The Student Room Group

Scooby vs. Mike Chang

In the battle between two of the biggest body builders on Youtube, Mike Chang and Scooby have clashed numerous times. Scooby emphasises a can-do, wherever/whenever attitude for exercises whilst choosing a philanthropic method of giving people free and readily available information on how to workout properly; Mike Chang is similar, but does so at a greater cost (literally), but let's look at the pro's and cons of sixpackshortcuts:

Pros: It's a basic workout but he does a pretty good job of explaining and showing the exercises. It's not an ab workout - it's total body in the first month followed by more sculpting in the 2nd and 3rd months. The "zero willpower" eating system is basically multiple healthy meals prepared in advance. The "shortcut" here is in reference to other workout videos - it's a marketing ploy. It's a pretty well laid schedule and program out so there's not much guesswork. It's a 30 min per day workout once you get the routine down.

Cons:The video quality is average - made in his home gym with some sequences done at a pro gym. The workout sheets on the website don't always match the videos. The work out routine can get repetitive. A lot of supersets. The cardio days are fairly light, and the money you put towards it is being spent on something you do yourself: $97 plus $67 a month is extortionate.

I don't want to knock the confidence of anybody who's thinking of using SPS, but Chang is really nothing more than a marketing mouth piece. Just watch this video:

For the first 5 minutes or so he's warbling on about an off-topic audio program which is clearly just an excuse to advertise.

Compare that with Scooby:

He doesn't ramble on about products, he just gets straight into what you want to see. Granted the exercises are different by the home/gym split, but even then Scooby doesn't waste time in his videos.

You know what? Mike Chang does know his stuff, and I suppose he's probably not as much of a douche as he's made out to be, but up against Scooby he's still a jerk. Scooby feels like a regular guy, someone who isn't made out of marketing or profiteering. Yes, he does sell products on his sight like Chang does, and yes Chang does offer some good tips and pointers as much as Scooby does, but to me personally I feel Chang is superficial and unrealistically selling products under a 'your-results-may-vary' basis. And let's not forget this video:

Maybe it is or isn't steroids, but in either case he's admitted lying to his customers for the last couple of years, and now is prepared to offer his big secret at a minimal cost of so many dollars. This guy sums up most of the pros and cons of the two:

In short, I am inclined to side with Scooby when it comes to working out simply because of his dedication to his fans. That said, Mike Chang does offer some free advice when he feels like it, though timelessly appears as a makeshift billboard for the latest products which intercut his videos. But I am interested to hear what you think and why on both of them, and which one, if any, you feel is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mike Chang is a con artist and a disgrace to fitness. He deserves absolutely no respect from anyone.
Reply 2
Original post by Shawshank
Mike Chang is a con artist and a disgrace to fitness. He deserves absolutely no respect from anyone.

Have you tried his programme/know anyone who has?
mike chang is a fraud, he admitted it himself lol
Reply 4
Reply 5
Wait whats the point of this thread? Both of them really know dick all about serious nutrition or training, and I wouldn't bother spending a minute watching either tbh
Original post by bertstare
Wait whats the point of this thread? Both of them really know dick all about serious nutrition or training, and I wouldn't bother spending a minute watching either tbh

This.

Also, am I the only person that things somebody who markets themselves as '6 pack short cuts' should actually have a solid 6pack, and not some watery looking vague definition, despite great lighting and oil...?
Afterburn effects, factor X, magic red drinks. **** off. Mike Chang is a parasite. He's selling a product - nothing more.
Reply 8
Scooby has a ****ing beautiful voice :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's like a battle between two retards to see who can trick the most retards into listening to them and following their retarded advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

Scooby seems to.

How can you seriously say that about Scooby? He's almost definitely on steroids but the man is in his 50s, he's more swole than the majority of roided up people in their 20s/30s, he did flyes with around 60kg dumbbells to prove a point in one of his videos so he's strong as **** even though he trains for aesthetics, and he also went for a 200 mile cycle ride a while back so he's as fit as he looks. What makes you say he knows 'dick all' about serious nutrition or training?
Reply 12
Original post by Kiss
Scooby seems to.

Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
How can you seriously say that about Scooby? He's almost definitely on steroids but the man is in his 50s, he's more swole than the majority of roided up people in their 20s/30s, he did flyes with around 60kg dumbbells to prove a point in one of his videos so he's strong as **** even though he trains for aesthetics, and he also went for a 200 mile cycle ride a while back so he's as fit as he looks. What makes you say he knows 'dick all' about serious nutrition or training?

Look at some of scooby's videos - one of them is titled "If it tastes good, spit it out", and "why egg yolks are bad for you". I'm not sure how you can take advice from someone like that particularly seriously, regardless of how impressive you might find his physique. His size has absolutely nothing to do with his knowledge of training or nutrition, listen to the information he puts out rather than focusing on how big his pecs are or how much he flyes. - If we went by your logic, Ronnie Coleman would be the world's leading expert on nutritional biochemistry and physiology
Reply 13
Look at some of scooby's videos - one of them is titled "If it tastes good, spit it out", and "why egg yolks are bad for you". I'm not sure how you can take advice from someone like that particularly seriously, regardless of how impressive you might find his physique. His size has absolutely nothing to do with his knowledge of training or nutrition, listen to the information he puts out rather than focusing on how big his pecs are or how much he flyes. - If we went by your logic, Ronnie Coleman would be the world's leading expert on nutritional biochemistry and physiology

Well at least he's not trying to sell some hack product.
Reply 14
Original post by Kiss
Well at least he's not trying to sell some hack product.

Fair enough, he's definitely a respectful guy in that sense but his information is still totally wack most of the time. Wouldn't waste time watching him (or the vast majority of youtube fitness guys, I'd stay well clear of rob riches, greg plitt, jeff seid, so on and so forth if you want to learn useful stuff).
Reply 15
Fair enough, he's definitely a respectful guy in that sense but his information is still totally wack most of the time. Wouldn't waste time watching him (or the vast majority of youtube fitness guys, I'd stay well clear of rob riches, greg plitt, jeff seid, so on and so forth if you want to learn useful stuff).

To be honest, the main intent was aimed at Mike Chang's shoddy 'afterburn affect' and his 'secrets'.
Nah I'd rather watch the Hodgetwins and enjoy the lols.

Change is the most annoying douche to grace the bodybuilding community.
Reply 17
Original post by Kiss
To be honest, the main intent was aimed at Mike Chang's shoddy 'afterburn affect' and his 'secrets'.

He's pretty much known as the joke of the online fitness community, and that's really saying something
Look at some of scooby's videos - one of them is titled "If it tastes good, spit it out", and "why egg yolks are bad for you". I'm not sure how you can take advice from someone like that particularly seriously, regardless of how impressive you might find his physique.

This I agree with. I'd forgotten about that video which was way OTT imo.

His size has absolutely nothing to do with his knowledge of training or nutrition,

I don't see how you can say this: he trains for aesthetics and has a fantastic physique, especially for someone his age. Point being he couldn't have achieved it without knowing about training and nutrition.

listen to the information he puts out rather than focusing on how big his pecs are or how much he flyes.

He's a big guy giving advice to people on how to get big. What he's doing has worked for him - the size of his pecs and how much he flyes is evidence the information he's giving is useful, provided the workouts he films are his actual workouts.

If we went by your logic, Ronnie Coleman would be the world's leading expert on nutritional biochemistry and physiology

No, this is not my logic. My previous logic would lead you to say that Ronnie Coleman is an expert on achieving a world class bodybuilding physique, which he is.

Anyway I'm playing devil's advocate slightly here as I don't actually follow Scooby's workouts, but my points seem valid to me - the man does know about the training and nutrition needed to achieve a decent physique.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
This I agree with. I'd forgotten about that video which was way OTT imo.

I don't see how you can say this: he trains for aesthetics and has a fantastic physique, especially for someone his age. Point being he couldn't have achieved it without knowing about training and nutrition.

He's a big guy giving advice to people on how to get big. What he's doing has worked for him - the size of his pecs and how much he flyes is evidence the information he's giving is useful, provided the workouts he films are his actual workouts.

No, this is not my logic. My previous logic would lead you to say that Ronnie Coleman is an expert on achieving a world class bodybuilding physique, which he is.

Anyway I'm playing devil's advocate slightly here as I don't actually follow Scooby's workouts, but my points seem valid to me - the man does know about the training and nutrition needed to achieve a decent physique.

It would be great if it actually worked like this (ie. if it worked for one person, then that method is optimal for everyone), but the guy is as big as he is because he clearly has great genetics for muscle building and has most definitely used steroids at some point - all he needs is a vaguely reasonable routine and he's going to build plenty of size without ever knowing much else. That in no way means that his training and nutritional methods are optimal - which I'd assume is what all of us are after, especially if we're going to spend time doing research and reading up on the subject

The amount of guys out there with great physiques due to fantastic genetics and blatant steroid use is plentiful, and yet their training and nutritional advice are often ridiculous. Watch 10 minutes of any greg plitt or jeff seid video and that much is obvious

Quick Reply

Latest