The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Good. Glad you enjoyed the break. I don't get half term, so Easter is my next break. Long term ahead.

Why don't you get half term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Why don't you get half term? Good luck!

Original post by qwerty_mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm working in Spain. As Easter is late this year, I only get one public holiday between now and then. Best get my coping techniques ready since I have a feeling it's going to be a steep learning curve.

Good luck everyone.
Reply 2742
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Why don't you get half term? Good luck!

Original post by qwerty_mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see that the poster is in Spain but many PGCEs don't give half terms- they run uni during that time. Though even those do someone's have a study day or two in there, or have assignment presentations/mentor meetings etc so you aren't in the whole time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I think I got one half-term as "reading week" for assignment preparation, but another one (in the middle of placement) was a week in uni, as we'd been on placement for about 10 weeks (including the Easter holidays) by that point. It was annoying not getting a proper break (though I think we only had 2 and a half days in uni) but it was probably a good idea really as a lot of people felt quite isolated after so long on placement
Hello, can I please have some good news stories from those who are currently on the pgce courses, I really need it at this stage (someone who has just put an application for a pgce primary).
What I'd give to have a reading week during half term!
My Uni has us in 9-5 every day for half term - I can't wait for Easter!
Original post by Smartypantsj
Hello, can I please have some good news stories from those who are currently on the pgce courses, I really need it at this stage (someone who has just put an application for a pgce primary).

You need good news stories already? You haven't even started! haha.
All I can say is the kids are brilliant, funny and full of personality. They can really brighten up your day, but they can also rain on your parade so its a mixed bag really. Your training year is extremely stressful, tiring and you will feel like you want to quit at least once. I ain't sugar coating it. BUT, there are always upsides and your first positive lesson feedback will feel amazing. And from then on its up and onwards :smile:
Original post by Shelly_x
You need good news stories already? You haven't even started! haha.
All I can say is the kids are brilliant, funny and full of personality. They can really brighten up your day, but they can also rain on your parade so its a mixed bag really. Your training year is extremely stressful, tiring and you will feel like you want to quit at least once. I ain't sugar coating it. BUT, there are always upsides and your first positive lesson feedback will feel amazing. And from then on its up and onwards :smile:
Thanks Shelly, this is what I need to hear lol. I hear all the time its stressful beyond belief so I thought it would be nice to hear the good!
Currently having a I can't do this meltdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Currently having a I can't do this meltdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come?
Original post by Shelly_x
How come?

I start back tomorrow and I feel so anxious about it. Doubts are creeping in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry :smile: I'm sure it won't be as bad as you're imagining it to be.
Reply 2752

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't panic. You can do it.

Trust me everyone feels like this before they start back... you start to doubt yourself and think you honestly can't do it. I am an NQT and was panicking the other day... the kids started back today and now I'm fine! And so happy to be back teaching them!

And yesterday at our training day my head said about the same feelings. So trust me, feeling nervous/like you can't do it before you start back is NOT an indication that you actually can't do it. It's pretty much how all teachers feel!

xxx
Reply 2753
Been having a really bad day, doubting myself and think can I do this?

But just found this thread on google and spent the last hour reading the last 10 pages or so.

Nice to know I'm not the only one stressing, doubting and worrying. Whenever my course meets up everyone seems happy as Larry, making me think I'm the only one.

feeling much better now :smile:
Original post by JDBlue
Been having a really bad day, doubting myself and think can I do this?

But just found this thread on google and spent the last hour reading the last 10 pages or so.

Nice to know I'm not the only one stressing, doubting and worrying. Whenever my course meets up everyone seems happy as Larry, making me think I'm the only one.

feeling much better now :smile:

People on your course probably feel the same too, don't worry. I know on my PGCE last year we generally relaxed and had a laugh a lot more when we met up, even though most of us were finding it pretty tough.

It's doable, just keep going. :smile:
I felt exactly the same all yesterday and this morning. I just had this massive feeling of dread and panic. I felt absolutely sick this morning when the alarm went off at 6 and was so nervous walking into the staff room. I have no idea why! I think just being away from it for a while meant it felt like I was starting all over again.

Had my year 7 class and it went really well, they seemed really engaged and a few even asked if they could take my 'Shakespeare Insult' resource home with them! A few behaviour things to work on but felt good after it.

Some of the staff were a bit cold towards me which is unusual but hey ho, only 5 and a bit weeks left in this school.

Feel like I know what I'm doing next week but a bit disappointed to find some of the classes I thought I was going to be teaching, the teachers have said they will take instead. Less work for me but more staff room boredom at times!
Reply 2756
Original post by Steveluis10
I felt exactly the same all yesterday and this morning. I just had this massive feeling of dread and panic. I felt absolutely sick this morning when the alarm went off at 6 and was so nervous walking into the staff room. I have no idea why! I think just being away from it for a while meant it felt like I was starting all over again.

Had my year 7 class and it went really well, they seemed really engaged and a few even asked if they could take my 'Shakespeare Insult' resource home with them! A few behaviour things to work on but felt good after it.

Some of the staff were a bit cold towards me which is unusual but hey ho, only 5 and a bit weeks left in this school.

Feel like I know what I'm doing next week but a bit disappointed to find some of the classes I thought I was going to be teaching, the teachers have said they will take instead. Less work for me but more staff room boredom at times!

I wouldn't worry or read too much in to this. Teaching is, as you know, a very stressful profession. It's easy to just get so worn out and have it affect the attitude you give off to others, so someone may seem off, annoyed, cold etc when in reality they're just tired and stressed and their 'social thoughts' are kind of shutting down so they can focus on just getting through!

I'd have a positive interaction with them if you can to make you both feel better... chat about home life or something. It's worth it even if you have many other things to do because it really helps you feel less alone.

xxx
Yeah that's true; sometimes I know I could have made a better effort but a lot of the time I'm that tired mentally that I just sit there staring in to space lost in my own world!

There's only about one or two staff I genuinely think are great people and get on with well, one never ever comes the staff room now though and just locks himself in his room and stays there all day. I think I would do the same sometimes.

My mentor and teachers whose classes I take are fine and I've never had a disagreement with them, just not particularly warm people or easy to talk to. I'm still going to get them gifts when I leave though.
Hey, I have my second placement in February but I'm free until then so I arranged some volunteer work at my auntie's school. She's just told me that there will be some unqualified supply work for me whilst I'm there too and I'm terrified. I've not taught in 6 months and I've never done supply. Has anyone done supply before and have any idea what to expect/what I should prepare? It's in an infant school will be reception and ks1. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Steveluis10
Yeah that's true; sometimes I know I could have made a better effort but a lot of the time I'm that tired mentally that I just sit there staring in to space lost in my own world!

There's only about one or two staff I genuinely think are great people and get on with well, one never ever comes the staff room now though and just locks himself in his room and stays there all day. I think I would do the same sometimes.

My mentor and teachers whose classes I take are fine and I've never had a disagreement with them, just not particularly warm people or easy to talk to. I'm still going to get them gifts when I leave though.

I'd sum up my relationship with my mentor like that. We had no rifts, nothing, but we weren't the best of buddies or anywhere near to it. That said, we were professional and we always did our best for the kids. I liked him though. He was serious about his job and gave me a nice report at the end.

There was however one member of staff I could see myself being friends with. He's a NQT at the school so quite young and very down to earth.

But I've realised it's part and parcel if a school - we're never gonna be buddies with all our colleagues. Some yes, some we'll just say hi and bye, some we won't even acknowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending