The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cinderella25
Thanks for the great advice!

No I mean the Institute of Education, University of London. I have applied for secondary MFL. What have you applied for?

I wish you the best for your interview! :smile:

Oh I see! you're very welcome-I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
thanks very much!
Anyone have an upcoming interview at Roehampton?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by proud nd luvin it
Has anyone who's applying for a Primary PGCE at Leeds, Birmingham or Leicester heard anything yet? :smile: x

BCU or UoB?

I have an interview for both, BCU on wednesday, and UoB on the 21st of Jan!
Original post by boggleman
Has any one had an interview at the University of Manchester yet, or is anyone going to have one on the 10th. No one I know has gotten to interview stage, and I can't find any tips/guidance, or even anyone else who has applied on the internet?

Is it for primary? The day is really long and a lot of waiting around. Don't worry about the tests they are okay without any revision. Be prepared to answer a lot of scenario questions and questions based on inclusion!

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Is a PGDE the same as a PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they are quite different, the first, PGDE, allows you to teach in post 16 education, although some schools will allow you to teach 14-16, whereas technically a PGCE allows you to teach at any level of compulsory education
Reply 4285
Original post by Fabay
Is a PGDE the same as a PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by boggleman
No, they are quite different, the first, PGDE, allows you to teach in post 16 education, although some schools will allow you to teach 14-16, whereas technically a PGCE allows you to teach at any level of compulsory education

Unless you're in Scotland, where a PGDE is essentially the same thing as what England calls a PGCE.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Unless you're in Scotland, where a PGDE is essentially the same thing as what England calls a PGCE.

xxx

I did not know that, thanks for the information :smile:
Reply 4287
Original post by kpwxx

xxx

It's just I have an interview for Liverpool john moores and they are calling it a PGDE for early years.. Would this mean if I got a place I'd only be able to teach early years primary in Scotland? I'm sure I applied thinking it was a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4288
Original post by Fabay
It's just I have an interview for Liverpool john moores and they are calling it a PGDE for early years.. Would this mean if I got a place I'd only be able to teach early years primary in Scotland? I'm sure I applied thinking it was a PGCE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm... are you sure it's not a typo? I know that sounds silly but it doesn't make much sense otherwise. Like boggleman said, in England PGDEs are for post-16 teaching.

The only reason PGCEs are called PGDEs in Scotland is because they decided to change the name as 'diploma' matched up more with the level of qualification that a PGCE gives you.

Postgraduate Diploma in Education is the one in England, which is for post-16.
Professional Graduate Diploma in Education is the Scottish one which is their equivalent of a PGCE.

So the idea of a PGDE in England in Early Years doesn't make sense. Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can do one of the Scottish ones in Early Years either - I'm not sure they count that as an acceptable focus up there.

xxx
Reply 4289
Original post by kpwxx
Hmmm... are you sure it's not a typo? I know that sounds silly but it doesn't make much sense otherwise. Like boggleman said, in England PGDEs are for post-16 teaching.

The only reason PGCEs are called PGDEs in Scotland is because they decided to change the name as 'diploma' matched up more with the level of qualification that a PGCE gives you.

Professional Graduate Diploma in Education is the Scottish one which is their equivalent of a PGCE.

So the idea of a PGDE in England in Early Years doesn't make sense. Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can do one of the Scottish ones in Early Years either - I'm not sure they count that as an acceptable focus up there.

xxx

Well that's what I originally thought that it was a typo but in the PDF they attached to the email it refers to PGDE throughout. I might email and double check, especially cos it says PGCE on ucas.. But I've just checked their website and it says 'PGCE Early Years (3 7 years) PgDip'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Well that's what I originally thought that it was a typo but in the PDF they attached to the email it refers to PGDE throughout. I might email and double check, especially cos it says PGCE on ucas.. But I've just checked their website and it says 'PGCE Early Years (3 7 years) PgDip'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pgde is now used in England in much the same way as it is in Scotland. I know that Sheffield uni offer secondary Pgde in place of pgce, a course which actually offers more masters credits.

The course you applied for may have been changed by the uni, perhaps email them to clarify?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone else have these interview dates for PGCE Primary:
Birmingham City University (8th Jan)
University College Birmingham (UCB, 14th Jan) or
Newman University (15th Jan)?
Original post by Fabay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by kpwxx

xxx

Yeah, as LaurieLee said, PGDEs are popping up in England too. I have looked into the difference before, and I think the main difference is that one gives you more credits towards a masters than another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4293
What are the current educational issues?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4294
Original post by Fabay
What are the current educational issues?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the education sections in the Times and Guardian, they'll have plenty of articles to choose from. And there are hundreds of current educational issues - I prepared for academies and pupils without English as a first language.
Hi friends.. M really worried. I have submitted my application but have heard only from Bcu thathe they are looking at my application. Nothing from the other two choices. Does that mean either they are closed or not gonna consider my application?? My skill tests are due next week. Worrying a lot,can't concentrate
Original post by siffatsaad
Hi friends.. M really worried. I have submitted my application but have heard only from Bcu thathe they are looking at my application. Nothing from the other two choices. Does that mean either they are closed or not gonna consider my application?? My skill tests are due next week. Worrying a lot,can't concentrate

Hi. Someone might want to back me up on this but I'm pretty sure that if the course closes you are notified of that so that you can make another choice, so I don't think they will have closed. Neither does not hearing mean they aren't considering your application. I didn't have a confirmation from any of mine yet got three interviews. When did you apply? Some places may take a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmilyCooke
Does anyone else have these interview dates for PGCE Primary:
Birmingham City University (8th Jan)
University College Birmingham (UCB, 14th Jan) or
Newman University (15th Jan)?

I have an interview with BCU on the 8th!

How are you preparing for the test?! My friend who is currently on their course said that she didnt revise much, as she had no clue what to revise!
Reply 4298
Hi everyone - does anyone have an interview for Bradford College on Tuesday for PGCE primary? Now it's getting closer I'm getting really nervous as this is my first choice uni! Argh! I've revised a lot on the new curriculum and a bit on EAL pupils and academies too. I was wondering what your opinions were on the presentation on an object. They ask you to show how you would use the object to facilitate learning, I've written my presentation as if I am addressing pupils directly, rather than the interviewers - do you think this is wrong?
I've also got a leeds interview on Thurs! Exciting week ahead! :smile: Good luck to those of you with interviews and congrats to those already with offers!
Anyone had their interview at the University of Birmingham? Preferably for their Primary programme.

Latest

Trending

Trending