The Student Room Group

Isit too late to start uni in Sept 2014?

Im 21, gonna be 22 in 10 days.. And im really panicking now because i want to go to uni in september to study Pharmacy and finally live my dream.. only problem is i studied a levels in sixth form years ago and got CDE in bio, maths, chem in order.. I went to uni to study biomedical science but dropped out and have been working part time since. Now i really want to go back this year, I know i will have to retake maths and chemistry a-levels and achieve As, but does anyone think its possible and where can i sit these exams independently?
Reply 1
Original post by matthewsackey
Im 21, gonna be 22 in 10 days.. And im really panicking now because i want to go to uni in september to study Pharmacy and finally live my dream.. only problem is i studied a levels in sixth form years ago and got CDE in bio, maths, chem in order.. I went to uni to study biomedical science but dropped out and have been working part time since. Now i really want to go back this year, I know i will have to retake maths and chemistry a-levels and achieve As, but does anyone think its possible and where can i sit these exams independently?

The UCAS deadline is next Wednesday (15th) so if you got your act together you might be able to, not sure about the practicalities of getting an independent reference and stuff though so you'd have to get yourself very organised very quickly.

You can sit exams as an external candidate at any exam center, you'd have to pay for them though and you'd have to ring up schools/colleges quite soon to arrange it.

Why are you only thinking about this now? UCAS opened in September, if it's really your dream or if you care enough to now be panicking you'd think you'd have done something about it ages ago :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
i know i think i suffer from last minute syndrome, serious **** man it affects millions dont laugh.. lol.. na ive been slaving away for pennies and nobody gets paid like pharmacists right? that was my original ucas application and i got accepted into reading after an interview and everything but i just never got the grades in sixth form, really should have taken a gap year but i was an eager beaver. learnt from my mistakes i guess you could say. thanks for the reply tho, im going to email my sixth form tomoro and see if they will have me. u think getting an A grade in maths and chemistry if i start now is possible tho?
Reply 3
i know i think i suffer from last minute syndrome, serious **** man it affects millions dont laugh.. lol.. na ive been slaving away for pennies and nobody gets paid like pharmacists right? that was my original ucas application and i got accepted into reading after an interview and everything but i just never got the grades in sixth form, really should have taken a gap year but i was an eager beaver. learnt from my mistakes i guess you could say. thanks for the reply tho, im going to email my sixth form tomoro and see if they will have me. u think getting an A grade in maths and chemistry if i start now is possible tho?

I can only speak for maths as I haven't studied chemistry at A Level, but I would say it'll be hard. To do all 6 maths modules in 5 months would be tough even if you were just doing that one subject, but to do all the modules of everything else as well would be extremely difficult indeed. You may also struggle to get the unis to notice you. You might be better spending this year getting your grades up and then apply with your results for 2015 entry? How long ago did you do your A Levels? Qualifications remain valid for 5 years so if it was less than 5 years ago you wouldn't have to resit all the modules you'd just have to do the ones you didn't get high grades in. If it was more than 5 years ago you'd have to do all modules again.
Reply 4
I sat my a-levels in 2011, so 3 years ago. Yh i think it will be a good idea to take two years, and work on some pharmacy related activities to improve my ucas app.. A year is nothing nowadays. thanks for the advice friend, really helped!
I sat my a-levels in 2011, so 3 years ago. Yh i think it will be a good idea to take two years, and work on some pharmacy related activities to improve my ucas app.. A year is nothing nowadays. thanks for the advice friend, really helped!
Don't think you really need to take 2 years, just find a few pharmacy work placements and improve CDE to at least AAB/ABB (depending on where you want to apply and at least a B in chem).. you'll get an offer in no time :wink:
Have you considered an access course instead? You can normally complete one of these in a year (its what I'm doing atm). It gives you the relevant grades you need to apply to uni whether you have the relevant A-level grades or not. I did A levels when I was 18, but no where near good enough for uni, I'm not 23, into my access course and applied for uni for this year. Getting some experience could be good too in a year out. Good luck.
If you are sitting a lot of modules this June including AS and A2 it will be difficult but you have experience of a level so not impossible.
You will have to write a PS ASAP and find a reference within 1-2 weeks, and the unis you apply to will want to know why you dropped out of biomed etc, that might work against you but it is possible to get some offers from lower tier unis. I know pharmacy sometimes goes in clearing aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending