The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
I know you were. Sorry it came off a bit snappy.

You will cope. Semester 1 is always a nightmare as its a 12 weeks slog, and Freshers Flu doesnt help. Because you get behind, and then you stay behind and then Xmas is a bit naff. Semester 2 is usually better, because Easter rocks up half way through, and thats 4 weeks off!

In first year, the work isnt necessarily difficult, there's just a heck of a lot of it, and trying to do all of that, make friends and trying not to run out of clean pants is... a handful.

Is it weird im looking forward to it aha! :biggrin: Do they use the first year to get everyone to the same level?
Original post by TheAlchemistt
Is it weird im looking forward to it aha! :biggrin: Do they use the first year to get everyone to the same level?

They do, because you'll have people who don't have A level maths/physics/biology, some people will have done AQA Chemistry, others OCR, Edexcel, some people will have done the IB and there'll be a few internationals as well.
They do, because you'll have people who don't have A level maths/physics/biology, some people will have done AQA Chemistry, others OCR, Edexcel, some people will have done the IB and there'll be a few internationals as well.

Yeh i see, thanks for the advice/help your amazing!
Reply 1243

Do you know if you don't do a level maths or physics, do you not get a chance to do any extra modules? Thanks!
Original post by Bobby2
Do you know if you don't do a level maths or physics, do you not get a chance to do any extra modules? Thanks!

Unless you're doing 'MChem Chemistry with study in Europe', or something similar where you need your language to be up to scratch for your year abroad, you generally do get to. you might only get 10 credits or so that you can choose. For the rest you'll be told at registration you're doing these three core modules, that lab one, this maths one, that physics one as well.

I had AS maths (grade D... oops..), but still did what we affectionately nickname 'Baby maths' Sheffield offer 3 different modules, baby maths, proper maths (for those A level grade C or higher) or scary maths (for people that did F. Maths), and then one lass got registered for the 2nd year chem. eng maths module that they do. Admittedly, she did have A*A* maths/F.maths.
In the modules I did we got dragged kicking and screaming from foundation GCSE (BODMAS) to FP2 (?? matrices, eww.) in the space of 24 weeks.
Reply 1245
Unless you're doing 'MChem Chemistry with study in Europe', or something similar where you need your language to be up to scratch for your year abroad, you generally do get to. you might only get 10 credits or so that you can choose. For the rest you'll be told at registration you're doing these three core modules, that lab one, this maths one, that physics one as well.

I had AS maths (grade D... oops..), but still did what we affectionately nickname 'Baby maths' Sheffield offer 3 different modules, baby maths, proper maths (for those A level grade C or higher) or scary maths (for people that did F. Maths), and then one lass got registered for the 2nd year chem. eng maths module that they do. Admittedly, she did have A*A* maths/F.maths.
In the modules I did we got dragged kicking and screaming from foundation GCSE (BODMAS) to FP2 (?? matrices, eww.) in the space of 24 weeks.

Ahh that makes sense! Was it difficult to understand the maths in first year?

I got an E in AS maths, but i think im going to resit it to get a B hopefully :biggrin:
Original post by Bobby2
Ahh that makes sense! Was it difficult to understand the maths in first year?

semester 1 was all GCSE C1 and a smidge of S1. semester 2 was craploads of new differentiation/integration stuff form C3/C4. the end of semester 2 was matrices, series and things like that with this italian lecturer noone could understand.

So we all attempted to beast the stuff we did with the lecturer we could understand, and Khan academy-ed the living hell of the the matrices stuff and hoped for the best.

Edit: and then went for a pint to forget how badly his part of the exam had gone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1248
semester 1 was all GCSE C1 and a smidge of S1. semester 2 was craploads of new differentiation/integration stuff form C3/C4. the end of semester 2 was matrices, series and things like that with this italian lecturer noone could understand.

So we all attempted to beast the stuff we did with the lecturer we could understand, and Khan academy-ed the living hell of the the matrices stuff and hoped for the best.

Edit: and then went for a pint to forget how badly his part of the exam had gone.

Was the Italian lecturer the only maths teacher available? :L
Original post by Bobby2
Was the Italian lecturer the only maths teacher available? :L

well, he's one of the phys chem lecturers within the department.
Hello peeps

Has anyone got interviews for imperial this year? I'm predicted A*AA and i have upcoming interviews for UCL and Birmingham but still nothing from imperial. :confused:
Reply 1251
Original post by hahmed2080
Hello peeps

Has anyone got interviews for imperial this year? I'm predicted A*AA and i have upcoming interviews for UCL and Birmingham but still nothing from imperial. :confused:

Yes, I have and many here do too, and several people have already had the interviews and have received offers. When did you send your application? Many of us sent them in October so the University has had more time to get back to us.
I sent mine in mid November, I mean i got the email saying they are reviewing my application but dat it :s-smilie:
I'm hoping that they have interviews in march or something for the last batch of applicants aaaah.
Oh wells, when did you have your interview and how was it?
Reply 1253
I sent mine in mid November, I mean i got the email saying they are reviewing my application but dat it :s-smilie:
I'm hoping that they have interviews in march or something for the last batch of applicants aaaah.

I wouldn't worry then, they probably had many applications coming it at around that time. The deadline isn't until January 15th, so of course they will have later interview dates.
I had to change the date of my interview as it clashed with my one from Oxford so I have one in January. Though I probably won't attend, I don't really want to go there.
(edited 10 years ago)
That's a relief to hear I guess, good luck with your interviews!
Reply 1256
Hi when did they let you know about your interview for ucl? And when is it?

I got an interview from imperial for the 29th of January so dw there are later dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1257

Hi when did they let you know about your interview for ucl? And when is it?

I got an interview from imperial for the 29th of January so dw there are later dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1258
I'm playing with the idea of taking a gap year and applying to oxford. I don't know - I just feel like I may regret it if I never try. I never really thought it was an option but will top grades without biology/physics/further maths affect my application? If I didn't do this, then I would probably firm my durham offer. Is it worth withdrawing my application later just to have a shot at oxford? ( I am also enthusiastic about taking a gap year!)
Original post by Cap1234
I'm playing with the idea of taking a gap year and applying to oxford. I don't know - I just feel like I may regret it if I never try. I never really thought it was an option but will top grades without biology/physics/further maths affect my application? If I didn't do this, then I would probably firm my durham offer. Is it worth withdrawing my application later just to have a shot at oxford? ( I am also enthusiastic about taking a gap year!)

you could always ask durham if you could apply for deferred entry, with the offer you already have. Then take the gap year, (re)apply for oxford in your gap year, and hope you get an offer. If the oxford offer doesn't happen, you still have Durham to fall back on. I can't help with the not having phys/f.maths, as I had neither of those, yet still got 5 offers (Sheffield, York, UCL, UEA, MMU). If you wanted to take another AS/ A level in your gap year, I'd go for physics... f. maths - we've only really used series, and matrixes and the eulers theorem stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending