The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are there any other League 2 fans here or is it mainly Championship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9701
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a few Championship, but I think there's the odd League 2 fan about.

League One here.

And great result for MK today - coming back from 2-0 down away to a Championship team to get a 3-3 draw, even after missing a penalty at 2-2. :smile:
I am wondering who to go watch in the 4th round now Villa got knocked out by the blades :mad:
Original post by Rock Fan
I am wondering who to go watch in the 4th round now Villa got knocked out by the blades :mad:

I hope we don't get drawn a massive team at home-to see 7,500 at Northampton when the Ricoh would have got over 30k...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
I hope we don't get drawn a massive team at home-to see 7,500 at Northampton when the Ricoh would have got over 30k...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everton or WBA away is what I want
:sigh: Glad I'm not in the midlands anymore, East Midlands Today would be a nightmare for the next week with the way this is going - they're bad enough at rimming forest when there's no reason to - "Derby have won 7 on the bounce, but nevermind that, let's go for an indepth interview at Nottingham Forest who have just employed a new shelf stacker in the club shop", god knows what it'll be like when they've actually done something worth some extended coverage.
Reply 9707
Oh dear West Ham.
Original post by Red Fox
Everton or WBA away is what I want

Arsenal away! Ecstatic with that-and should hopefully get on the telly.
Reply 9709
Should we beat Bristol City we get Man City, likely on television, away from home. I'd rather go out to Bristol City then be annilihated by about 8 goals on live TV...
Original post by Midlander
Arsenal away! Ecstatic with that-and should hopefully get on the telly.

Not that happy, I've been Arsenal before and we'll just lose. Plus random people who've never been to a Cov game are already tweeting about going to it.
Original post by Red Fox
Not that happy, I've been Arsenal before and we'll just lose. Plus random people who've never been to a Cov game are already tweeting about going to it.

Understand that but it's a bit of a reward for those who've been packing out the away crowds this season and it also brings some money in. Flip side is that they will rack up a cricket score...
Original post by Scott129
Take it you're a Chelsea fan then?

We play 4-1-2-3. Lots of fluent, passing football and, yes, we create a load of chances, mainly through Will Hughes (who you've probably heard of) and Craig Bryson, our centre mids.

Chris Martin's the central striker and he's been tearing it up as a classic number 9. We like to get the ball into his feet and get runners up to support him. McClaren in his presser today said that Bamford's been brought in as competition for Martin, so if he can hold the ball up well and put away chances from inside the 6 yard area, he'll fit right in. Can't see him starting ahead of Martin though as he's probably been our best player this year. Having said that, McClaren also says he can play as winger, so there should be plenty of opportunities for game time.

Thanks mate!

Too bad for today though!
Does anyone else think it would be a decent idea for FA Cup games to have no replays, if both teams agree to it? In some cases it's beneficial for one team to have a replay for financial reasons or to get a better chance of going through, but in others it adds an extra game to a full fixture list and a replay isn't in either team's interests.
Original post by CraigWM
Should we beat Bristol City we get Man City, likely on television, away from home. I'd rather go out to Bristol City then be annilihated by about 8 goals on live TV...

Woah, what's saying that Rovers won't beat City in the replay?! Can't wait for the game, I've got an interview at Manchester Uni on the same day so there's no excuse for me not to go!
Reply 9715

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye. I am (for my sins) a York fan. Hopefully things starting to look a bit brighter on the pitch for us now after an abysmal 2013!
Original post by bun
Aye. I am (for my sins) a York fan. Hopefully things starting to look a bit brighter on the pitch for us now after an abysmal 2013!

Ah! I have a soft-spot for ol' York City, I remember us playing you guys in the play-offs a few years ago to get to this league, incredible match. You're mid-table now aren't you? We've (Oxford) slipped from top to sixth, but this league is so close it could be decided on the last day.
Reply 9717
Ah! I have a soft-spot for ol' York City, I remember us playing you guys in the play-offs a few years ago to get to this league, incredible match. You're mid-table now aren't you? We've (Oxford) slipped from top to sixth, but this league is so close it could be decided on the last day.

Incredible for you perhaps :tongue: I just remember sitting in Wembley thinking 'how on earth have we made it this far...?! We're a shambles!' You fully deserved to beat us in that final, but years later, and thanks to Gary Mills we progressed quite a bit, and got up by beating Luton - which is always good.
We're sort of mid-table. After boxing day, we were in the bottom 2 just about, but some better performances in the last 2 games, and 2 much needed wins have seen us rise a bit. I think our squad with Worthington in charge should get mid-table. For about 5 or 6 matches this season, it just seemed we had no luck whatsoever - decisions, players slipping at just the wrong time etc etc, and turned wins into draws. And against southport, a win into a loss! But generally our perormances mean we should be higher up. Though not that high, we have seen our limit against some of the better teams - so I think mid-table would be a well received, and probably justified end position. (here's hoping!)

You started off all guns blazing, then a bit of a slip dropping to 6th as you say, but hopefully a good transfer market will see you pick up again. That said, when we played you on 21st december, you would have been hard pressed to choose which of the teams was 22nd, and which was in the play-offs!
Well played by rochdale lol at leeds
Original post by sr90
The situation last season with Man United v Chelsea just showed how utterly pointless replays between Premier League clubs are. Despite being a United fan I was actually glad Swansea scored just now because a replay would be a complete hindrance to both clubs.

The only situation where replays are beneficial is like you said, where a lower league club is playing a team much higher. The revenue with shared gate receipts, TV money etc would be such a huge boost to them and that should be preserved. It has to be everyone or noone though, otherwise someone would eventually complain about fixture congestion. So I think they are here to stay, sadly.

I suppose so, although much higher ranked sides don't need to put out their big guns for playing the smaller clubs. If our game against Barnsley had been drawn I wouldn't have wanted a replay as our squad is too thin on the ground anyway without extra games put on top, so it is of benefit all the way down.

Having games go straight to extra time and penalties definitely adds to the entertainment in the fixture, as an added bonus.

Latest