The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenIsTheNewRed
Rose was okay, she at least had an interesting interplay with the Doctor(s) she was with, and she actually did stuff herself at times as well, Martha was basically just useless and constantly seemed to just make the Doctor's life harder rather than contributing to the show, the series she was in was easily the worst of Nu Who, it's only saving grace is the Master's return at the end, other than that there is nothing memorable or good about the series imo.

I seriously disagree with this, I thought it was a great series. Smith & Jones was funny, The Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks was a really great double episode, Blink was terrifying, 42 & The Lazarus experiment were pretty cool and then ending with The Master was brilliant. I thought the series after was much worse.

Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Rose gets such a hard time from some people. At least there was some character development, which is more than I can say for the series since moffat took over. Every single one of his companions have been the same.

I thought Rose was pretty good until she started constantly coming back to her original universe.

All of this. It was heartbreaking when Rose was sent away without a goodbye, they should have left it at that, or at least at the very end of Doomsday.
Original post by randomd_love

Edit: i think they're going to have a much harder time with regards to capaldi's doctor and love. He's surely going to be too old for clara right?

A lot of women have older boyfriends these days, I was a little creeped out when a 18 year old at uni had a boyfriend aged 40(and they were both nasty pieces of work)
Original post by drbluebox
A lot of women have older boyfriends these days, I was a little creeped out when a 18 year old at uni had a boyfriend aged 40(and they were both nasty pieces of work)

Yes but neither of them is over a thousand years old?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3143
Original post by snowyowl
You'd hope so, but I really wouldn't put anything past Moffat. :sigh:

i know right - it would be super creepy. Capaldi is going to be wasted as the doctor if they start giving him romance storylines.

Original post by drbluebox

But Capaldi looks like an old man - they should utilise this to make a father daughter relationship. Plus like you said it made you cringe when you saw that couple with the age gap - think of the audience's reaction.
Not the British public but steven moffat. Apparently he masterminded the first romance under rtd and has kept them coming since he took over. but now it seems to be here to stay because of (international audiences) i.e. how well the show is doing in America. Which is a shame

From other forums a lot of who fans say the same thing - can we have a companion relationship like when it was the dr and donna or early rose; because they weren't tainted with a silly love storyline, it was just an alien and a mate he picked up from earth to go travelling through space as you do :biggrin:

Edit: i think they're going to have a much harder time with regards to capaldi's doctor and love. He's surely going to be too old for clara right?

I'm assuming they will use Capaldi as an opportunity to have some romance-free storylines (though once the love triangle storyline ended, the doctor's dynamic with Amy/Rory was pretty platonic).

This is the first time since Rose that they've had a companion witness a regeneration, so hopefully they'll explore the interesting consequences of that. Hopefully Capaldi's doctor will have zero romantic interest in Clara, and she'll have to adapt to that.
Reply 3145
Original post by paddyman4
I'm assuming they will use Capaldi as an opportunity to have some romance-free storylines (though once the love triangle storyline ended, the doctor's dynamic with Amy/Rory was pretty platonic).

This is the first time since Rose that they've had a companion witness a regeneration, so hopefully they'll explore the interesting consequences of that. Hopefully Capaldi's doctor will have zero romantic interest in Clara, and she'll have to adapt to that.

I hope so but i don't want a replacement rory and amy situation - i just felt like three was indeed a crowd. Neither Clara or the dr should get love interests. Moffat has the opportunity to take the companion relationship to a new area, so i hope he bloody well uses it.
I'm half expecting there to be a new male companion to fulfil the love interest for Clara in Series 8.
Reply 3147
Original post by DotComBoom
I'm half expecting there to be a new male companion to fulfil the love interest for Clara in Series 8.

So do i :frown: The thing is its either going to be hit or miss. I didn't like rory and amy but i did like mickey and rose (i know this is a rare opinion but i liked it because it didn't go on for very long). I don't think moffat can do three people in the tardis - someone always feels like a third nipple.

I want a male companion!! :fuhrer: NOT a love interest for the doctor - just a mate!
I've wanted it ever since who made me think "maybe james corden isn't such a terrible actor". I loved the chemistry him and matt had in their fleeting episode :daydreaming:
So do i :frown: The thing is its either going to be hit or miss. I didn't like rory and amy but i did like mickey and rose (i know this is a rare opinion but i liked it because it didn't go on for very long). I don't think moffat can do three people in the tardis - someone always feels like a third nipple.

I want a male companion!! :fuhrer: NOT a love interest for the doctor - just a mate!
I've wanted it ever since who made me think "maybe james corden isn't such a terrible actor". I loved the chemistry him and matt had in their fleeting episode :daydreaming:

Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen Corden be a companion with 11 for a few episodes - they really were great together.

I liked Amy and Rory and I liked Rose and Mickey but just having a male mate for the Doctor and Clara could shake things up quite a bit - maybe that male teacher in The Day of the Doctor could fulfil that?
Chat about a potential Master going on on Digital Spy.

Seemingly unsourced, but there is talk about the possibility of

Spoiler

Tbh, even if this is unsolicited nonsense talk, he would be a seriously good Master.
Original post by pinkpenguin
Chat about a potential Master going on on Digital Spy.

Seemingly unsourced, but there is talk about the possibility of

Spoiler

Tbh, even if this is unsolicited nonsense talk, he would be a seriously good Master.

I wondered if they would bring the Master back

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cheese_Monster
I wondered if they would bring the Master back

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's probably due a return at some point.

I like the idea of:

Spoiler

Original post by pinkpenguin
He's probably due a return at some point.

I like the idea of:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
They'll need to find Gallifrey before they can bring back The Master.

So they should probably find it within about five years.
Reply 3154
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
They'll need to find Gallifrey before they can bring back The Master.

So they should probably find it within about five years.

Well, they could always say that the Master escaped Gallifrey somehow through the Crack or another one.
Original post by chernid
Well, they could always say that the Master escaped Gallifrey somehow through the Crack or another one.

Possibly, but I think that it would be a rather underwhelming return as opposed to a return in a blaze of glory, The Master coming through a crack would be both cliched and would just create more plot holes, since the High Council would have to be in the vicinity if he was to.

What would be interesting though is if they introduced Faction Paradox into the series.
Reply 3156
Possibly, but I think that it would be a rather underwhelming return as opposed to a return in a blaze of glory, The Master coming through a crack would be both cliched and would just create more plot holes, since the High Council would have to be in the vicinity if he was to.

What would be interesting though is if they introduced Faction Paradox into the series.

After having just read up on the Faction Paradox, it sounds really creepy and quite exciting. Unfortunately though, I don't think if they came on the show that they would be used effectively. Moffat would either overcomplicate them, or make them "child-friendly" as to not particularly scare them.
I think John Simm's Master should get another crack but on his terms, as a serious, dark character.
Reply 3158

Also, stuff such as the Loom and all that hasn't really been explained in Nu-Who (not sure about classic), either a lot of explanation would have to be in the scripts or not really very much (which may turn the Faction Paradox into just another enemy which happens to have a name of something in other mediums).

I'd say that the most you'd probably get is perhaps a quick mention by a Time Lord sometime in the future once Gallifrey has been returned to the Universe.
Reply 3159
Original post by DotComBoom
Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen Corden be a companion with 11 for a few episodes - they really were great together.

I liked Amy and Rory and I liked Rose and Mickey but just having a male mate for the Doctor and Clara could shake things up quite a bit - maybe that male teacher in The Day of the Doctor could fulfil that?

I do like that idea but i want them to explore the new dr/companion relationship first before they introduce anyone new. I really want to see how this regeneration affects them both.

Quick Reply

Latest