The Student Room Group

marinajelly has had enough!

So yes, I am 17 and overweight, it happened. Haven't had a reality check for a while now, just been steadily gaining weight for a few years... and recently was told that I have a very high cholesterol level and high blood pressure... both of which are of course results of being overweight.
I have tried many times to lose the weight, losing at most 10 pounds before I 'relax' and gain it all back again. I have tried everything from fad dieting to exercise programmes... and now I am determined to lose it healthily, and keep the fat gone for the rest of my life, and retain the healthy habits that I will gain during my weight loss.
My main motivation is the big holiday that I am going on in Easter 2014. I am going to the Carribean with my family for 2 weeks, 5* all inclusive, the works! And I just know that I won't be able to enjoy a beach holiday if I am uncomfortable about being on a beach! So here goes, this will be my final and successful attempt at losing the fat and getting back to a slim, healthy me.

Stats: 17
Start weight: 74kg
Height: 5'7 (170cm)
Current weight: 71.4kg
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck on trying to lose weight, personally I'd recommend swimming every day for half an hour or so, that can lose you weight really quickly, when I started swimming I lost a stone in two months! (weight lost will obviously depend on how long/how fast you swim for) but be warned swimming makes you very VERY hungry, (the amount on my plate seems to have doubled since I started but I'm a lot more toned and thinner than I ever was)
Anyway I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by allybop99
Good luck on trying to lose weight, personally I'd recommend swimming every day for half an hour or so, that can lose you weight really quickly, when I started swimming I lost a stone in two months! (weight lost will obviously depend on how long/how fast you swim for) but be warned swimming makes you very VERY hungry, (the amount on my plate seems to have doubled since I started but I'm a lot more toned and thinner than I ever was)
Anyway I hope this helps :smile:

Haha thanks! I've never been a fan of swimming really, I used to do 1km in half an hour though :smile: I'm a runner :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck losing the weight! I hope you manage to reach your goals :smile:.
Looking at your stats in the entry thread, I'm pretty similar to you - albeit a few pounds heavier! But we're the same height.

Good luck losing the weight :biggrin:
Good luck on your way to have a sexy body
Good luck! Be sure to keep us updated on how things are going. The most important thing here is that you remain in control of your diet and make sure you're hitting that caloric deficit. Look forward to seeing your progress over the next few months. :biggrin:
Reply 7
I can help you, but I'm afraid you'll have to take me on this holiday so I can make sure you reach your goal.
Reply 8
Doing daily HIIT and a strict diet will get you there no problem
Reply 9
Thanks for the support everyone!

Today has been a relatively laid back first day - came back from russia late last night and am still jet lagged, so I didn't manage to fit in any exercise. Went to my boyfriend's house for dinner which is usually really big and full of second helpings and puddings, however I controlled myself and didn't have any seconds :smile:

My plans for the next few months are:
-Do the 5-2 fast diet which I have been doing for a while now but not properly, putting me in a caloric deficit of 1400 calories on the days that I fast.
-Exercise ideally 3 times a week, 2 at least including cardio and HIIT
-Eat no more than 1400 calories on non fasting days, and generally avoid foods rich in saturated fat and sugar, however not completely take them out as I know I will get cravings! :redface:

Saw this the other day which was quite motivational: suck it up so you don't have to suck it in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marinajelly
Thanks for the support everyone!

Today has been a relatively laid back first day - came back from russia late last night and am still jet lagged, so I didn't manage to fit in any exercise. Went to my boyfriend's house for dinner which is usually really big and full of second helpings and puddings, however I controlled myself and didn't have any seconds :smile:

My plans for the next few months are:
-Do the 5-2 fast diet which I have been doing for a while now but not properly, putting me in a caloric deficit of 1400 calories on the days that I fast.
-Exercise ideally 3 times a week, 2 at least including cardio and HIIT
-Eat no more than 1400 calories on non fasting days, and generally avoid foods rich in saturated fat and sugar, however not completely take them out as I know I will get cravings! :redface:

Saw this the other day which was quite motivational: suck it up so you don't have to suck it in!

1400 calories will surely be a solid caloric deficit for you as it is? Never mind what your 2 fasting days would be? What's your current height/weight/TDEE?

Good job on starting off well at your bf's. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
1400 calories will surely be a solid caloric deficit for you as it is? Never mind what your 2 fasting days would be? What's your current height/weight/TDEE?

Good job on starting off well at your bf's. :biggrin:

Yes, but fasting gives me a great boost - it guarantees weight loss on fasting days, and it has great health benefits!
Height: 5'7
Weight: 73.6kg (started at 74kg)
TDEE: 1900 calories apparently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, but fasting gives me a great boost - it guarantees weight loss on fasting days, and it has great health benefits!
Height: 5'7
Weight: 73.6kg (started at 74kg)
TDEE: 1900 calories apparently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Much of the claimed health benefits behind the 5-2 style of intermittent fasting for people in your weight group have terribly weak evidence behind them!

Just did a wee calculator myself and it looks like 1900 is your TDEE without any exercise (so we can expect this to actually be a bit higher). Considering that you're supposed to be eating at maintenance on non-fasting days, and you're at a 500+ deficit already, personally, I'd be a bit worried about your ability to remain consistent with the diet and about how it'd make you feel when you're already on a deficit. You already guarantee weight loss on non-fasting days if you stick to your die, but hey, if you think you can stick to it, then more power to you. :tongue:

What days are you going to use for your fasting days?
Reply 13
Hmm that's interesting, tbh I don't plan on counting calories properly, so it'll be approximate anyway - I know from when I did count them that I went a bit crazy and ocd about every little thing :frown:
And plus there'll be days like parties or guests or whatever where I'll eat more than I should, so I guess it balances out :smile:
On a normal week I'll fast on Mondays and Thursdays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm that's interesting, tbh I don't plan on counting calories properly, so it'll be approximate anyway - I know from when I did count them that I went a bit crazy and ocd about every little thing :frown:
And plus there'll be days like parties or guests or whatever where I'll eat more than I should, so I guess it balances out :smile:
On a normal week I'll fast on Mondays and Thursdays :smile:

If that's how you want to do it, power ahead. But if you notice your weight loss stalling or you're not getting the results you want, then I'd really recommend starting to count properly. It's very easy for us to underestimate how much we eat! I'm terrible at approximating my calorie intake. :lol:

Good luck. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If that's how you want to do it, power ahead. But if you notice your weight loss stalling or you're not getting the results you want, then I'd really recommend starting to count properly. It's very easy for us to underestimate how much we eat! I'm terrible at approximating my calorie intake. :lol:

Good luck. :biggrin:

Thanks! I probably will count properly at some point, I just know if I'm too strict on myself at the beginning I'll snap! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yeah I've been doing 5:2 for ages just not regularly, or watching what I eat in between, plus my parents have done it and seen great weight loss :smile:

Yesterday's fasting was really hard because I haven't done it in more than 2 weeks, and it was the first day back so people with birthdays in the holidays had cake and sweets etc, however I stuck by it and it payed off - now 500g lighter! :smile: of course this fluctuates back up on non fasting days, but overall during the week I'll still lose weight :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
good luck
Haha thanks! I've never been a fan of swimming really, I used to do 1km in half an hour though :smile: I'm a runner :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

pfff haha what, 1k in half an hour? That's pretty slow...

Good luck though
Reply 19
Original post by mattmejevie
pfff haha what, 1k in half an hour? That's pretty slow...

Good luck though

I know I know, I was like 10 though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest