The Student Room Group

Should acid-throwing warrant an automatic life sentence?

It's such a heinous crime, designed not only to cause pain but to disfigure a person for life.

So when its effects are serious/severe (i.e. not just landing on their clothes but severely disfiguring the victim), should it not warrant an automatic life sentence?

I mean, you're not going to get 40 years for it - but I think a life sentence with a minimum term of 15-20 years is fair for such an attack.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it should definitely be sentenced severely.
Reply 2
Hmm. Yes, I think so. The effects of such an attack are rather frightening, as it would cause the victim a great deal of trauma, perhaps for the rest of their life. Thankfully face transplants and facial reconstructive surgery are developing at quite a fair rate, but even so, the mental damage it could cause may last for many years after the physical damage has been attended to. So yes, I believe it should warrant an automatic life sentence.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think that's fair, same as if someone disfigured a victim with bleach, sandpaper, blades etc.

Since the impact on the victim is severe, so should the sentence be
Reply 4
I am 100% serious when I say yes it definitely should - one of the worst crimes anyone can commit in terms of the consequences which follow for the victim.
Reply 5
It should definitely have a severe penalty, the mental consequences for the victim are awful and they will probably have scars for the rest of their lives. However I think it is one of those crimes where rehabilitation is definitely needed as well as life, or they're most likely going to do it again as soon as they come out
Reply 6
Most definitely yes
Absolutely.
Reply 8
I'd rather just shoot them, but sure.
Reply 9
Original post by pixie girl
It should definitely have a severe penalty, the mental consequences for the victim are awful and they will probably have scars for the rest of their lives. However I think it is one of those crimes where rehabilitation is definitely needed as well as life, or they're most likely going to do it again as soon as they come out

Do you think that instead of rehabilitation this is one of those crimes which deserves the death penalty?
Not advocating it just wanted to see what arguments for and against it were e.g. money being spent on the criminal's rehabilitation when the victim suffers for the rest of their lives.
Yeah agreed.
Original post by VK96
Do you think that instead of rehabilitation this is one of those crimes which deserves the death penalty?
Not advocating it just wanted to see what arguments for and against it were e.g. money being spent on the criminal's rehabilitation when the victim suffers for the rest of their lives.

I think it definitely deserves a long time in jail at the least. I'm a supporter of the death penalty but I'm unsure whether I'd advocate it for this. On one hand the perpetrator didn't kill anyone but on the other he/she set out to utterly destroy someone's life. I'd be interested in other people's arguments.
Reply 12
I agree with you for sure!
Not only is acid-throwing one of the most heinous acts I can imagine, it's one of the most cold-blooded. You don't throw acid in someone's face in a fit of rage. It's sinister, it's pre-meditated and anyone who can countenance something like that deserves to rot in a cell.
Reply 14
I believe so
Reply 15
Absolutely.
Reply 16
Probably get excused on 'cultural grounds', looking at most of the perps...
Reply 17
Original post by VK96

I think the death penalty is maybe too severe, I don't really agree with the death penalty anyway but even less so in this case; as awful as the crime is, they didn't actually set out to kill anybody and probably just didn't understand the consequences of their actions. Also money being spent could be a good thing as it stops other potential victims suffering for the rest of their lives without going so far as to end another life.
Reply 18
Definitely. It's even worse than murder imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by pixie girl
I think the death penalty is maybe too severe, I don't really agree with the death penalty anyway but even less so in this case; as awful as the crime is, they didn't actually set out to kill anybody and probably just didn't understand the consequences of their actions. Also money being spent could be a good thing as it stops other potential victims suffering for the rest of their lives without going so far as to end another life.

Hmm I just can't imagine what went through their mind when they were acquiring the acid, they must have been looking at different types, which is most effective, all those messed up mind-processes.

Is rehabilitation worth it when clearly there is an inherent problem mentally which the criminal knew was going to destroy the victim's life?

I would post images of the severity of disfigurements caused but I imagine that could be too much for some members here.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending