The Student Room Group

iGCSE English Language A ( EDEXCEL ) - JAN 14

Hey there.
Anyone also giving this exam? What's your expectations for the anthology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Hey there.

I'm doing the igcse English language exam on the thirteenth, my exam board is aqa however. We found out are mocks today, the first paper (50%) I got a B where as the second I got an A* (40%). For the anthology I reckon it will be similar to the last paper for the igcse, which is was;" the kindness of strangers". I do not know the expectations for the edexcel, but it'll probably be very similar.
Reply 2
Hey there.

can be: Passage to Africa, Chinese Cinderella or Climate change. btw where are you from?
Original post by lashi
can be: Passage to Africa, Chinese Cinderella or Climate change. btw where are you from?

I agree with you!
I m from Croatia, but I live in Kuwait, wbu?
Reply 4
I agree with you!
I m from Croatia, but I live in Kuwait, wbu?

I'm from UK, but live in Spain and mine is on the 13th and 17th. so your exam will be before us? Good luck!
Original post by lashi
I'm from UK, but live in Spain and mine is on the 13th and 17th. so your exam will be before us? Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Same to you :biggrin:
Unfortunately no :/ It's the same.

Btw, how's your preparation?
Will you revise for all the anthologies tho?
Original post by Mo98
I'm doing the igcse English language exam on the thirteenth, my exam board is aqa however. We found out are mocks today, the first paper (50%) I got a B where as the second I got an A* (40%). For the anthology I reckon it will be similar to the last paper for the igcse, which is was;" the kindness of strangers". I do not know the expectations for the edexcel, but it'll probably be very similar.

Hey, Good luck!
Your mock results are brilliant!

I dunno but I think edexcel is different.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! Same to you :biggrin:
Unfortunately no :/ It's the same.

Btw, how's your preparation?
Will you revise for all the anthologies tho?

Thanks. then it will be a few hours before us on the same day. I would not revise 2013 papers but we will have to revise : Explorers or boys (May 2011), touching the void (Jan 2012) and game of polo (May 2012) as we never know what will likely to come up. I reckon Climate change for this year as there is no records for this in past papers. however Passage to Africa came in 2010 and Chinese Cinderella in 2009. hope this helps.
Original post by lashi
Thanks. then it will be a few hours before us on the same day. I would not revise 2013 papers but we will have to revise : Explorers or boys (May 2011), touching the void (Jan 2012) and game of polo (May 2012) as we never know what will likely to come up. I reckon Climate change for this year as there is no records for this in past papers. however Passage to Africa came in 2010 and Chinese Cinderella in 2009. hope this helps.

yeah you re right ))

Well, are you sure passage to Africa came in 2010? I just checked 2010 papers and didn't find it.
Reply 9
yeah you re right ))

Well, are you sure passage to Africa came in 2010? I just checked 2010 papers and didn't find it.

yes, it was in Jan 2010 according to my list, however I cannot find the paper online now.
Original post by lashi
yes, it was in Jan 2010 according to my list, however I cannot find the paper online now.

oh yea.
Okay, so you won't revise any of the 2013 anthologies right?
Also do you have the analysis for the second climate change topic?
Last thing, can i pm you part of my writing and tell me your opinion?

haha i m sorry for disturbing you seriosuly :/ but i didn't actually prepare well for eng as i m currently doing A2 bio chem & phy ....
Reply 11
No, I wouldn't revise any of 2013 anthos. yes I do have the analysis for the second part. pls let me know your email, so I can those to you. sure you can send me your writing.
Reply 12
Just wondered how you guys felt it went this morning. Thought it was pretty standard, screwed up my timings for the last question so only had 20 mins to answer it.

Just have to wait and see!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Do you remember the actual wording of the last question - was it a season or an event we were supposed to write about?
Reply 14
I don't think we're allowed to talk about specifics until after midnight tonight, apparently the mods on here get a little upset. I think I remember the wording pretty clearly and will happily say once the time has past.

How do you think you did, I'm thinking around 30-40 for the paper, not great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Oh ok - sorry - I was quite happy but feeling a bit worried now.
Reply 16
Yeah it's always the way, when I first walked out I felt pretty good. Since then though I've just been second guessing everything. I'm sure you did fine buddy try not to worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Ok it's a little early but here goes:

The question was along the lines of:
Write a magazine article about your favourite season. Focus on:
- events that occur that time of year
- how it makes you feel
- Personal experiences of that season

I answered the question late with only 15 minutes left due to screwing up my timings. I went along the lines of Summer, BBQs, summer clothes & holidays. I remember the phrase "It's Pimms season!" Not sure how well it will go but I had Gok Wans voice in my head while writing

There was also a question on writing a speech about who inspires you. I could only think of Wisnton Churchill (boring answer) and his adversity from losing the admiralty to saving us from tyranny. How you should never stop having faith in yourself and keep pushing forward no matter how many times you're wrong footed.

The Chinese Cinderella one was pretty standard fare considering it was in the anthology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi - thought as much - misread it and only focused on one event - Halloween - used loads of imagery so maybe not all is lost - yours sound great with only 15 mins - I am sure the Pims element will go down well - Churchill was good - I chose my grandad - Chinese Cinderella was ok so hopefully I'll keep some good marks there - thanks for posting as at least I can sleep now lol.
Reply 19
Fingers crossed. I think my writing was getting pretty illegible by the end and I didn't get a chance to proof read so there's a good chance of silly mistakes like mixed tenses etc. just got to do well on the next paper. Are you doing your next one Friday as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending