The Student Room Group

Definition of Love Debate

Once a co-worker of mine said to me, "In islam, you're not allowed to have a girlfriend right?" I said, "Yes, that's true." So she says, "See, that's what I don't like about islam. How can you not be boyfriend and girlfriend? You have to date in order to get to know and love each other."

So I say to her, "Don't you have a son?" She replies, "Yes." "Two of them, right?" Again she says, "yes." "And a mother, right?" She says, "Yes." "And even a best friend?" She says, "Yes." Then I ask, "Do you know and love them all?" And she says, "Yes of course I do." So I ask, "Did you date any of them?" She looks at me as if I cursed at her and emphatically says, "No!! What kind of stuff is that!! Dating my sons and mother!! And my best friend is a female and I don't go that way!"

Then I say "But I thought you had to date a person and become boyfriend and girlfriend to get to know and love a person?" Now she gets the picture, and smiles.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Fatihah
Once a co-worker of mine said to me, "In islam, you're not allowed to have a girlfriend right?" I said, "Yes, that's true." So she says, "See, that's what I don't like about islam. How can you not be boyfriend and girlfriend? You have to date in order to get to know and love each other."

So I say to her, "Don't you have a son?" She replies, "Yes." "Two of them, right?" Again she says, "yes." "And a mother, right?" She says, "Yes." "And even a best friend?" She says, "Yes." Then I ask, "Do you know and love them all?" And she says, "Yes of course I do." So I ask, "Did you date any of them?" She looks at me as if I cursed at her and emphatically says, "No!! What kind of stuff is that!! Dating my sons and mother!! And my best friend is a female and I don't go that way!"

Then I say "But I thought you had to date a person and become boyfriend and girlfriend to get to know and love a person?" Now she gets the picture, and smiles.

You do realise there are different types of love right? People love their offspring and parents in a different way to how they'd love a friend or a partner - Familial love is different to platonic love, which is different from romantic love. To love someone in a romantic way you need to spend time with them, to date and get to know them completely.

And are any of these stories true?
Reply 2
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You do realise there are different types of love right? People love their offspring and parents in a different way to how they'd love a friend or a partner - Familial love is different to platonic love, which is different from romantic love. To love someone in a romantic way you need to spend time with them, to date and get to know them completely.

And are any of these stories true?

Response: There is no different kinds of love. All love is the same, yet expressed differently.

And yes, every story is 100% true and happened in my life. :-)
Response: There is no different kinds of love. All love is the same, yet expressed differently.

And yes, every story is 100% true and happened in my life. :-)

No, there are different types of love - for a starter parental love is unconditionally, it's based off the desire to protect your offspring until they are capable of fending for themselves whereas romantic love is based off attraction. The two don't have the same basis.

You don't love a friend the way you love a partner - romantic love is sexual by nature and differs greatly from the platonic love between friends which is based around social bonding, not protection (familial love) or attraction (romantic love).

Well in that case you have some pretty ignorant co-workers - I could give you a response easy enough to most of them:

So I looked at him and said,"So you mean that you won't eat a filthy animal like a rat but you would when it comes to chicken. What's the difference"?

Rats are vermin prone to carry disease - they're not just unclean like chickens; not eating rat is more about health than them being filthy.

So I say to her, "Well what can be more beneficial to people than food?"

Take Maslows Heirachy of Needs - Food is level with air, water, sex, sleep in the physiological section (the base of the pyramid): food is not more beneficial than anything else.

Not even your bible. In other words, though christianity may say and support the idea of one man and one woman as well as other religions, none of their religious books say so except the qur'an. Did you know that?"

Untrue:

Deuteronomy 17:17 - Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Exodus 20:17 17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife [Singular], or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s
Reply 4
No, there are different types of love - for a starter parental love is unconditionally, it's based off the desire to protect your offspring until they are capable of fending for themselves whereas romantic love is based off attraction. The two don't have the same basis.

You don't love a friend the way you love a partner - romantic love is sexual by nature and differs greatly from the platonic love between friends which is based around social bonding, not protection (familial love) or attraction (romantic love).

Well in that case you have some pretty ignorant co-workers - I could give you a response easy enough to most of them:

Rats are vermin prone to carry disease - they're not just unclean like chickens; not eating rat is more about health than them being filthy.

Take Maslows Heirachy of Needs - Food is level with air, water, sex, sleep in the physiological section (the base of the pyramid): food is not more beneficial than anything else.

Untrue:

Deuteronomy 17:17 - Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Exodus 20:17 17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife [Singular], or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s

Response: No. There is no different types of love, since every type you just named still involves the concept of caring for someone. So it is the same type of love expressed differently. As for the rest, it's rather pointless, for the answers I provided did what it was supposed to do, which was to satisfy my co-workers to understand. So whether you agree to them is irrelevant.
Response: No. There is no different types of love, since every type you just named still involves the concept of caring for someone. So it is the same type of love expressed differently. As for the rest, it's rather pointless, for the answers I provided did what it was supposed to do, which was to satisfy my co-workers to understand. So whether you agree to them is irrelevant.

Le sigh - the different types of love have entirely different bases, as I said - attraction, protection & social bonding provide different types of love entirely. Just having one familiar aspect does not make them the same - psychology says as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

aren't you the guy who was arguing that gay relationships cannot be based on love because men and women each feel a different kind of love? and yet here you are saying there is only one kind of love.

Debunked as usual.

One of the problems that people who translate the bible into Latin and then later into English, is that both Latin and English have a lack of words to describe the different forms of love. If we look at the KJV bible, we see in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 a passage talking of charity.

"Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up..."

When Jerome was originally translating the Greek New Testament into Latin, he encountered a problem. The Greek language has many words for love, but Latin only has one word for love and it is 'amor'. Amor is more of a sexual/romantic love and would not be appropriate to use such a word to talk of brotherly love or God's love for humankind. He thus chose to translate the term as 'caritas' which is the etymological origin from which we derive the English word Charity.

In the passage above where in English the bible uses the word charity, in the original Greek, the word ἀγάπη (agape) is used. Agape essentially describes a spiritual and unconditional love like that of God's love for mankind and thus the Latin 'amor' and the English 'love' do not suffice.

Greek also has a number of other words for love such as:

Eros (ἔρως) which is a sexual/romantic love
Philia (φιλία) which is a brotherly love that one would have for their friends
Storge (στοργή) which an affectionate love that a parent would show to their children

There are different types of love, but we are constrained by the English language.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Le sigh - the different types of love have entirely different bases, as I said - attraction, protection & social bonding provide different types of love entirely. Just having one familiar aspect does not make them the same - psychology says as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Response: Yet there is no different types of love, supported by your own logic, as you have only described different acts of love. All of which are still based on caring for someone. So the love is not different, but as you just demonstrated, the same love, expressed differently.
Reply 9
Original post by lucaf
aren't you the guy who was arguing that gay relationships cannot be based on love because men and women each feel a different kind of love? and yet here you are saying there is only one kind of love.

Debunked as usual.

Response: No. I was the person who proved that sex between the same sex is based on lust and not love, supported by your inability to show otherwise.

Debunked as usual.
Response: Yet there is no different types of love, supported by your own logic, as you have only described different acts of love. All of which are still based on caring for someone. So the love is not different, but as you just demonstrated, the same love, expressed differently.

It's not the same love expressed differently - if you read the post you'd note that the different loves have entirely different bases - they are not the same, nor are they based on caring for someone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It's not the same love expressed differently - if you read the post you'd note that the different loves have entirely different bases - they are not the same, nor are they based on caring for someone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Response: Yet the very definition of love is to care. So your logic that love is not based on caring for someone is your own made up language. So when gibberish actually becomes an official language, then you will have a point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Response: No. I was the person who proved that sex between the same sex is based on lust and not love, supported by your inability to show otherwise.

Debunked as usual.

Haha yeah, whatever you say mate. Good to know that even you don't think you can make a consistent argument.
Reply 13
Original post by lucaf
Haha yeah, whatever you say mate. Good to know that even you don't think you can make a consistent argument.

Response: And yet your weak rebuttal and lack of proof as usual shows us otherwise.
Reply 14
Response: Yet the very definition of love is to care. So your logic that love is not based on caring for someone is your own made up language. So when gibberish actually becomes an official language, then you will have a point.

And yep, because gays can't care about eachother right? :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lucaf
And yep, because gays can't care about eachother right? :rollseyes :

Response: If you want me to expose you again concerning homosexuality, create a thread, and like always, I'll expose you. Otherwise, hush, since you are clearly not ready.
Reply 16
Response: If you want me to expose you again concerning homosexuality, create a thread, and like always, I'll expose you. Otherwise, hush, since you are clearly not ready.

And are you planning to use the same argument as before, the one you just contradicted here yourself? I am alright thanks, i would say arguing with you is like arguing with a wall but I would think even a wall couldn't go for a dozen pages without backing up a single one of its points.
Reply 17
Original post by lucaf
And are you planning to use the same argument as before, the one you just contradicted here yourself? I am alright thanks, i would say arguing with you is like arguing with a wall but I would think even a wall couldn't go for a dozen pages without backing up a single one of its points.

Response: Likewise.

Love is not based on caring alone - different types of love have different bases - this is well known in psychology. I know you aren't going to bother reading it, hence why until this point I've not taken the time to pull it up, but look at this: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/3222_ReganChapter1_Final.pdf The Sternberg Triangular Theory of Love (originally laid out in this text if you can read German: http://homepage.univie.ac.at/Andreas.Olbrich/referatliebe2.pdf) lays out the different types of love and how they different, and is widely accepted throughout psychology.
Reply 19
Love is not based on caring alone - different types of love have different bases - this is well known in psychology. I know you aren't going to bother reading it, hence why until this point I've not taken the time to pull it up, but look at this: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/3222_ReganChapter1_Final.pdf The Sternberg Triangular Theory of Love (originally laid out in this text if you can read German: http://homepage.univie.ac.at/Andreas.Olbrich/referatliebe2.pdf) lays out the different types of love and how they different, and is widely accepted throughout psychology.

Response: Psychology does not define words. The dictionary does. And the definition of love is to care. So again, your point is pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending