The Student Room Group

HELP! Dropped out of uni 2nd year, how much I pay back?

Hi there everyone,

So basically I started Nottm Trent uni back in 2012/13 studying Computer Forensic & Security and completed my 1st year. Although I just scrapped by, I had to retake an exam in my second year which was in November 2013 as I needed the credit points from the module (as I failed it). As I was so busy with preparing for that exam, I fell SO behind in my other work and I can honestly say I know I would fail the rest of my second year. Therefore I decided to withdraw on 6th December'13. So now I have officially dropped out of uni.

I am living at home with parents so I haven't taken out no source of finance at all except the maintenance grant (full £3,354). I feel really down because my parents have paid cash straight up to uni/finance for my uni fees and it feels like I've let them down. So i've got a couple of questions..

1) First of all, will I have to pay back anything from the 1st year? (Again, took out only maintenance grant of £3,250 and additionally received a NTU scholarship of £1,400) Total tution fee was £8,500 for 1st year.

2) As for the second year, am i entitled to keep any of the maintenance grant because I received my second installment in my bank just a couple of days ago of £1,118. Student finance know I have withdrawn as the letter states the uni contacted them but haven't stated anything regarding the situation of the grant.

3) As for the first installment, I'd imagine I will have to pay that back right? If so is it the full amount and would it be the case of paying it back straight away or only after im earning over £21,000)

4) As for the remaining tution fees will they have to be paid straight away or again after im earning £21,000)

--- Also
Im hoping to apply for a similar course this year 2014/15 but in terms of my finance will i be given full funds again or just partials of it?

Thanks alot guys!
I think (but not entirely sure) that you will have to pay back anything that you have received for this semester straight away - as you have dropped out and haven't completed any of it, so therefore don't need the money (or not for the purpose it's designed for, anyway).

The rest, for the semesters you've actually completed, should be along with the normal repayment terms.

The best thing to do would be to contact SFE, as it depends on when you dropped out, when it was made official, etc.
All money for the coming term must be paid back.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies guys!

What I dont understand is why do I have to pay back for my first term!? (£2,356) £1,118 of it is through a grant whilst the rest being the money my family paid for. WHY should I be paying for something that I had originally paid for? Surely im eligble for a refund of what my family spent in the first term?
Reply 4
Original post by 99997866
What I dont understand is why do I have to pay back for my first term!? (£2,356) £1,118 of it is through a grant whilst the rest being the money my family paid for. WHY should I be paying for something that I had originally paid for? Surely im eligble for a refund of what my family spent in the first term?

It depends what that repayment is for. Who is asking for the repayment - the uni or Student Finance?

If you drop out, then Student Finance Maintenance Grants will be repayable in full as soon as you drop out.

If the money was an SF Maintenance Loan or Tuition Fee Loan, then those would always have been repayable, but should be deducted from wages once you start earning above the repayment threshold.

If your family paid your Tuition Fees then you're dealing with th uni rather than Student Finance. The only repayment would be to Student Finance if they had provided a Tuition Fee Loan. If SF aren't involved, then you need to check your university's financial small print. You may be required to pay a percentage of the year's tuition fee, which might be more than one term's worth. It's not necessarily a pro rata payment.

In principle, you won't get a refund of tuition fees for the first term as you've already had the tuition and access to university facilities. The service paid for, has been provided. You can't give that back, so you still need to pay for it.

Bursaries and grants provided by the uni are also likely to be repayable in full as soon as you drop out.

Basically, you need to go back to whichever organisation sent you the repayment demand, and get them to explain it to you.
Reply 5
Right I see.. well I've had several letters since reposting this. First of all whats the difference (if any) between the SLC and student finance or are they exact same?

From the letter ive received from Student Finance, it says "The total amount to be paid to you: £892". On the next page (Your student finance breakdown).. it says "Amount you need to pay to your university or college: £1775.00". Thats for the tuition fees. As for the grants, my "Outstanding Grant Overpayment is £1344.00". So from what I understand from this.. I am due back £892.. And the amount I have to pay back in TOTAL is £3119.. is this correct??

As from the SLC, i received a letter from them about my overpaid grant. So to them I have to pay back the £1344. Do I have to pay this back straightaway? If I can't, then what happens?

And finally the university are asking back £1775.. where has that come from exactly? And what if I cant repay that back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 6
Original post by 99997866
Right I see.. well I've had several letters since reposting this. First of all whats the difference (if any) between the SLC and student finance or are they exact same?

Essentially they're the same thing. The SLC is the financial body which manages the financial side of the Student Finance system

From the letter ive received from Student Finance, it says "The total amount to be paid to you: £892". On the next page (Your student finance breakdown).. it says "Amount you need to pay to your university or college: £1775.00". Thats for the tuition fees. As for the grants, my "Outstanding Grant Overpayment is £1344.00". So from what I understand from this.. I am due back £892.. And the amount I have to pay back in TOTAL is £3119.. is this correct??

I would also understand from the info above, that you owe a total of £3119. This comprises £1775 to your university and £1344 to SLC. And that you will be refunded £892.

As from the SLC, i received a letter from them about my overpaid grant. So to them I have to pay back the £1344. Do I have to pay this back straightaway? If I can't, then what happens?

According to the agreement that you signed, you will theoretically be expected to repay this in full, now. However in practice most people find that the money has already been spent and they can't repay immediately. i understand that the SLC will negotiate a gradual repayment plan, but this is done on an individual basis at their discretion. You need to contact the SLC to find out whether they will agree to the gradual repayment of the £1344.

And finally the university are asking back £1775.. where has that come from exactly? And what if I cant repay that back?

You need to contact the university department which sent the letter, explain your situation and ask for clarification. If your 2013/14 Tuition Fees were paid in full for the year up front by your parents, then you may not actually owe the university anything.

If you do owe them money, then they may negotiate a repayment plan. It will be up to the individual university though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending