The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
Original post by snowyowl
I think it was the romance with Madame de Pompadour. I have always held the view that the Doctor should be asexual and aromantic.

This was one of the few times when I was fine with this. I think because it was rather one sided, but she didn't moon over him á la Martha.
I actually thought the Girl in the Fireplace episode was an awful episode, but it seems I'm the only one :erm:

Interesting. I thought Rose and Micky were a little useless as they often are and that smashing mirrors of time could have been better but i thought the writing and acting was exceptional.
Reply 3122
I think it was the romance with Madame de Pompadour. I have always held the view that the Doctor should be asexual and aromantic.

You must have hated "The Day of the Doctor" then.
Reply 3123
Original post by Rakas21
Interesting. I thought Rose and Micky were a little useless as they often are and that smashing mirrors of time could have been better but i thought the writing and acting was exceptional.

You're very right. Arthur the horse though. Who doesn't love a horse called Arthur?
Original post by chernid
You must have hated "The Day of the Doctor" then.

I hated that aspect of it, yes.
Original post by Dalek1099
Moffat's obsession and toning everything down to kids level with hardly any deaths is bad for Doctor Who.

I agree, this is one of Moffat's biggest problems and not just with Dalek stories. Since he took over the show there have been no consequences for any of the characters' actions. He relies far too heavily on the big reset button.
Reply 3126

So did i. That's genuinely why i hate the rose era.
I mean i loved the episodes don't get me wrong but i had a feeling it would pave the way for a doctor with feeling :puke:. And it did. :frown:

Plus now i've been watching the Colin baker era (thanks to his cameo) and i have to say i like the subtext joke of this alien is flying around all these amazing places and plays her (peri's) knight in shining armour but he's just not interested. :eek: its a plot device that never gets old/less funny. :biggrin:
A more recent example of this is martha.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by randomd_love
So did i. That's genuinely why i hate the rose era.
I mean i loved the episodes don't get me wrong but i had a feeling it would pave the way for a doctor with feeling :puke:. And it did. :frown:

Plus now i've been watching the Colin baker era (thanks to his cameo) and i have to say i like the subtext joke of this alien is flying around all these amazing places and plays her (peri's) knight in shining armour but he's just not interested. :eek: its a plot device that never gets old/less funny. :biggrin:
A more recent example of this is martha.

I just feel the "sexual" aspect of the show has brought it downhill. It's not the only thing that brings the show down but it's definitely a huge factor.

Why are the British public so... I don't even know the word I'm looking for, but why are most people unable to enjoy a drama about space and aliens and one man saving the day through sheer intelligence and awesomeness (and a little bit of charm) without there also being something sexual? Why does he need to kiss his companions? Who do they need to fancy him? Why must he fall in love with Rose? Why? It really ruins the show for me.
I just feel the "sexual" aspect of the show has brought it downhill. It's not the only thing that brings the show down but it's definitely a huge factor.

Why are the British public so... I don't even know the word I'm looking for, but why are most people unable to enjoy a drama about space and aliens and one man saving the day through sheer intelligence and awesomeness (and a little bit of charm) without there also being something sexual? Why does he need to kiss his companions? Who do they need to fancy him? Why must he fall in love with Rose? Why? It really ruins the show for me.

While I agree that the sexual/romantic aspects of the show should be toned down a lot, and I don't think the Doctor should have any more love interests, I'm not sure you can put this down to the British public. Or not completely at least. The public don't get to decide what goes into the show, the show runners do. They do respond to public reactions, but the choices are ultimately theirs.
Original post by Feefifofum
While I agree that the sexual/romantic aspects of the show should be toned down a lot, and I don't think the Doctor should have any more love interests, I'm not sure you can put this down to the British public. Or not completely at least. The public don't get to decide what goes into the show, the show runners do. They do respond to public reactions, but the choices are ultimately theirs.

I was always under the impression that they put on the show the sort of thing the British public respond best to, based on other shows on at the time. Perhaps I'm wrong :dontknow:

Either way someone is ultimately to blame for this and I'm not happy! :hitler:
I was always under the impression that they put on the show the sort of thing the British public respond best to, based on other shows on at the time. Perhaps I'm wrong :dontknow:

Either way someone is ultimately to blame for this and I'm not happy! :hitler:

I'm not sure. I'm sure they gauge reactions and try to do more of what people like, but only up to a point. The public response to the Donna/Doctor relationship was extremely positive, but straight away we went back to complicated love stories.

I agree, it doesn't sit well within the Whoniverse. I also think that if the River Song story is to have any weight, the Doctor needs not to have any other love interests. He married her, and we're supposed to think that they have this great, epic love story - yet he's off flirting with every Tom, Dick, and Harry (and their female equivalents). :grumble:
Original post by Feefifofum
I'm not sure. I'm sure they gauge reactions and try to do more of what people like, but only up to a point. The public response to the Donna/Doctor relationship was extremely positive, but straight away we went back to complicated love stories.

I agree, it doesn't sit well within the Whoniverse. I also think that if the River Song story is to have any weight, the Doctor needs not to have any other love interests. He married her, and we're supposed to think that they have this great, epic love story - yet he's off flirting with every Tom, Dick, and Harry (and their female equivalents). :grumble:

Exactly!

I also find it quote patronising, as a viewer, that the BBC seem to assume the only way I'm going to be interested is if there's lots of women being kissed/flirted with by the Doctor every series.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
They dont have to be scary, they just have to be exciting. I didn't think they were scary in Doomsday but that is one of the best Dalek episodes of modern doctor who.

In fact, the only one I can recall being a bit scary with new who was Dalek.

Ever since Moffat took over 90% of the stories have been forgettable and mediocre and all the Dalek stories fit into that 90%.

And yet to me since RTD took over originally 95% of stories he did were forgettable and mediocre.

Yet I love the classic series despite the rubbish special effects even for the time.

I hate when people blame Moffat for everything wrong with Nu Who when I hated the constant in your face bisexual characters in RTD;s run, Rose was a whingy annoying character, martha clingy and whingy, and apart from CE's run I find it almost impossible to go back to any of Tennants run .

I am not saying Moffats run is much better but I like to go back and watch certain episodes more than the previous its more the character of the Dr that doesnt suit the story.

I miss the Classic Daleks that despite not being uber powerful carried more of a threat instead of the powerful modern ones that get beat easily.
Martha Jones is easily the worst companion in the history of the show, her character was just incredibly irritating and unmemorable, I was just annoyed they didn't kill her off tbh.

the specials I thought were really good, people confuse me atm, everyone seems to hate shows I loved :tongue:
Original post by GreenIsTheNewRed
Martha Jones is easily the worst companion in the history of the show, her character was just incredibly irritating and unmemorable, I was just annoyed they didn't kill her off tbh.

the specials I thought were really good, people confuse me atm, everyone seems to hate shows I loved :tongue:

Martha SHOULD of been better than Rose as she had more potential just they never developed her, still rather have her for 2 series than whiny Rose.
Original post by drbluebox
Martha SHOULD of been better than Rose as she had more potential just they never developed her, still rather have her for 2 series than whiny Rose.

Rose was okay, she at least had an interesting interplay with the Doctor(s) she was with, and she actually did stuff herself at times as well, Martha was basically just useless and constantly seemed to just make the Doctor's life harder rather than contributing to the show, the series she was in was easily the worst of Nu Who, it's only saving grace is the Master's return at the end, other than that there is nothing memorable or good about the series imo.
I think with the show coming back after so long, and the Doctor regenerating at the end of just one series, the show needed the companion to stay on for at least one more series, in order to give it some sense of continuity. Although I actually quite liked Rose anyway :p: Martha sucked but some of my favourite episodes are in her series - most notably Blink, although she's barely in that, which definitely helps...
Rose gets such a hard time from some people. At least there was some character development, which is more than I can say for the series since moffat took over. Every single one of his companions have been the same.

I thought Rose was pretty good until she started constantly coming back to her original universe.
Reply 3138

Not the British public but steven moffat. Apparently he masterminded the first romance under rtd and has kept them coming since he took over. but now it seems to be here to stay because of (international audiences) i.e. how well the show is doing in America. Which is a shame

From other forums a lot of who fans say the same thing - can we have a companion relationship like when it was the dr and donna or early rose; because they weren't tainted with a silly love storyline, it was just an alien and a mate he picked up from earth to go travelling through space as you do :biggrin:

Edit: i think they're going to have a much harder time with regards to capaldi's doctor and love. He's surely going to be too old for clara right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by randomd_love
Not the British public but steven moffat. Apparently he masterminded the first romance under rtd and has kept them coming since he took over. but now it seems to be here to stay because of (international audiences) i.e. how well the show is doing in America. Which is a shame

From other forums a lot of who fans say the same thing - can we have a companion relationship like when it was the dr and donna or early rose; because they weren't tainted with a silly love storyline, it was just an alien and a mate he picked up from earth to go travelling through space as you do :biggrin:

Edit: i think they're going to have a much harder time with regards to capaldi's doctor and love. He's surely going to be too old for clara right?

You'd hope so, but I really wouldn't put anything past Moffat. :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest