The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinitus
Tell me about it! I've got 3 min to discuss an educational issue that inspired me to become a teacher!!! Was only told about it today and my interview is Thursday....argh....

My interview is on Wednesday and its difficult to squeeze everything in. My introduction is 3 minutes :rolleyes:
Original post by womanonamission
Guys this is probably a really silly question.

The uni's want to see our certificates and take a copy of them.

Can these copies be in black and white?

Thanks

I have photocopied my certificates in black and white, I don't think it will be an issue as they will also see the original documents.
Reply 4362
Hi everyone

I got an email from one of my offers stating that they will send me formal offer email' after the xmas holiday but that they sent me an email before xmas saying I was successful before xmas. Does that mean my 6 week to pass numeracy skills tests once I receive that formal email or did it start when I got the first email saying I've been successful? Thanks x
Anyone else been rejected for secondary English pgce Manchester uni?
Reply 4364
Original post by cinderella25
"what makes a good secondary foreign languages lesson?" I have to do a presentation about that and am finding it extremely difficult to prepare for it. it is making me very anxious! :s-smilie:

What is your presentation based on?

You could talk about how MFL lessons should be fear free(focus on communication, not errors), make language learning fun and engaging, also how teachers could include boys (as girls usually perform better in languages), how the teacher obviously needs to have good language skills, but also teach intercultural understanding(in almost all lessons), or how exchanges etc could boost motivation etc etc....just a few ideas :smile:
Does anybody know if you are allowed to take notes into the 1 on 1 interview? Surely we are allowed to take some, at least with questions on them?

(Particularly for St. Mary's Twickenham)

Thank you
Reply 4366
Does anybody know if you are allowed to take notes into the 1 on 1 interview? Surely we are allowed to take some, at least with questions on them?

Thank you

I don't know about whether you'd be actually ALLOWED to take notes in. I had some things in my bag to bring out to show them, e.g. notes from observations, but never got them out.

I personally would advise against taking notes in. Not because I think they expect you to have a super memory, but because they want to see your genuine, honest answers. They aren't going to mind if you take a few moments to consider your answer, as that shows you are taking it seriously. They don't want a rehearsal, they just want to talk to you and get to know you!

Well that's my opinion anyway. Some may disagree or have had different experiences with different interviewers.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
I don't know about whether you'd be actually ALLOWED to take notes in. I had some things in my bag to bring out to show them, e.g. notes from observations, but never got them out.

I personally would advise against taking notes in. Not because I think they expect you to have a super memory, but because they want to see your genuine, honest answers. They aren't going to mind if you take a few moments to consider your answer, as that shows you are taking it seriously. They don't want a rehearsal, they just want to talk to you and get to know you!

Well that's my opinion anyway. Some may disagree or have had different experiences with different interviewers.

xxx

Hi hun,

Thank you for your reply :smile:.

xx
Has anyone got an upcoming interview or had an interview already at Goldsmiths for Primary PGCE? If so, how long did it take them to offer you an interview?
Got an interview this Friday and next Monday, I was just wondering what people wore (trivial issues haha)

I am applying for early years, I want to be comfortable and I have to do a task with year 2 children.

Do you think a just above knee length black dress with a blue print, thick tights, black flats, black blazer would be ok? Or should I stick to shirt and trousers, I just feel so uncomfy and awkward in trousers, I never wear them!

Thank you

Do you mean with questions on to ask the interviewers? Personally I wouldn't. If you have a few questions to ask at the end of the interview, I'd just try to memorise them before you go in.
Original post by bellylaugh
Do you mean with questions on to ask the interviewers? Personally I wouldn't. If you have a few questions to ask at the end of the interview, I'd just try to memorise them before you go in.

Ok great thanks :smile:.

Thinking about it I should probably ask questions earlier on in the day as the 1-1 interviews are very short because they have lots of people to see!

I keep confusing this with a job interview lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4372
Hi hun,

Thank you for your reply :smile:.

xx

No problem. It's easy to panic and think about learning the answers to different questions, especially when reading threads like this about what everyone else is doing! But as long as you know your experience well and have read in to what interests you you should be fine!

I'd say you might still get asked at the end of the 1-1 'Do you have any questions?' but you should be able to remember a few, even if not it's not like 'INSTANT REJECT' for not having any straight away. Just ask something that genuinely interests you, it could be quite a simple thing about how the course works - doesn't have to be really clever or based on educational theory or anything.

xxx
Ok great thanks :smile:.

Thinking about it I should probably ask questions earlier on in the day as the 1-1 interviews are very short because they have lots of people to see!

I keep confusing this with a job interview lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes my one-to-one interview (well one-to three) was pretty brief. They literally read through a list of questions that they had written down in front of them. There wasn't any time to really discuss anything in depth and they didn't follow up on anything I mentioned in my answers....just went on to the next question. I guess this ensures that they ask every candidate exactly the same questions. Compared to every job interview I've had in my life, it was a walk in the park!
Yes my one-to-one interview (well one-to three) was pretty brief. They literally read through a list of questions that they had written down in front of them. There wasn't any time to really discuss anything in depth and they didn't follow up on anything I mentioned in my answers....just went on to the next question. I guess this ensures that they ask every candidate exactly the same questions. Compared to every job interview I've had in my life, it was a walk in the park!

What kind of questions were you asked?
Original post by Amy Williams
What kind of questions were you asked?

Why do you want to be a teacher?
What three qualities do you believe you need to make a good teacher?
Name a time when you demonstrated perseverance?
Imagine you had been teaching your class for a year, at the end of that year, what one thing would you like them to have learnt?
Do you have a preference for KS1 or KS2?
Do you have a good support network at home?
Are you aware of current educational issues?

Then just a load of 'tick box' questions such as:
Have you passed your skills tests?
Do you have any criminal convictions?
Have you ever started a PGCE course before?
Do you have a car to be able to travel to different placements?

Overall interview was less than 20 mins I'd say.
Why do you want to be a teacher?
What three qualities do you believe you need to make a good teacher?
Name a time when you demonstrated perseverance?
Imagine you had been teaching your class for a year, at the end of that year, what one thing would you like them to have learnt?
Do you have a preference for KS1 or KS2?
Do you have a good support network at home?
Are you aware of current educational issues?

Then just a load of 'tick box' questions such as:
Have you passed your skills tests?
Do you have any criminal convictions?
Have you ever started a PGCE course before?
Do you have a car to be able to travel to different placements?

Overall interview was less than 20 mins I'd say.
Thanks. What uni was this x
Reply 4377
This is a bit random but does anyone know an artist that I could use for a key stage one class revolving art work based on the seaside? Or do you think random pictures of sea side art will be ok ? (This is for just for a plan for my interview).. Just I'd prefer to look at a specific artist as it links into the curriculum but i don't know any lol! Any suggestions would be very helpful!!! If not I'll just go with random pic off google haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amy Williams
Thanks. What uni was this x

This was for a School Direct Salaried role.
Good luck!
Hi,
does anyone know how to use apply 2? does anyone have a link to apply 2 (to actually apply not the ucas info?
thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending