The Student Room Group

Adrian Chiles

How on Earth is this clown still in his job as ITV's main football host, let alone who on Earth appointed him in the place?

The latest in the long line of his clueless football 'insights': He just claimed teams fighting relegation always seem to get knocked out of the FA Cup early, while teams pushing for promotion usually have long cup runs. Obviously he is oblivious to Wigan winning the cup last season and getting relegated, and Portsmouth, and Middlesbrough reaching the cup final while going down.

The man is an awful presenter and clearly knows nothing about football. He makes ITV's already amateurish football coverage even worse. I can't wait until they replace him with a proper presenter, for example Matt Smith who is their secondary presenter, is far superior to this clown.

Rant over!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's started worming his way back onto the BBC now as well. :colonhash:

He'll be back on their football coverage before you know it.
Top bloke.
Reply 3
Oh and your examples are horrendous btw. Portsmouth won the cup when they were a top half side. Middlesbrough were comfortably mid table when they won the League Cup.
Original post by scriggy
Oh and your examples are horrendous btw. Portsmouth won the cup when they were a top half side. Middlesbrough were comfortably mid table when they won the League Cup.

No they're not. I was referring to Portsmouth reaching the cup final in 2010 when they were relegated from the Premier League in the same season, and Middlesbrough reaching both League and FA Cup finals in 1997 whilst being relegated.
Reply 5
I don't think he was hired to be a football pundit as such, more someone to bring out opinions from the pundits. Not that the pundits or experts are any good mind. I'll always remember Alan Shearer stating that the winners of the Premier League would have to score lots of goals........
Reply 6
Original post by Existentialgrad
No they're not. I was referring to Portsmouth reaching the cup final in 2010 when they were relegated from the Premier League in the same season, and Middlesbrough reaching both League and FA Cup finals in 1997 whilst being relegated.

My mistake. Thought you were on about when they won them. Totally forgotten about Portsmouth's second final tbh.
He's useless but the adopted Englishman, Andy Townsend, is just as bad. At least Southgate is gone. What could he possibly contribute to a Champions League discussion? At least Keane and Dixon aren't too bad.
Reply 8
Original post by PPPPatrick
I don't think he was hired to be a football pundit as such, more someone to bring out opinions from the pundits. Not that the pundits or experts are any good mind. I'll always remember Alan Shearer stating that the winners of the Premier League would have to score lots of goals........

I won the Premier League on Football Manager with only the sixth highest goal tally in the league.

:getmecoat:
Original post by tengentoppa
He's useless but the adopted Englishman, Andy Townsend, is just as bad. At least Southgate is gone. What could he possibly contribute to a Champions League discussion? At least Keane and Dixon aren't too bad.

Roy Keane actually gives an opinion. Any person who gives a strong opinion on issues I respect even if i dont agree with what they say.
Original post by PPPPatrick

Shearer's delivered some gems over the years.

"That's what I like to see in a striker. He wants to score."

"The important thing for Villa is that they keep winning games. Otherwise they'll be in trouble".
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Roy Keane actually gives an opinion. Any person who gives a strong opinion on issues I respect even if i dont agree with what they say.

Same here. At least he's not bland.

Chiles tries to pipe in with his opinions too. Yet what possible qualification does he have to give his views about football on national TV? The bloke is clueless.
Reply 12
Original post by River85
I won the Premier League on Football Manager with only the sixth highest goal tally in the league.

:getmecoat:

Haha, I suppose you could only score 38 goals in an entire season and win every game.
Reply 13
Original post by tengentoppa
Shearer's delivered some gems over the years.

"That's what I like to see in a striker. He wants to score."

"The important thing for Villa is that they keep winning games. Otherwise they'll be in trouble".

That's just a taster, this parody account is worth a follow if you're on Twitter and Shearer's on MOTD.

But yeah, Chiles is dreadful. I still thank ITV everyday for luring him away from the Beeb.

Keane's the best thing on there alongside Dixon but when Southgate was involved, it was kinda good at times the three of them having jabs at each other. Now poor Dixon seems abit afraid sitting next to Keane on his own.
Original post by Aky786UK
That's just a taster, this parody account is worth a follow if you're on Twitter and Shearer's on MOTD.

But yeah, Chiles is dreadful. I still thank ITV everyday for luring him away from the Beeb.

Keane's the best thing on there alongside Dixon but when Southgate was involved, it was kinda good at times the three of them having jabs at each other. Now poor Dixon seems abit afraid sitting next to Keane on his own.

That parody is eerily similar.
Reply 15
Original post by Existentialgrad
Same here. At least he's not bland.

Chiles tries to pipe in with his opinions too. Yet what possible qualification does he have to give his views about football on national TV? The bloke is clueless.

wait wait wait, since when do you need qualifications? It's football. You don't really even need considerable experience in playing football to talk about the game on national TV in my opinion...
Chiles is good, get off the bandwagon.
Original post by Pride
wait wait wait, since when do you need qualifications? It's football. You don't really even need considerable experience in playing football to talk about the game on national TV in my opinion...

Well, I respect the views of people who have played the game at the highest level and offer insights into the game, or their honest opinion. Unfortunately a lot of ex-pros are awful pundits and offer nothing (Crooks, Carlisle, Shearer, Redknapp etc), but occasionally an ex-pro pundit comes along and offers great insight (Gary Neville or Clarence Seedorf for example) or offers an honest opinion where they don’t sit on the fence (Roy Keane).

Your claim that you don’t need considerable experience in playing the game to talk about it, is of course true, as it’s a game of opinions. But I’d rather not have a man like Chiles spouting his opinions on national TV as he is clearly no expert about the game (which he even admits to when spouting said opinions). By your extension, they shouldn’t bother with ex-pro pundits and just have Chiles and other random people talking about the game. That would offer no insight whatsoever. At least ex-pros have played the game at the highest level, so know a lot about the game from first-hand experience.
Reply 18
Chiles is ****ing horrendously bad. It seems to take him an age to even construct a sentence
Chiles is shocking as a presenter, how did he get the job?

Quick Reply

Latest