The Student Room Group

What Apprenticeship could suit me?

Hello,
I'm coming up to 16 and i'm in my final year at Secondary School. When I leave school I would like to go into an Apprenticeship as I like the idea of Earning whilst Learning and the fact that it can secure me a job.
Recently I have been looking for Apprenticeships with big companies such as TFL,BT and British Gas ect. It seems that I have missed the deadline for all of the TFL apprenticeships. I am more capable at doing jobs with my hands such as putting things together and taking things apart apposed to working in an office i am also very passionate about IT & Computing.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some names or some of some big companies that are employing 16 year olds for apprenticeships that would suit me in the 'London/Essex' area.
Any personal experiences given would help.

Thanks for reading
WHUFC06
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Worth checking out IBM and Microsoft both have great schemes but the microsoft one is generally better and pays better :smile:
Reply 3

Hi thanks for your response, I have looked on that website and it doesn't seem specific enough and it seems that there is mainly small business's on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SoFuturistic
Worth checking out IBM and Microsoft both have great schemes but the microsoft one is generally better and pays better :smile:

Hi
Thanks for your response, I was looking at Microsoft and I went on the Microsoft website, I'm not sure if I weren't looking into it enough but the apprenticeships didn't seem very clear.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by WHUFC06
Hi thanks for your response, I have looked on that website and it doesn't seem specific enough and it seems that there is mainly small business's on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best option in my opinion if you want to get into a top firm is do your A levels. Companies like Microsoft are really tough to get into without A levels just to get an apprenticeship is tough because competition is very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WHUFC06
Hello,
I'm coming up to 16 and i'm in my final year at Secondary School. When I leave school I would like to go into an Apprenticeship as I like the idea of Earning whilst Learning and the fact that it can secure me a job.
Recently I have been looking for Apprenticeships with big companies such as TFL,BT and British Gas ect. It seems that I have missed the deadline for all of the TFL apprenticeships. I am more capable at doing jobs with my hands such as putting things together and taking things apart apposed to working in an office i am also very passionate about IT & Computing.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some names or some of some big companies that are employing 16 year olds for apprenticeships that would suit me in the 'London/Essex' area.
Any personal experiences given would help.

Thanks for reading
WHUFC06

Hello WHUFC06,

QA do some really good IT Apprenticeships. If you visit http://apprenticeships.qa.com/ and then perform an Apprenticeship Vacancy Search it will come up with all of the current vacancies in which ever area you select. Really good apprenticeships, particularly for IT and Business.

I am currently doing a Level 4 Apprenticeship with them :biggrin: but there are Level 3 Apprenticeships as well.

Hope this helps :smile:

Kind regards,

Maisie
Original post by qr95
The best option in my opinion if you want to get into a top firm is do your A levels. Companies like Microsoft are really tough to get into without A levels just to get an apprenticeship is tough because competition is very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you please link me to Microsoft Apprenticeship because I keep getting QA. :/

[just as a backup]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Could you please link me to Microsoft Apprenticeship because I keep getting QA. :/

[just as a backup]

Hello again,

They are currently recruiting - if you email [email protected] they will be able to advise you on the programme and how to apply.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Maisie
Original post by CGI Student Team
Hello again,

They are currently recruiting - if you email [email protected] they will be able to advise you on the programme and how to apply.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Maisie

Thank you for the help :smile:
One more question - do you know of any Higher Apprenticeship similar to Mi5, Mi6 and GCHQ (in IT, internet and telecomms) that are well paid and well taught?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Thank you for the help :smile:
One more question - do you know of any Higher Apprenticeship similar to Mi5, Mi6 and GCHQ (in IT, internet and telecomms) that are well paid and well taught?

Hello,

I am not too sure - I would have a look at The National Apprenticeship Service or Plotr.

I am currently doing a Higher IT Apprenticeship as part of a Sponsored Degree - Start out on £13,000 and rises to £26,000 when you graduate. But it isn't just an Apprenticeship, it is also a degree. Great money and job opportunity.

Definitely try those two sites though :biggrin:

Hope you find one!

Maisie
Hello,

I am not too sure - I would have a look at The National Apprenticeship Service or Plotr.

I am currently doing a Higher IT Apprenticeship as part of a Sponsored Degree - Start out on £13,000 and rises to £26,000 when you graduate. But it isn't just an Apprenticeship, it is also a degree. Great money and job opportunity.

Hope you find one!

Maisie

Hi, thank you I will have a look at those sites.
Good Luck with your sponsored degree programme! :smile:
Reply 12
Hello,

Hope you find one!

Maisie

What is your job role? How do you get a degree on an apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95
What is your job role? How do you get a degree on an apprenticeship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Well I am doing a Sponsored Degree Programme with an IT Company so the company pay for my degree and give me a job - then on top of the degree, I also gain a Higher IT Apprenticeship. As the Apprenticeship is IT and the degree I am studying has elements of IT, some modules are cross-mapped. Others are learnt/done on the job. Pretty intense but so far so good :biggrin:

Over the three year programme I will get to experience all different roles - from testing/programming roles to business consulting/analyst/project management roles. So that by the time I graduate, I know which career path I want to take... Or at least have a pretty good idea :smile:

Hope this makes sense :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hello,

Well I am doing a Sponsored Degree Programme with an IT Company so the company pay for my degree and give me a job - then on top of the degree, I also gain a Higher IT Apprenticeship. As the Apprenticeship is IT and the degree I am studying has elements of IT, some modules are cross-mapped. Others are learnt/done on the job. Pretty intense but so far so good :biggrin:

Over the three year programme I will get to experience all different roles - from testing/programming roles to business consulting/analyst/project management roles. So that by the time I graduate, I know which career path I want to take... Or at least have a pretty good idea :smile:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good.
Hello,

Hi is the company by any chance Capgemini?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibraheem Ahmad
Hi is the company by any chance Capgemini?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello there,

No it's not, but close :biggrin: it's CGI (used to be Logica)
Reply 17
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I will have a look.
Would you mind if I asked, did you get an apprenticeship straight from school?

Thanks
WHUFC06
Original post by WHUFC06
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I will have a look.
Would you mind if I asked, did you get an apprenticeship straight from school?

Thanks
WHUFC06

Hello there,

No, I went to College and did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business then came onto the Sponsored Degree Programme. Although, if I could go back I would do an Apprenticeship over College - Only takes 12 months, get paid and get work experience :smile:

Thanks,

Maisie
Hello there,

No, I went to College and did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business then came onto the Sponsored Degree Programme. Although, if I could go back I would do an Apprenticeship over College - Only takes 12 months, get paid and get work experience :smile:

Thanks,

Maisie

Hi, for CGI did you require a lot of experience or knowledge for coding with your apprenticeship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending