The Student Room Group

M1 Question Please help.

The question: A particle P is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 3ms-2. At time t=0s, P is passing through the origin O and is moving with speed ums-1 in the direction of x increasing. At time t=8s, P is instantaneously at rest at the pout A. Find:

A) The value of u
B) The distance OA
C) The times at which P is 24m from A.

I worked out A (got 24ms-1) and B (got 96m) which are correct according to the book. I just can't work out C. I think I know what I have to do, but I can't seem to get the right answers.

This is what I have done:

Using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 (it says times, so I assume you make a quadratic equation from this.

s=24m
a=-3ms-2

Therefore I have 24=ut -3/2t^2

I wasn't too sure how to get u, so I used the fact that s=24m, and a=-3ms-2. Then I used v=0ms-1. I then used v^2=u^2+2as

v^2 - 2as = u^2

This gives u=12ms-1.

So then I have 24=12t -3/2t^2

Have I done this at all correct so far?

Reply 1
Original post by BailaS
The question: A particle P is moving along the x-axis with constant deceleration 3ms-2. At time t=0s, P is passing through the origin O and is moving with speed ums-1 in the direction of x increasing. At time t=8s, P is instantaneously at rest at the pout A. Find:

A) The value of u
B) The distance OA
C) The times at which P is 24m from A.

I worked out A (got 24ms-1) and B (got 96m) which are correct according to the book. I just can't work out C. I think I know what I have to do, but I can't seem to get the right answers.

This is what I have done:

Using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 (it says times, so I assume you make a quadratic equation from this.

s=24m
a=-3ms-2

Therefore I have 24=ut -3/2t^2

I wasn't too sure how to get u, so I used the fact that s=24m, and a=-3ms-2. Then I used v=0ms-1. I then used v^2=u^2+2as

v^2 - 2as = u^2

This gives u=12ms-1.

So then I have 24=12t -3/2t^2

Have I done this at all correct so far?

You found u in the first part
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
You found u in the first part

Oh so I still use 24ms-1 then. But then surely s=96m, because u (in part A) was starting at O, an in part C I am starting from 72m away from O (24m from A)?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense
Original post by BailaS
Oh so I still use 24ms-1 then. But then surely s=96m, because u (in part A) was starting at O, an in part C I am starting from 72m away from O (24m from A)?

I think you would use original value for u and then use s=72m
Reply 4
Original post by aaron garbett
I think you would use original value for u and then use s=72m

I see. I did consider doing that but then just ended up totally confused.

If I do that I would get

72=24t - 3/2t^2

Re-arranged: 3/2t^2 - 24t + 72 = 0

Is that correct?
Reply 5
Original post by BailaS

hmmmmm
You have 2 choices u=24 and then s = OA-24

Or you can start again from A in which case u=0 and s = 24 not forgetting to add the 8 sec from the start
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BailaS
I see. I did consider doing that but then just ended up totally confused.

If I do that I would get

72=24t - 3/2t^2

Re-arranged: 3/2t^2 - 24t + 72 = 0

Is that correct?

It would give two real values for t, it is correct in the substitution you've done :smile: try solving it and see if the answers are right
hmmmmm

Or you can start again from A in which case u=0 and s = 24 not forgetting to add the 8 sec from the start

This way would also work :smile:
Reply 8
hmmmmm

It would give two real values for t, it is correct in the substitution you've done :smile: try solving it and see if the answers are right

Ok I'll have a try with these ideas. I'll be back in a couple of minutes
Original post by BailaS

I think that you've slightly misinterpreted the question.
Using the information provided in the question, and also the information you have calculated in parts a) and b), I will describe the motion of the particle:

At time t=0s1t = 0s{-1}, u=24ms1u = 24ms^{-1}.
It then moves forward with a constant deceleration, so that a=3ms2a = -3ms^{-2}.
When the particle has a displacement s=96ms = 96m, it comes to instantaneous rest, but it is still accelerating in the negative direction.

Twice on this journey, s=9624=72ms = 96 - 24 = 72m, the first when it has a positive velocity, the second when it has a negative velocity. Your task is to find out the times at which this occurs.

Here's a hint:

Spoiler

I'm sorry if I've repeated anything you've already said or know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
I think that you've slightly misinterpreted the question.
Using the information provided in the question, and also the information you have calculated in parts a) and b), I will describe the motion of the particle:

At time t=0s1t = 0s{-1}, u=24ms1u = 24ms^{-1}.
It then moves forward with a constant deceleration, so that a=3ms2a = -3ms^{-2}.
When the particle has a displacement s=96ms = 96m, it comes to instantaneous rest, but it is still accelerating in the negative direction.

Twice on this journey, s=24ms = 24m, the first when it has a positive velocity, the second when it has a negative velocity. Your task is to find out the times at which this occurs.

Here's a hint:

Spoiler

I'm sorry if I've repeated anything you've already said or know.

Yep I worked it out a couple of minutes ago and I got that, and the solutions work.

Thanks for explanation :smile:

This way would also work :smile:

hmmmmm

Thank you both as well I got it right this time :smile:.
Original post by BailaS
Y

:biggrin:
Original post by BailaS
Yep I worked it out a couple of minutes ago and I got that, and the solutions work.

Thanks for explanation :smile:

Happy to help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest