The Student Room Group

U.S. Mom w/question re: HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA

We are from the U.S. and I am trying to assist my daughter, who is interested in studying business in London, find a reputable, well-regarded business program that offers an HND. She came up with this path because we are looking for a 2 year experience/program (one year study abroad option was too short for HER and a 3 year commitment too long for ME ). She has done her own research and is looking to obtain an HND in the UK with her plan being to return to the U.S. to obtain her Bachelor's Degree. She has completed one semester as a Freshman at a University here but is not satisfied with the school as well as having concern regarding the debt she will have accumulated if she stayed at this school. She is seeking a different experience where she can broaden her cultural view (she has a passion for anything British) but would also like a more accelerated career-oriented program than the one she was currently enrolled in. She was an 'A' student in high school, was very involved in sports, clubs and student gov't, and was accepted into the business school at a university in CT, where her GPA for the semester was 2.89. She was not the greatest standardized test taker (if I remember correctly, her SAT's were approx. 1700).

We are in the midst of researching the programs offered at The London School of Business and Finance and The London School of Business and Management. She is also looking into some of the universities that offer an HND (Kingston so far).

My question is regarding the validity of this degree and the transferability of the credits (particularly from a vocational type of school such as The London School of Business and Management). My understanding is that the HND is above the U.S. Associate's Degree but just below a Bachelor Degree. Does anyone know how this degree and/or the vocational type of business schools she is looking into are regarded in the U.S. (or even in the UK)?

Of course, any feedback of any kind would be VERY much appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by LacrosseChick
We are from the U.S. and I am trying to assist my daughter, who is interested in studying business in London, find a reputable, well-regarded business program that offers an HND. She came up with this path because we are looking for a 2 year experience/program (one year study abroad option was too short for HER and a 3 year commitment too long for ME ). She has done her own research and is looking to obtain an HND in the UK with her plan being to return to the U.S. to obtain her Bachelor's Degree. She has completed one semester as a Freshman at a University here but is not satisfied with the school as well as having concern regarding the debt she will have accumulated if she stayed at this school. She is seeking a different experience where she can broaden her cultural view (she has a passion for anything British) but would also like a more accelerated career-oriented program than the one she was currently enrolled in. She was an 'A' student in high school, was very involved in sports, clubs and student gov't, and was accepted into the business school at a university in CT, where her GPA for the semester was 2.89. She was not the greatest standardized test taker (if I remember correctly, her SAT's were approx. 1700).

We are in the midst of researching the programs offered at The London School of Business and Finance and The London School of Business and Management. She is also looking into some of the universities that offer an HND (Kingston so far).

My question is regarding the validity of this degree and the transferability of the credits (particularly from a vocational type of school such as The London School of Business and Management). My understanding is that the HND is above the U.S. Associate's Degree but just below a Bachelor Degree. Does anyone know how this degree and/or the vocational type of business schools she is looking into are regarded in the U.S. (or even in the UK)?

The London School for Business and Finance and the London School of Business and Management aren't very well known even in the UK, the former for example is a private business school- these tend to be largely favoured by wealthy international students who assume because its got the name London in or because its in the UK it automatically must be good. Most UK students can't afford it because they charge more than you can get a loan for and some programmes are for international students only. I've no idea how good it actually is, but its small as well and wont offer the typical British university experience whilst Kingston University is considered near the bottom rung of universities- i.e,. its not got a brilliant reputation.

And again its not very common for students to take an HND on its own here (I think slightly more common in Scotland but not in the rest of the UK). They are normally taken by students who don't have the entry requirements to get onto full degrees, often mature as well, so need to prove their worth with the HND before they can get their BA/BSc. I don't know of any well regarded UK unis which offer HNDs but I could be wrong in this matter. Can't talk to the US
(edited 10 years ago)

A good grade in the HND will stand her in good stead for most bachelors programs at least in the UK the grades break down like this.

Pass (lowest passing grade like a C)
Merit (this is the middle grade like a B)
Distinction (this is a top grade like an A)

It's worth bearing in mind in an HND you must pass every thing if you drop 1 module it's a fail.

I did an HND first of all the topped up 1 year for a bachelors Bsc. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

As explained by other posters HNDs are fairly unusual and tend to be offered by smaller universities or universities with a high number of mature students.

You might find your options expanded if your daughter applied for a BA/BSc in Business/Management but only completed the first 2 years. *Generally* universities will offer a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE - equivalent to an HND) for this and it should be possible to find out if such "early exit awards" are available on BA/BSc courses prior to applying.

Another equivalent of an HND is a Foundation Degree. These are generally vocational in nature.

With any course it is worth checking about any placements and whether they're allowed under visa restrictions.

Finally you may want to look closer at Buckingham. It is a unique university within the UK that operates a 3 semesters per year teaching calendar - which basically means they award a full degree within 2 years study. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/about/twoyear They're fairly small and not located in London (although close enough to easily visit for the day) so might not be what you're looking for but they also have a very strong reputation for doing what they do well and keeping students happy and helping them do well in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending