The Student Room Group

Criminology or forensic science with psychology degree

Basically what the title says I want to do joint honours psychology and would like to know pros and cons of doing either criminology or forensic science with it as I am interested in both and have no idea which one of the two to do
Original post by Aneesah_May
Basically what the title says I want to do joint honours psychology and would like to know pros and cons of doing either criminology or forensic science with it as I am interested in both and have no idea which one of the two to do

They are really quite different degrees. Criminology is more of a social science, and forensic science is a physical science where you learn biology/chemistry and necessary lab skills for working at crime scenes. You may also need to do post-graduate to become a forensic scientist. In terms of the pros and cons it is really up to you which one you will enjoy more. pro: Criminology will be more applicable to psychology. con: forensic science jobs are hard to get and usually require post graduate study (which also needs to be paid for!)
(edited 10 years ago)
You might want to compare the course content of a criminology degree and a forensic science degree to see what interests you more: http://www2.le.ac.uk/study/ugp/criminology/m930 http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc_hons_forensic_science.php
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson
They are really quite different degrees. Criminology is more of a social science, and forensic science is a physical science where you learn biology/chemistry and necessary lab skills for working at crime scenes. You may also need to do post-graduate to become a forensic scientist. In terms of the pros and cons it is really up to you which one you will enjoy more. pro: Criminology will be more applicable to psychology. con: forensic science jobs are hard to get and usually require post graduate study (which also needs to be paid for!)

Thanks for the reply. I know they are different but I am interested in the contents of both. Also when you say you have to pay for the postgraduate is that £9000 upfront cant you get student loans
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aneesah_May
Thanks for the reply. I know they are different but I am interested in the contents of both. Also when you say you have to pay for the postgraduate is that £9000 upfront cant you get student loans

Depends. I don't know if you really have to do post graduate to get these jobs (this is what one site said). For post graduate you can apply for funding to get paid to do research (phd) but you usually pay for a masters, which can vary from £3000-9000 but for some reason ive seen quite low fees for some masters courses. You don't get a student loan for post grad. Also, to do post graduate study you've got to be far more committed than at undergraduate, and its harder to get into (especially for funded phds).

Quick Reply

Latest