The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys have exams now? I don't have any actual exams till may/June only mocks in a month or so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2301
Original post by hannapoole
Do you guys have exams now? I don't have any actual exams till may/June only mocks in a month or so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had mine before Christmas but think most people have theirs now? My friend doesn't have to do any mocks at all! :eek:
I have mocks all this week. Had maths today *sulks for eternity*, then bio and phys tomorrow and chem on Weds.

It's nice to see you two back on here. How were your Christmas breaks, get up to anything nice? :smile:
Hi, I would just like to ask if the work experience (Vet Surgery, Farms, Lambing, Abattoir, etc.) ask for your National Insurance Number. I haven't applied for my NI Number yet. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sherlock-4869
Hi, I would just like to ask if the work experience (Vet Surgery, Farms, Lambing, Abattoir, etc.) ask for your National Insurance Number. I haven't applied for my NI Number yet. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never been asked for it, and I don't know why any placements would ask unless you're being paid. Even if you were paid, I'd expect it to be cash in hand for farms anyway. I'll admit that on some of the forms I've filled in for wex at vets there was a section to put in my NI number as well as my bank details, but I just put 'N/A' and no questions were asked about it.

For the record, I'm pretty sure you don't have to apply for it. Mine arrived in the post two months before my sixteenth birthday.
EDIT: I just checked, you're right, you do have to apply, my mistake. My mother must have applied for me :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I have mocks all this week. Had maths today *sulks for eternity*, then bio and phys tomorrow and chem on Weds.

It's nice to see you two back on here. How were your Christmas breaks, get up to anything nice? :smile:

Yep I disappeared for a bit sorry! I don't have mocks now til mid February!

I had a pretty good Christmas thanks, was in London over Christmas/new year so it was nice to get away and be free of work etc for a bit!! How was yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2306

Helloo :smile: It's been alright thanks, we're back tomorrow :frown: Mainly been working at the yard, procrastinating and went to the Cotswolds for a couple of days for a break from London :smile: T'was very pretty! Went to the Forest of Dean where HP was filmed so that was rather cool :biggrin:
Trying to get the courage up to phone my local rescue centre and an abattoir in Bristol in search of placements- I hate phone calls agh (doesn't everyone?!) Got a placement at the vet surgery just down my road which should be good :biggrin: aaaand have sent an email to a veterinary laboratory in Vauxhall, I'm really hoping they'll have me for a couple of days as it looks so interesting! Good luck for your mocks, hope Maths went OK :colondollar: - I'm sure you'll do amazingly for all the others!
Well I'd love to see your work if you manage to sort your computer out :h:

Well, y'know. I need to work this evening but on the other hand Sherlock is on and I think we both know which is most important :wink: .

God dammit it was amazing! Sherlock definitely got priority over sleep and chemistry revision :')

and to to you and anyone doing exams, all the best!! I have to repeat AS chem and A2, the joys of having CCEA as a board :unimpressed:
Yep I disappeared for a bit sorry! I don't have mocks now til mid February!

I had a pretty good Christmas thanks, was in London over Christmas/new year so it was nice to get away and be free of work etc for a bit!! How was yours?

In my neck of the woods eh? Where did you stay, were you in Central? Did you see the fireworks? I was going to go and see them, but my friends arrived at 11:00am in order to snag a good spot. I was busy then and I said that I'd meet them later but they had no phone reception and I wasn't gonna start trecking along the South Bank at close to midnight to find them so I didn't go. The next day was pretty funny though. Wayyyy too many people had a bit much to drink. I had to call my first ambulance when a girl collapsed while I was waiting for a bus :redface:

Original post by ABC05
Helloo :smile: It's been alright thanks, we're back tomorrow :frown: Mainly been working at the yard, procrastinating and went to the Cotswolds for a couple of days for a break from London :smile: T'was very pretty! Went to the Forest of Dean where HP was filmed so that was rather cool :biggrin:
Trying to get the courage up to phone my local rescue centre and an abattoir in Bristol in search of placements- I hate phone calls agh (doesn't everyone?!) Got a placement at the vet surgery just down my road which should be good :biggrin: aaaand have sent an email to a veterinary laboratory in Vauxhall, I'm really hoping they'll have me for a couple of days as it looks so interesting! Good luck for your mocks, hope Maths went OK :colondollar: - I'm sure you'll do amazingly for all the others!

Yay a fellow Potterhead! I went to the Warner Bros studio over the holiday which was expensive as balls but super cool! I pretty much spent my life savings in the gift shop, worth it though. I bought plushies of Fawkes and Scabbers (...mad rat lady? Me?) as well as a load of other stuff. Chocolate frogs are fab but Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans are absolutely rancid :hand: .

Oooh, good luck, hope you get the placements you're after! Is this for summer? :smile:

Original post by LadyEcliptic
God dammit it was amazing! Sherlock definitely got priority over sleep and chemistry revision :')

and to to you and anyone doing exams, all the best!! I have to repeat AS chem and A2, the joys of having CCEA as a board :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Aha super good luck to you too! You aced the others so you can do it for chemistry too :wink: Does that mean that you can apply 'grades in hand' next year or will your offers be conditional on only one grade or what?
Reply 2309

Yay a fellow Potterhead! I went to the Warner Bros studio over the holiday which was expensive as balls but super cool! I pretty much spent my life savings in the gift shop, worth it though. I bought plushies of Fawkes and Scabbers (...mad rat lady? Me?) as well as a load of other stuff. Chocolate frogs are fab but Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans are absolutely rancid :hand: .

Oooh, good luck, hope you get the placements you're after! Is this for summer? :smile:

Ooh I'm very jealous- I'd love to go! A couple of my friends have been to the one in Orlando, looks amaaaazing! Haha, I feel you- I get sooo tempted whenever I see cute animal plushies (which usually cost ridiculous amounts of money and aren't going to benefit my life in any shape or form :colondollar:) & Fawkes and Scabbers plushies sound irresistible!! There's a thing going round on Tumblr atm where in Tanzania, rats are being trained to sniff out landmines which is pretty cool- http://vetstudent-microbiologymaniac.tumblr.com/post/72352858398/veterinaryrambles-cynological
Thank you! Most of them are- I just rang up the rescue centre, they don't take anyone under 18 because of insurance :frown: but the guy at the abattoir sounded really lovely and keen, and hopefully I'll be going there straight after lambing in April!
Hey, I know this is really early but if any of you guys have any questions about interviews/application process then feel free to ask :P I've had 2 interviews so far, one panel and one MMI :smile: applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham & RVC :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Ooh I'm very jealous- I'd love to go! A couple of my friends have been to the one in Orlando, looks amaaaazing! Haha, I feel you- I get sooo tempted whenever I see cute animal plushies (which usually cost ridiculous amounts of money and aren't going to benefit my life in any shape or form :colondollar:) & Fawkes and Scabbers plushies sound irresistible!! There's a thing going round on Tumblr atm where in Tanzania, rats are being trained to sniff out landmines which is pretty cool- http://vetstudent-microbiologymaniac.tumblr.com/post/72352858398/veterinaryrambles-cynological
Thank you! Most of them are- I just rang up the rescue centre, they don't take anyone under 18 because of insurance :frown: but the guy at the abattoir sounded really lovely and keen, and hopefully I'll be going there straight after lambing in April!

My friend's been to the Orlando one as well, she bought be a time turner and a chocolate frog pin badge :biggrin: I wuvs my plushies, the Scabbers one is really realistic, I kept him on the dining table for a couple of days and every time my mother walked into the room she thought that one of our real ratties had escaped :lol: . Later I threw Scabbers at her and she screamed and then burst out laughing :tongue:

I've seen that! :biggrin: That's one of my favourite vetty Tumblr blogs :biggrin: I'm a fan of APOPO HeroRATs on Facebook because I need as many ways as possible to satisfy my ratty addiction :yep: . What's your Tumblr, if you don't mind me asking? I'll follow you :tongue:

Ahh, pity about the rescue centre but good to hear about the lambing and abattoir work :biggrin:
Reply 2312
My friend's been to the Orlando one as well, she bought be a time turner and a chocolate frog pin badge :biggrin: I wuvs my plushies, the Scabbers one is really realistic, I kept him on the dining table for a couple of days and every time my mother walked into the room she thought that one of our real ratties had escaped :lol: . Later I threw Scabbers at her and she screamed and then burst out laughing :tongue:

I've seen that! :biggrin: That's one of my favourite vetty Tumblr blogs :biggrin: I'm a fan of APOPO HeroRATs on Facebook because I need as many ways as possible to satisfy my ratty addiction :yep: . What's your Tumblr, if you don't mind me asking? I'll follow you :tongue:

Ahh, pity about the rescue centre but good to hear about the lambing and abattoir work :biggrin:

:eek: baaddd LTC, that's very unkind! :wink: I shall pm you it :biggrin:
Original post by ABC05
:eek: baaddd LTC, that's very unkind! :wink: I shall pm you it :biggrin:

Could have been worse :lol:
In my neck of the woods eh? Where did you stay, were you in Central? Did you see the fireworks? I was going to go and see them, but my friends arrived at 11:00am in order to snag a good spot. I was busy then and I said that I'd meet them later but they had no phone reception and I wasn't gonna start trecking along the South Bank at close to midnight to find them so I didn't go. The next day was pretty funny though. Wayyyy too many people had a bit much to drink. I had to call my first ambulance when a girl collapsed while I was waiting for a bus :redface:

Yeah I stayed in kennington, my cousins at southbank uni studying nursing so she's living down there at the moment and her place is pretty nice! We went and saw the fireworks, much more incredible watching them in real life then on tv every year!!
Yeah it was very amusing walking around seeing so many people looking almost dead (i may have been one of them too) but I definitely put my safety first, would not of liked to be in the position of that poor girl!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I stayed in kennington, my cousins at southbank uni studying nursing so she's living down there at the moment and her place is pretty nice! We went and saw the fireworks, much more incredible watching them in real life then on tv every year!!
Yeah it was very amusing walking around seeing so many people looking almost dead (i may have been one of them too) but I definitely put my safety first, would not of liked to be in the position of that poor girl!

It was insane on the Underground apparently. There was a mahoosive fight somewhere and a few people were arrested. My friends didn't get home until 4:00 am, so I guess it was kinda good that I didn't go considering that I was working the next day and had to be up at 6:00 :tongue: .

I'm glad that you got back safely, anyway :h:

Spoiler

Aha super good luck to you too! You aced the others so you can do it for chemistry too :wink: Does that mean that you can apply 'grades in hand' next year or will your offers be conditional on only one grade or what?

But his speech was so beautiful :')

Thank you, and good luck with the rest of your mocks!
Ah but you see the other 2 you could waffle through, unfortunately with ever changing mark schemes I can't afford to waffle :unimpressed:

thats the plan if these results go well, fingers crossed for interviews at least! It's a bit hard to take in that we'll be applying this year!
Original post by LadyEcliptic
But his speech was so beautiful :')

Thank you, and good luck with the rest of your mocks!
Ah but you see the other 2 you could waffle through, unfortunately with ever changing mark schemes I can't afford to waffle :unimpressed:

thats the plan if these results go well, fingers crossed for interviews at least! It's a bit hard to take in that we'll be applying this year!

Beautiful in a Sherlocky way I suppose :h:

What subjects did you say you did last year? Unfortunately I did all sciency subjects (...idiot) so there's not much room for me to go all waffley apart from in bio I suppose. I feel hard done by if I have to do a 6-mark question so when I hear my friends discussing their 15-mark questions and essays I breathe a sigh of relief :tongue:

Eeeek! I know. I still need to actually decide what I want to apply for too :/ I've been looking into biovet along with biochem, bioengineering and normal bio, but I'm no closer to making up my mind :s-smilie:
The RVC put this up on Facey B today: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/07/how-to-write-personal-statement-veterinary-science?commentpage=1 It's nowhere near as good as Skatealexia's one, but still worth a read so I thought I'd sahre in case anyone hasn't seen it yet :smile:

They also have a link to some summer courses at the RVC and Notts, if anyone is interested.
The RVC put this up on Facey B today: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/07/how-to-write-personal-statement-veterinary-science?commentpage=1 It's nowhere near as good as Skatealexia's one, but still worth a read so I thought I'd sahre in case anyone hasn't seen it yet :smile:

They also have a link to some summer courses at the RVC and Notts, if anyone is interested.

Tbh it's just like a watered down version of the sticky tbh. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending