And I know nothing about analysing the film :sad: :lol:

Gonna fail hardcore :cool:
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
PhysPhil applicant. Sup?!

The roof. How about you?

How's the application process going?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hudsonxoxo
Thankyou :smile: yeah I'm doing that spec too! Most people seem to do B. Do you revise the frameworks as well? I have a mock in January and I don't really know what it will be on because we haven't covered everything yet. Yes can't wait till it's all over!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too haha, I only revise them a bit cause they're okay, and apparently the exams more about theories etc!

(Don't worry child, it's Sherlock tonight!)
Original post by usycool1
Been on TSR for exactly 4 years now... :awesome:

What a sad life :ashamed2: :tongue:

Wow :gasp: didn't realise you've been on here for so long :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been on TSR for exactly 4 years now... :awesome:

What a sad life :ashamed2: :tongue:

Mine will be 2 years at the end of the month.
Reply 9566
Planned to do some serious work and then my allergies decided to start acting up - 1 hour later still nothing done and now have puffy eyes and a blocked nose - urrrggghhhh T_T
Paramore<3
x

Can you see this one? :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Wow :gasp: didn't realise you've been on here for so long :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! I didn't post for like a year though after I joined, and I think my first post earnt me a warning/alert. :teehee:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Mine will be 2 years at the end of the month.

With almost 50000 posts too... :erm:
I know right! I didn't post for like a year though after I joined, and I think my first post earnt me a warning/alert. :teehee:

With almost 50000 posts too... :erm:

Someone's jelly :colone:
Reply 9570
Can you see this one? :smile:

No. :frown: Yeah, it's on the actual website that it doesn't work! Like you said, the app doesn't have a WQM thing.
I wonder if anyone else has the same problem? :confused: Thanks for trying!
Original post by Paramore<3
No. :frown: Yeah, it's on the actual website that it doesn't work! Like you said, the app doesn't have a WQM thing.
I wonder if anyone else has the same problem? :confused: Thanks for trying!

:sad:

Could you create a new thread in Report a problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=357 ? :smile: That way, admin can try to sort it out for you :smile:
Reply 9572
:sad:

Could you create a new thread in Report a problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=357 ? :smile: That way, admin can try to sort it out for you :smile:

Didn't even know that forum existed - thanks! Have done. :smile:
Original post by Llewellyn
(good luck in the pool btw Endless... and felix I'm keeping my fingers crossed that pembroke send the letter via owl post so it can arrive on a sunday :tongue: )
I think maths goes above and beyond just private vs state though. It's about nurturing talent from a young age. This is the main problem with the education for maths; unless you are very, very talented there's no way you can catch up at the age of 16/17 (when people start A-Levels is normally when they develop a deeper interest) to people who have been exposed and taught this stuff since the age of 12/13. I think there's this erroneous delusion that maths is all about natural ability just as there is a delusion that your education in maths should revolve around your high school teacher (when it should be mainly from textbooks and other published work).

(I may be talking less about STEP there ^ but my point is that you can't just decide you like maths at the age of 16 and be on a level playing field at 18 with people with the same "talent" as you who started at 13. Whereas I'd argue for most other subjects this is possible.)

Also I think that private vs. state is a bad generalisation (I'm not attacking your post personally here). There are definitely state schools which are as good - if not better than the average private school. I think the main distinction is that private schools are rarely awful whilst some state schools rarely send anyone in the year to a Russel group Uni. For Cambridge I think the private success rate is something like 31% whilst the maintained success rate is about 27% - which I would call acceptable.

I quite agree with your post. I'm not sure it's just maths that depends a lot on formative development, though - I would say the same, more-or-less, applies to subjects such as English (and by extension other essay subjects, albeit to a lesser degree). Those who are introduced to reading, particularly through parents, at an early age and then develop this themselves are in a much, much better position to develop when actual English lessons begin. People seem to get very emotive about private and state secondary schools but nobody seems to notice or be interested in what goes on during children's formative years. The great education differences lie between the ages of (say) two and six, not fourteen and sixteen.

The private-state schooling is a terrible dichotomy because, as you point out, it is so simplistic. It completely ignores the fact that there are still several top-performing grammar schools in the country and a small, although not insignificant, number of private schools that do not perform outstandingly academically (and tend to focus on other things, be it sport or music etc.). And on top of this there are still a number of comprehensive schools that are actually very good. So I do agree that we should avoid this simple generalisation that Robbie is guilty of using before, perhaps in frustration.

And thanks for the wishes re the Pool. My UMS is below the average so I'm not holding my breath but unlike a lot of people on TSR I am managing to keep fairly sane about the process. :smile:
Original post by Felix Felicis
No letter.

I'd argue that TSR is an invaluable resource and a very potent equaliser, at least for maths, tbh. :beard:

It is indeed. I have used TSR countless times for academic help and for maths it really is fantastic. The best thing about it is that you're not just given the answer and can actually learn and understand how to do things for yourself. Credit to the staff, mods and users for all working together in creating that kind of learning environment, it is very impressive.

I still don't think that remedies the real problem, though. Most people aren't going to use TSR until year 9/year 10, and even then those are a relatively rare kind of breed that take some sort of interest in their own education and development, in most cases at least. As Llewellyn noted, the greatest educational differences are at an early/earlier age before secondary school, rather than at the point most people are likely to join a forum like TSR. There are still huge issues that need addressing which goes beyond the banal private-state school debate.
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
The roof. How about you?

How's the application process going?

Obviously my man-parts :yep:

Got all my offers so well thanks. You happy with your progress so far?
Obviously my man-parts :yep:

Got all my offers so well thanks. You happy with your progress so far?

If you're doing what I think you're doing then you're doing it right. :wink:

It's going well thanks, just waiting to here back from the last two (hopefully Durham will get back to me tomorrow since I would have then past the two months deadline, provided that they're able to sort through all of the other applicants that they haven't been able to get back to yet due to the Christmas holidays).

Congratulations on getting all the offers by the way. Which one do you think you'll firm, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
If you're doing what I think you're doing then you're doing it right. :wink:

It's going well thanks, just waiting to here back from the last two (hopefully Durham will get back to me tomorrow since I would have then past the two months deadline, provided that they're able to sort through all of the other applicants that they haven't been able to get back to yet due to the Christmas holidays).

Congratulations on getting all the offers by the way. Which one do you think you'll firm, if you don't mind me asking?

I just got back from a rugby match - make of that what you will :rofl:

Well done! Is that for straight philosophy? :smile:

I'm declining them all to go to Princeton but I'd firm Cambridge (Phy NatSci) probably if I had an unexpected change of heart.
I'm declining them all to go to Princeton but I'd firm Cambridge (Phy NatSci) probably if I had an unexpected change of heart.

Can't wait for that thing :wink:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Can't wait for that thing :wink:

There will be a thread dedicated to im so academic when the time comes, I promise. :tongue:

Latest