The Student Room Group

Employer not paying for work trial/training

Basically I got a job as a Finance assistant at a fostering agency and they agreed to pay me NMW and also applied for my CRB/DBS check. I was goin to be trained by a guy who volunteers there for a week and then I was goin to work two days a week.

After my first day of just loads of filing and no training, the employer told me he was not happy with my attitude (lack of confidence) and will let me go if it continues. Then the next two days I did more filing and then did an hours worth of training. The fourth day I was told I'm too slow in learning stuff and they can't keep me anymore.

When I asked for pay, they said this was training and they can't pay me without my DBS and they assumed I knew I would not be paid until it has come thru. I had no work contract as well.

So I'm don't know wat to do, should I hve been paid or was the employer correct in not paying? Also I'm on job seekers and the employer told me to not tell them until I get my DBS. So if I do complain I'll be charged for benefit fraud right?

Can someone please help? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Faeeqa
Basically I got a job as a Finance assistant at a fostering agency and they agreed to pay me NMW and also applied for my CRB/DBS check. I was goin to be trained by a guy who volunteers there for a week and then I was goin to work two days a week.

After my first day of just loads of filing and no training, the employer told me he was not happy with my attitude (lack of confidence) and will let me go if it continues. Then the next two days I did more filing and then did an hours worth of training. The fourth day I was told I'm too slow in learning stuff and they can't keep me anymore.

When I asked for pay, they said this was training and they can't pay me without my DBS and they assumed I knew I would not be paid until it has come thru. I had no work contract as well.

So I'm don't know wat to do, should I hve been paid or was the employer correct in not paying? Also I'm on job seekers and the employer told me to not tell them until I get my DBS. So if I do complain I'll be charged for benefit fraud right?

The employer was not entitled to have you work and not pay you, but then you were not right to work without informing the job centre you claim from of your change in circumstances. If a DBS is that important (which, when you are working in sensitive environment such as fostering, it is) then you should not have commenced employment until that had been successful. I'm sorry, but from what you have said it sounds like the employer was trying to get a few days free labour out of someone.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I was under supervision until my DBS would come thru. I was going to tell the job centre, but was stopped by the employer. So I decided i'll tell them as soon as my contract wud be sorted out, which never happened...oh well so much for getting my first ever job after graduating :frown: need to be careful next time.
Reply 3
Original post by Faeeqa
Thanks for the reply. I was under supervision until my DBS would come thru. I was going to tell the job centre, but was stopped by the employer. So I decided i'll tell them as soon as my contract wud be sorted out, which never happened...oh well so much for getting my first ever job after graduating :frown: need to be careful next time.

Yeah, just make sure that they don't ask you to do something that clearly contradicts what you should do. So, if someone asks you not to tell the jobcentre... think again before taking the job. It's tough because getting a graduate job is so important but you'll get there.
Original post by Faeeqa

It's unlikely you'd get done for fraud for delaying telling them for such a short period - they might ask you to pay back the overpaid benefits and they may also cause admin problems though.

If the employer had you do work and didn't pay you they've broken the law - there's a confidential government helpline you can use - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/nmw.htm#3
Reply 5
Original post by MancStudent098
It's unlikely you'd get done for fraud for delaying telling them for such a short period - they might ask you to pay back the overpaid benefits and they may also cause admin problems though.

If the employer had you do work and didn't pay you they've broken the law - there's a confidential government helpline you can use - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/nmw.htm#3

Thanks for the link, I'll definetley look into tht

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending