reports)
Reply 9554
Original post by Dilzo999
Really? I watched the first one some time during Christmas and was bored out of my mind. My brother said that the first one is boring but the other ones are great so I think I might give the other movies a go.
Do you mean the first original or the first prequel? The first prequel was the worst. I did enjoy it but I doubt I would as much on a second viewing. The drag race was too long IMO. :]
Do you mean the first original or the first prequel? The first prequel was the worst. I did enjoy it but I doubt I would as much on a second viewing. The drag race was too long IMO. :]

Yeah it was the first prequel, the phantom menace. To be honest it's just me being harsh I'll probably give it another go after mocks :biggrin:. My brother is a huge fan of Star wars/Star trek, even his Christmas present was based on Star wars. Don't know why but I shall soon find out :P.
Any potential philosophers/theologians here?
Original post by CherGalois
you dont know because youre in the pool,...or you havent received a letter yet?

No letter.

I do think the original statement was unfair but if you see the article I linked it shows that sometimes poor state schools leave too many gaps in applicants' knowledge and they just can't make them an offer, even if they do have great potential. Compare this to, say, a leading boarding school you will see how big an impact education can have, and though Cambridge try to contextualise this they still take an overwhelming proportion of privately educated students.

I'd argue that TSR is an invaluable resource and a very potent equaliser, at least for maths, tbh. :beard:
(good luck in the pool btw Endless... and felix I'm keeping my fingers crossed that pembroke send the letter via owl post so it can arrive on a sunday :tongue: )
I do think the original statement was unfair but if you see the article I linked it shows that sometimes poor state schools leave too many gaps in applicants' knowledge and they just can't make them an offer, even if they do have great potential. Compare this to, say, a leading boarding school you will see how big an impact education can have, and though Cambridge try to contextualise this they still take an overwhelming proportion of privately educated students.

I think maths goes above and beyond just private vs state though. It's about nurturing talent from a young age. This is the main problem with the education for maths; unless you are very, very talented there's no way you can catch up at the age of 16/17 (when people start A-Levels is normally when they develop a deeper interest) to people who have been exposed and taught this stuff since the age of 12/13. I think there's this erroneous delusion that maths is all about natural ability just as there is a delusion that your education in maths should revolve around your high school teacher (when it should be mainly from textbooks and other published work).

(I may be talking less about STEP there ^ but my point is that you can't just decide you like maths at the age of 16 and be on a level playing field at 18 with people with the same "talent" as you who started at 13. Whereas I'd argue for most other subjects this is possible.)

Also I think that private vs. state is a bad generalisation (I'm not attacking your post personally here). There are definitely state schools which are as good - if not better than the average private school. I think the main distinction is that private schools are rarely awful whilst some state schools rarely send anyone in the year to a Russel group Uni. For Cambridge I think the private success rate is something like 31% whilst the maintained success rate is about 27% - which I would call acceptable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
Any potential philosophers/theologians here?

PhysPhil applicant. Sup?!